aberdeen-music

get a grip

Aileen

dont bother man. theres no point.

I agree with you i went to see brand new this year and it was clear that most of the harmonies had been done in the studio and not really by the band if you know what i mean. Im know that your studio work is suppose to be the best you can sound and obvously adding those harmonies adds a lot to the songs but i was disapointed when some of the songs sounded flat without them.

yer i see what ya mean. thats always something ya have to be careful of in studios because it would be so easy just to say nah cant be bothered doing that take again lets just do it on the computer.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stripey
yer i see what ya mean. thats always something ya have to be careful of in studios because it would be so easy just to say nah cant be bothered doing that take again lets just do it on the computer.

To use the local lingo : "ye da hae a scoobie min, ya tourist".

Yeh totaly but you wouldn't come away with the same satisfaction if you did them all on computers.

We obviously will be using computers to add effects and to mix the cd but we're happy with that as it will improve the sound. that part of the technology is obviously good.

Guest prerogative

p.s; I aint a PoO fan of sorts myself, but that's through my own listening ears, yet i don't go round saying their pants becasue of what they choose to sing about/ which direction they head which their music, they play what they play and they're good at it, otherwise why would anyone bother going tae see 'em?. So let them be, and respect them for what they do, if it sounding good to them, who are they to care what others think, as I'm sure they'll be aware no band, will ever get the majority vote, but for the small masses that cherish, adore and support them will tell you they can't be as bad as which you speak of (edit; as will others who aint keen, but know they're good at what they do! END)

the ideal girl, in london from france; came over then left me, she left me entranced; now i have to get by once again on my own, nothing but memories

Guest The Reverend Z. Munch

Musicians all have their own agendas/motivations/inspirations for making music.

I am sure both POO and Stripey both enjoy making the music they make.

POO also make music because they have a laugh playing music, Stripey wants to create something serious and artful.

Therefore your reasons for making music differ yet both of you are taking potshots at one another's credibility, its kinda pointless because you both make different types of music which probably don't appeal to one another, its like saying "my music's better than your's... because it just is"

The shit i have read for the last couple of pages on this thread comes down to something that equals a shoving contest between two kids in some primary school playground....

Ya pair of muso gaylord fuckpigs....FIGHT TO THE DEATH!!!

No more of these clawy catfights!!

KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL!!!!!!!!!!

Stripey has a good point about technology. Both my studios use macs running pro tools for production and mastering. All the mixing desks are digital, as are the sequencers and most synths. We still use old analogue synths because of their great sound on occasion.

We recently completed a project for a band who wanted to avoid digital and use tape a la White Stripes. So we dug out the old half inch 8 tracks and it was a pain in the arse. All the engineers were too young to have used tape so I had to do it all myself. It took forever, cutting and splicing, dealing with hiss and saturation. They didn't want digital mastering, so it was valve compressors and analogue desks. Strangely, they wanted their project on CD so they had to sell out in the end to make a glass master.

Modern technology makes all this so much easier and quicker and cleaner. And when the pop idol crowd come in wanting demos, you can knock up a backing track in minutes using a hardware sequencer. Our TV and film music studio does complete orchestral mixes in the digital domain without paying a fortune to hire 100 classical musicians at 60 per hour each.

Technology rules.

ps. It's still shit at doing distorted guitars though.

Up the Tooting^H^H^H^HAberdeen Popular Front!

REVOLUTION! SOCIAL JUSTICE FOR ALL!

citizensmith_3.jpg

I think this guy is probably more appropriate to describe the rantings of Allsystemsfail.

rickpeas.jpg

Musicians all have their own agendas/motivations/inspirations for making music.

I am sure both POO and Stripey both enjoy making the music they make.

POO also make music because they have a laugh playing music' date=' Stripey wants to create something serious and artful.

Therefore your reasons for making music differ yet both of you are taking potshots at one another's credibility, its kinda pointless because you both make different types of music which probably don't appeal to one another, its like saying "my music's better than your's... because it just is"

The shit i have read for the last couple of pages on this thread comes down to something that equals a shoving contest between two kids in some primary school playground....

