aberdeen-music

Radiohead - The King of Limbs

Paranoid Android

I seem to have lost interest in Radiohead, I used to buy their albums as a matter of course but have had no inkling to pick up this new one. I think in my mind they have had their day to be honest, 'OK Computer' was good album (over-rated I feel) and left of field enough to surprise when they could have followed a more straightforward 'The Bends' identikit approach. 'Kid A' and 'Amnesiac' were interesting diversions and showed willingness to shake things up. 'Hail to the Thief' contained probably my favourite Radiohead song in 'There There' but 'In Rainbows' didn't do much for me. It's an OK album and probably better than most band's output but from what I've heard about this new one it's another attempt to pull a 'Kid A' and it seems like they are just rehashing old ground while taking advantage of their past success and following to get away with an unusual release strategy.

Have I just got it wrong?

I'll probably end up buying it when it's going cheap to be honest.

that's pretty much how I feel about Radiohead so you're not alone! I've listened to 'King Of Limbs' a lot and it doesn't do much for me at all. Couple of half decent tracks but no more. They remain one of those bands who can do no wrong in the eyes of many but I find most their albums patchy, when they're good they can be amazing but all too often their material sounds lazy and uninspiring. They know they don't need to put all that much effort in because critics and fans will wank over them regardless. I'm very bored with millionaire Thom Yorke moaning and whining!

Probably be shot down in flames for those comments - its just an opinion, they're like arseholes everyone has one!

Diversions from their more guitar orientated sound which they abandoned to largely return to that sound on 'Hail to the Thief' is all I meant.

As I say, I haven't heard the new album, but I read somewhere that it had similarities to 'Kid A'.

I was kind of wondering if this was indeed the case or not.

Ok, I might have misinterpreted some of your earlier post. I wouldn't really say TKOL sounds very much like Kid A at all, other than both sound very much like Radiohead.

that's pretty much how I feel about Radiohead so you're not alone! I've listened to 'King Of Limbs' a lot and it doesn't do much for me at all. Couple of half decent tracks but no more. They remain one of those bands who can do no wrong in the eyes of many but I find most their albums patchy, when they're good they can be amazing but all too often their material sounds lazy and uninspiring. They know they don't need to put all that much effort in because critics and fans will wank over them regardless. I'm very bored with millionaire Thom Yorke moaning and whining!

Probably be shot down in flames for those comments - its just an opinion, they're like arseholes everyone has one!

Seems a weird conclusion to make that just because you don't like something it means the band weren't really trying.

Seems a weird conclusion to make that just because you don't like something it means the band weren't really trying.

What I mean is Radiohead have put out as much poor shit in my opinion as good stuff, half the time to me they don't sound like they're trying. Thom Yorke moans, Ed O'brien plays some art wank guitar, Phil Selway thumps on some drums. Radiohead don't need to try because the masses will wank over them.... When they're good they're amazing but more often than not I've found them disappointing because they don't reach the highs I know they're capable of. of course they don't make albums for me personally but I find them so frustrating.

I think King Of Limbs is a poor album as was In Rainbows, both have a couple of tracks which thrilled me but the rest I can leave. I still think their best album is Pablo Honey which a lot of people slate but for me its their only album so far that every song is a complete winner. even OK Computer had a few fillers on it.

They're so frustrating for me Radiohead when they thrill they thrill like very few bands and artists can do. But when they're shit, they're awful.

Do the masses really wank over them? Sure they get a lot of media coverage but I read as much negative as positive written about them. And Radiohead forums certainly aren't full of people praising every move they make.

Obviously everyone has their own taste, I just don't get the they're not trying argument. I think Pablo Honey and The Bends are very weak records compared to their others (i do still enjoy them to an extent though) but it doesn't make me think the band put less into those albums than the others.

After having it for a couple of months I'd put TKOL in the better half of their discography.

I think the masses do wank over them in abundance. Radiohead can do no wrong in the eyes of so many. Personally I judge them on their output and I found TKOL as patchy and unispired as most their albums save Pablo Honey which is almost always overlooked. Creep for me is the weakest song on that album but still pretty special (so very special lol).

I say they're not trying because they can put out a new album and just about everyone will rave about it, its happened for all their albums since OK Computer. Kid A was a poor follow up but Idioteque still reduces me to tears and goosepimples down my spine. When they're good in my world Radiohead are untouchable and move me like very few bands and artists can.

This thread on TKOL has almost universally been a wankfest on how great the album is. As someone whose loved the band since the first album the only song that comes anywhere to their high standard for me is the opening track 'Separator'. 'All I Need' and 'Bodysnatchers' from 'In Rainbows' did it for me but the rest just didn't cut the mustard.

It's all about opinion at the end of the day I know but I still think Radiohead are patchy but by jove when they're good they're amazing.

This thread on TKOL has almost universally been a wankfest on how great the album is.

That's because I've made 80% of the posts :O

The reaction of most Radiohead fans (in internet world) has actually been pretty negative towards this.

Anyway I'm not trying to deny someones opinion so it's not really worth going on with the point of "trying" much more.

We clearly have different opinions. You think Kid A was a poor follow up, I think it is the best album ever made.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've got a couple of spare copies of The Universal Sigh off of e-bay (job lot!).

anyone want to buy them?

6 quid each & I'll post them out.

That covers my costs & it's not rip off ebay prices.

Folk on eBay charge MORE than 6 for a bloody newspaper? Wow..

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So the From The Bassment performance was broadcast for the first time tonight on Spanish TV. A user on atease has managed to capture it and get it up on youtube. It's not the highest quality but more than good enough.

Here is Bloom YouTube - ‪Radiohead - Bloom (From The Basement)‬‏

The rest of the songs have been uploaded / are being uploaded tonight to that channel.

I've only watched this one track so far but it was excellent.

Debatably my favourite Radiohead album. I can listen to it from start to finish without losing interest or wanting to skip a weak track, and I don't often find that with many albums because I suffer from ADHD.

Oh look, a squirrel. (is this thing on? testing, testing...1..2)