Ya pair of muso gaylord fuckpigs....FIGHT TO THE DEATH!!!

No more of these clawy catfights!!

KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL!!!!!!!!!![/quote']

Bloody hell.....thats all a bit diplomatic for you innit Mr Munch...?

So much so in fact that I agree with every word.....especially the "gaylord fuckpigs....FIGHT TO THE DEATH!!! " bit. :up:

Guest allsystemsfail
I think this guy is probably more appropriate to describe the rantings of Allsystemsfail.

rickpeas.jpg

Rantings? I say what I think, and believe passionately in my politics. Is that such a crime? Oh, and while some can only talk about their politics, I take action. Can you say the same ZM?

Rantings? I say what I think' date=' and believe passionately in my politics. Is that such a crime? Oh, and while some can only talk about their politics, I take action.[/quote']

Care to list all these revolutions in full detail Mr Guevara?

Can you say the same ZM?

I don't need to say the same as you, i am my own person.

Guest allsystemsfail
Care to list all these revolutions in full detail Mr Guevara?

Revolutions? I'm talking about political action - taking action on the streets and in the community. For your information' date=' I have been politically active now for 20 years, both here and in London. Some of the groups with whom I've been involved include the Mclibel Support Campaign, Grampian Earth First, Aberdeen Anti-Poll Tax Union, London Animal Action, and Haringey Solidarity Group, involved in many many other campaigns as well as supporting individual protests too. Now add my attachment to a myriad of @ groups. I'm also currently involved in the setting up of an autonomous social centre here in Aberdeen.

I don't need to say the same as you, i am my own person.

I was referring to you also taking action - an involvment in political protest.

Really, I'm puzzled why you should choose to take a swipe at me like this. Afterall, we both held with the very same views in our exchanges with Louis Louie. Hey, we even supported each others posts.

Revolutions? I'm talking about political action - taking action on the streets and in the community. For your information' date=' I have been politically active now for 20 years, both here and in London. Some of the groups with whom I've been involved include the Mclibel Support Campaign, Grampian Earth First, Aberdeen Anti-Poll Tax Union, London Animal Action, and Haringey Solidarity Group, involved in many many other campaigns as well as supporting individual protests too. Now add my attachment to a myriad of @ groups. I'm also currently involved in the setting up of an autonomous social centre here in Aberdeen. [/quote']

And all this political activism you've been involved in...do you feel like these endeavours of your's make you a more worthwhile human being?

Don't you feel like a cunt when you walk past a McDonalds and people are eating burgers made out of cows that have been slaughtered by a man who isn't thinking of the poor cow's feelings but his own bank balance? Don't you just hate that trees are cut down to make the paper boxes these hamburgers that cows have had their throats cut for were made out of trees that were also cut down by someone who is only thinking of money to feed and clothe their families?

Don't you just wish you could kill these people? if you had a wish, wouldn't you just love to hang these money-making fuckers up by their feet and cut their fucking throats and stuff the money they make out of killing poor defenceless livestock that can't punch back with their hooves in the slit that you've just sliced open with a knife that should be used to kill capitalists and not cows?

Then you could take that knife and dismember, gut, decapitate and generally make a right fucking mess of their stinking fatcat-bumkissing worthless cunt bodies and then feed their body parts and guts and innards and their eyes and ears to those poor pigs that are killed so people can enjoy bacon rolls or fry-ups in the morning, wouldn't you just love to do that?

In fact, then you go kill the fatcats and feed their bodies to those battery chickens and then tie a Duracell battery representative to the ground, glue some chickenfeed to his eyelids and then get chickens to hen-peck his fucking eyes out...cos its his fault the word "battery" exists!!!!

And what about the fuckers who use hairspray, those bastards are spraying CFCs into the air and puncturing a big fucking hole in the ozone layer, wouldn't you like to get the guy responsible for selling this shit on the market and grab him by the hair and scalp the fucking hair right off his skull?????

Well, would you????? WOULD YOUUUUUUUUU??????!!!!!!!!!!

Cos lets face it, all this political activism in these pokey little groups full of new age travellers and dreadlocked losers isn't working is it?

I was referring to you also taking action - an involvment in political protest.

Look "Swampy", even i was involved in any political activism, i wouldn't be revealing anything about it on a public messageboard, my political stance is my business, not anyone else's.

Really, I'm puzzled why you should choose to take a swipe at me like this. Afterall, we both held with the very same views in our exchanges with Louis Louie. Hey, we even supported each others posts.

I didn't support anyone, i represent myself, i don't take anyone's side, Zombie Munch is his own person and i don't need anyone to back me up. I fight my own battles. End of story.

I didn't support anyone' date=' i represent myself, i don't take anyone's side, Zombie Munch is his own person and i don't need anyone to back me up. I fight my own battles. End of story.[/quote']

I'll back him up on that. It's true.

Oh don't worry Graeme, both you and Bob are safe from the Zombie's wrath...

You were both good blokes when i met you both and you got my respect...

Well, for now anyway....

Guest allsystemsfail
And all this political activism you've been involved in...do you feel like these endeavours of your's make you a more worthwhile human being?

Don't you feel like a cunt when you walk past a McDonalds and people are eating burgers made out of cows that have been slaughtered by a man who isn't thinking of the poor cow's feelings but his own bank balance? Don't you just hate that trees are cut down to make the paper boxes these hamburgers that cows have had their throats cut for were made out of trees that were also cut down by someone who is only thinking of money to feed and clothe their families?

Don't you just wish you could kill these people? if you had a wish' date=' wouldn't you just love to hang these money-making fuckers up by their feet and cut their fucking throats and stuff the money they make out of killing poor defenceless livestock that can't punch back with their hooves in the slit that you've just sliced open with a knife that should be used to kill capitalists and not cows?

Then you could take that knife and dismember, gut, decapitate and generally make a right fucking mess of their stinking fatcat-bumkissing worthless cunt bodies and then feed their body parts and guts and innards and their eyes and ears to those poor pigs that are killed so people can enjoy bacon rolls or fry-ups in the morning, wouldn't you just love to do that?

In fact, then you go kill the fatcats and feed their bodies to those battery chickens and then tie a Duracell battery representative to the ground, glue some chickenfeed to his eyelids and then get chickens to hen-peck his fucking eyes out...cos its his fault the word "battery" exists!!!!

And what about the fuckers who use hairspray, those bastards are spraying CFCs into the air and puncturing a big fucking hole in the ozone layer, wouldn't you like to get the guy responsible for selling this shit on the market and grab him by the hair and scalp the fucking hair right off his skull?????

Well, would you????? WOULD YOUUUUUUUUU??????!!!!!!!!!!

Cos lets face it, all this political activism in these pokey little groups full of new age travellers and dreadlocked losers isn't working is it?

Look "Swampy", even i was involved in any political activism, i wouldn't be revealing anything about it on a public messageboard, my political stance is my business, not anyone else's.

I didn't support anyone, i represent myself, i don't take anyone's side, Zombie Munch is his own person and i don't need anyone to back me up. I fight my own battles. End of story.[/quote']

These pokey little groups as you put it have indeed pushed forward change. Remember the poll tax? It was because of the actions of groups such as Aberdeen Anti-Poll Tax Union and Haringey Solidarity Group that the poll tax was defeated - they playing a crucial role in the movement's success. It was because of Earth First (and the wider anti-roads movement) that the then government's huge road building programme was shelved. This then inspired many other victories. It was because of the bravery of two anarchists - in fighting a court action brought by McDonalds, that the abusive practices of the corporation were exposed, the activities of the McLibel Support Campaign gaining world wide recognition.

And new age travellers and dreadlocked losers? Almost all of the people with whom I've been involved politically have been ordinary working people. So forget the nonsense you read in the capitalist press, who seek only to ridicule or demonize that which they believe a threat.

The posting of my political activities here? I've nothing to hide.

Look, I've had no arguement with you. I've at no time posted against you, coz hey, you've made some great posts here. So why this attack?

. It was because of the bravery of two anarchists - in fighting a court action brought by McDonalds' date=' that the abusive practices of the corporation were exposed, the activities of the McLibel Support Campaign gaining world wide recognition. [/quote']

Ach, i don't really give a fuck about McDonalds, i prefer Burger King.

And new age travellers and dreadlocked losers? Almost all of the people with whom I've been involved politically have been ordinary working people. So forget the nonsense you read in the capitalist press, who seek only to ridicule or demonize that which they believe a threat.

I take it new age travellers or dreadlocked losers don't work then and aren't ordinary?

Why are new age travellers called "new age travellers" anyway? do they go on holiday on their birthday every year or something?

The posting of my political activities here? I've nothing to hide.

Fair enough, thats your perogative. I just prefer to keep my political and religious beliefs to myself as well as details of my personal life...

Look, I've had no arguement with you. I've at no time posted against you, coz hey, you've made some great posts here. So why this attack?

Its not an attack as such, i just think your posts are a bit "RIGHT ON!" sometimes and you come across as a bit of a self-aggrandising bastard and some of the things you said towards Stripey's own views about music in this city just came across to me as a bit holier than thou.

But you're not the only one in this thread whose ego obviously means more to them than telling the bare-faced truth, i think a lot of the attacks levelled at the Stripester comes down to some egos not being able to handle the truth.

However, in the case against Stripey, i think he is a bit evasive in some of his responses although i ain't exactly one to talk because i am evasive all the time but mainly because i ain't afraid to say what i think and don't give a fuck if anyone else can't handle a dose of harsh reality. I think in his case, he doesn't really look at the whole picture a lot of the time and thus thats what makes a lot of his arguments flawed.

Despite that though, I ain't here to dilly dally around and big up every person in here like we're all one big happy family, there's too much of that pish in here and basically i'm surprised a lot of people who use this messageboard don't get sore lips the amount of times they're puckering up to kiss ass. I think the problem with a lot of people on these boards is that they're too afraid to say what they really think in case they lose face with a lot of people within "the scene"...

Put it this way, there's nothing i say on these messageboards that i wouldn't say to anyone's face and i think in that instance, maybe thats why i get some level of respect from people on here. The way i see things - if you can't handle your music being criticised then don't make music cos if you can't handle criticism from punters that go to your gigs then you're not gonna handle it any better if a journalist or a record company person criticises it either...but the punters are the ones who are your best critics cos they see the performances and hear the music for themselves to make a valid form of criticism, maybe thats the problem with Stripey's views because he openly admitted to not going to see many gigs.

However, I do think its quite funny how people like myself and Stripey are made out to be the villains when it comes to arguments like this, sorry but the truth fucking hurts for some people sometimes but i think dishonesty and lies are a damn sight more painful...i think maybe thats where Bob's comments about backstabbing comes in.

It was because of Earth First (and the wider anti-roads movement) that the then government's huge road building programme was shelved.

So those are the cunts we've got to blame for Britain's shite transport network?

maybe thats the problem with Stripey's views because he openly admitted to not going to see many gigs.

Well apart from the fact I really don't like Stripey, the problem *I* have with his views is that they come across as being even more insular and closed-minded than the people he thinks he's above. Also, the phrase "broken record" springs to mind. That in combination with the fact he constantly de-rails threads to suite his own agenda annoys me, not his attacks on me or my band.

Well apart from the fact I really don't like Stripey' date=' the problem *I* have with his views is that they come across as being even more insular and closed-minded than the people he thinks he's above. Also, the phrase "broken record" springs to mind. That in combination with the fact he constantly de-rails threads to suite his own agenda annoys me, not his attacks on me or my band.[/quote']

To be honest, i think a lot of the things he tends to say is designed entirely and deliberately to wind people like you up...

And lets face it, look at the amount of pages this thread has tallied up and the amount of responses to stuff he has said...i think the words "rise" and "bait" definitely spring to mind there

In saying that though, i think he has some pretty valid points although his arguments are flawed in the sense that yeah, his views are bound to be insular and closed-minded though because its his own opinion, he is an individual and therefore has the right to have his own opinion....however...

I think some of his opinions are flawed and lacking in much tact and conclusive evidence to back up some pretty strong-worded comments but still, like i said...its one guy's opinion but i think the rather disturbingly incestuous lynch mob mentality of some of the sad fuckers on this thread who've posted shit against the fella have basically just made themselves look stupid for falling for the same "broken record" style comments he keeps coming out with, which usually consist of stuff like "all Aberdonians are thick untalented bastards with no ambition or innovation in them" or whatever...

Whats the fucking point of taking a sweeping generalisation like that seriously?...looking through some of the comments on this thread, some people do indeed take it seriously...

The Stripester is probably just relishing in laughing at the thought that he is rabble-rousing by saying something mildly controversial like "Aberdonians are a bunch of brainless primordial homunculus cretins who make music for buffoons!" and then getting a fucking plethora of people responding to such a message, you're just entertaining the guy doing that...

Its funny how you're finding it so difficult to work that out...you got to take your hat off to Stripey for basically exposing a lot of people here for the clueless idiots they are if they can't work out that they're the butt of one big joke...

Guest allsystemsfail

Its not an attack as such' date=' i just think your posts are a bit "RIGHT ON!" sometimes and you come across as a bit of a self-aggrandising bastard and some of the things you said towards Stripey's own views about music in this city just came across to me as a bit holier than thou.

But you're not the only one in this thread whose ego obviously means more to them than telling the bare-faced truth, i think a lot of the attacks levelled at the Stripester comes down to some egos not being able to handle the truth.

However, in the case against Stripey, i think he is a bit evasive in some of his responses although i ain't exactly one to talk because i am evasive all the time but mainly because i ain't afraid to say what i think and don't give a fuck if anyone else can't handle a dose of harsh reality. I think in his case, he doesn't really look at the whole picture a lot of the time and thus thats what makes a lot of his arguments flawed.

Despite that though, I ain't here to dilly dally around and big up every person in here like we're all one big happy family, there's too much of that pish in here and basically i'm surprised a lot of people who use this messageboard don't get sore lips the amount of times they're puckering up to kiss ass. I think the problem with a lot of people on these boards is that they're too afraid to say what they really think in case they lose face with a lot of people within "the scene"...

Put it this way, there's nothing i say on these messageboards that i wouldn't say to anyone's face and i think in that instance, maybe thats why i get some level of respect from people on here. The way i see things - if you can't handle your music being criticised then don't make music cos if you can't handle criticism from punters that go to your gigs then you're not gonna handle it any better if a journalist or a record company person criticises it either...but the punters are the ones who are your best critics cos they see the performances and hear the music for themselves to make a valid form of criticism, maybe thats the problem with Stripey's views because he openly admitted to not going to see many gigs.

However, I do think its quite funny how people like myself and Stripey are made out to be the villains when it comes to arguments like this, sorry but the truth fucking hurts for some people sometimes but i think dishonesty and lies are a damn sight more painful...i think maybe thats where Bob's comments about backstabbing comes in.[/quote']

My posts "a bit right on"? I'm sorry, but I say only what I believe. You think that wrong?

Regarding Stripey's posts - his views regarding the DIY punk community are far from the mark, he clearly having no understanding or experience of it. And it was for this reason that I challenged his posts. I don't fear criticism, so long as it is based on an understanding of the subject.

My being unwilling to handle the truth? As I've said, it was Stripey whose statements were wrong. Ego has nothing to do with it. The man was wrong. That's all.