aberdeen-music

get a grip

Aileen

Guest Stripey
well if u mean creating music on a computer then to me that just dosent seem rite at all. music is about feeling what u thinks rite in my opinion. and since doing it on a computer means theres no real feeling there at all its all a bunch of 1's and 0's then its a bit shit really i still think the best way to write music is to get a few musicians together in a room and just play. each to their own and everything its not my thing at all...and to you what i do isnt your thing (from what i gather)

It is not the case atall that there's no feeling in music made using computers. I use a midi keyboard to play all my leads and basslines and pads and other parts, it's still my fingers doing the work. I make the synth patches myself, I write all my own drum patterns, it isn't just a case of sticking together loops and calling it a tune. I use exactly the same methods as people like the prodigy, aphex twin, and squarepusher, for example. It amazes me how ignorant people are about modern methods of production.

I guarantee all your favourite albums have been produced on a digital system based on something like pro-tools, so the irony is, you think computers "dont seem right" but all your favourite music owes its existence to them.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ewan SSR

Jesus christ, this is the pettiest argument I've ever heard.

Point take people criticising them to heart, what's wrong with that? They're merely fighting their corner.

bryn - seriously, man, I think you're cool, but what you said what bollocks.

But, back on topic, yeah, people fucking off to the back, it's bad...

Guest Ewan SSR
It is not the case atall that there's no feeling in music made using computers. I use a midi keyboard to play all my leads and basslines and pads and other parts' date=' it's still my fingers doing the work. I make the synth patches myself, I write all my own drum patterns, it isn't just a case of sticking together loops and calling it a tune. I use exactly the same methods as people like the prodigy, aphex twin, and squarepusher, for example. It amazes me how ignorant people are about modern methods of production.

I guarantee all your favourite albums have been produced on a digital system based on something like pro-tools, so the irony is, you think computers "dont seem right" but all your favourite music owes its existence to them.[/quote']

You're right.

Grant, how can you be so fucking stupid? You can still get a feeling through making music on a computer or with a guitar plugged into an amp. fuck, you can get a feeling from smacking your dick off a tin can, if that's what you're into. Besides, The Streets, Dizzee Rascal and loads of other rap/hip hop/drum n bass artists use things like ProTools to compose drum parts and loops and synth patches. So, there is still a sense of creativity and craftmanship in there, so it's exactly the same as having a drummer,bassist and guitarist play a song.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with stripey's feelings towards Point or anyone he has slagged off. I just thought you should be a little less narrow-minded.

It is not the case atall that there's no feeling in music made using computers. I use a midi keyboard to play all my leads and basslines and pads and other parts' date=' it's still my fingers doing the work. I make the synth patches myself, I write all my own drum patterns, it isn't just a case of sticking together loops and calling it a tune. I use exactly the same methods as people like the prodigy, aphex twin, and squarepusher, for example. It amazes me how ignorant people are about modern methods of production.

I guarantee all your favourite albums have been produced on a digital system based on something like pro-tools, so the irony is, you think computers "dont seem right" but all your favourite music owes its existence to them.[/quote']

ok fair enough using a midi keyboard is probably better but the idea of creating an entire song on a computer just dosent sit right with me. and yes im well aware that all albums are recording using programs like protools but thats different thats recording not writeing.. i just wouldnt like to write an entire album on a pc using various programs i dunno for me it just seems impersonal but thats just me probably.

You're right.

Grant' date=' how can you be so fucking stupid? You can still get a feeling through making music on a computer or with a guitar plugged into an amp. fuck, you can get a feeling from smacking your dick off a tin can, if that's what you're into. Besides, The Streets, Dizzee Rascal and loads of other rap/hip hop/drum n bass artists use things like ProTools to compose drum parts and loops and synth patches. So, there is still a sense of creativity and craftmanship in there, so it's exactly the same as having a drummer,bassist and guitarist play a song.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with stripey's feelings towards Point or anyone he has slagged off. I just thought you should be a little less narrow-minded.[/quote']

in my opinion you cant get as much feeling. i dont consider myself narrowminded at all if i felt like i wanted to do that then i would simple as that but it just doesnt sit right with me at all...and i cant explain why but its just the way i feel about the matter.

Guest Stripey
ok fair enough using a midi keyboard is probably better but the idea of creating an entire song on a computer just dosent sit right with me. and yes im well aware that all albums are recording using programs like protools but thats different thats recording not writeing.. i just wouldnt like to write an entire album on a pc using various programs i dunno for me it just seems impersonal but thats just me probably.

You gotta realise, software isn't your enemy, it's just another tool you can use to create and manipulate sounds, why do you think every big studio on the planet is centered around a computer? Computers and human players can work together, with amazing results, you shouldn't write off that potential because of prejudice.

Do you really think that those cd's you buy from record shops are just straight recordings of people playing instruments and singing?

but what you are saying there is different. yes working together with a "normal" (for arguments sake) recording and computer technolgy is ok...what im merly saying is i dont like the WHOLE song being don ENTIRELY on computers. its not something im comfortable with. its ok in moderation basically.

Guest Stripey
but what you are saying there is different. yes working together with a "normal" (for arguments sake) recording and computer technolgy is ok...what im merly saying is i dont like the WHOLE song being don ENTIRELY on computers. its not something im comfortable with. its ok in moderation basically.

Why are you not comfortable with a whole track being made on a computer?

I have to say a few of my fav tunes have been created entirely on computers and/or synths and i can appreciate the artists feeling as much in them as i can from songs from a full band. Its just done in a different way

this is fair enough everyone likes what the like ya know. its just that i dont like it and i wouldnt like to create it. in saying that i still like keyboards.

It's just prejudice' date=' if you sat down infront of cubase or logic and recorded yourself playing guitar or bass or singing or whatever, you would have a field day messing around with the sound, hell you could even use antares autotune and make your voice sound in tune ;) . Don't think of making music on the computer as just stringing together samples. Think of it as every synth and effects pedal you could imagine and more, wrapped into one piece of software.[/quote']

ok fair nuff messing around with sound thats fair enough as i already said above working with computers+recordings is ok. but making my voice sound in tune using a computer? nope not kool its things like THAT im dead againstif your voice isnt in tune ya should practice simple as that not use a computer to change it for ya.

ok fair nuff messing around with sound thats fair enough as i already said above working with computers+recordings is ok. but making my voice sound in tune using a computer? nope not kool its things like THAT im dead againstif your voice isnt in tune ya should practice simple as that not use a computer to change it for ya.

I totally agree with that.

Also bands using computers to generate the harmonies you hear on their cds. I hate the thought of that.

Guest Stripey

You guys are all just luddites, I'm sure when the electric guitar was invented there was people who said "hey now, we don't want anything to with this witchcraft".

You should educate yourselves before writing off stuff which you know nothing about.

You guys are all just luddites' date=' I'm sure when the electric guitar was invented there was people who said "hey now, we don't want anything to with this witchcraft".

You should educate yourselves before writing off stuff which you know nothing about.[/quote']

not its not just that. what we were just saying was we dont agree with it being used to tamper with recordings to make people sound better than they actually are. why do you have trouble accepting that some people just dont like relying on digital technology? and yes when fender first made the telecaster it was laffed at. so in theory yes maybe digital technology will one day take off and all music will be made like that...but i doubt it...after all the acoustic guitar is still around even though the eletric on is invented..why wont "normal" bands carry on even if digital music takes over?

You guys are all just luddites' date=' I'm sure when the electric guitar was invented there was people who said "hey now, we don't want anything to with this witchcraft".

You should educate yourselves before writing off stuff which you know nothing about.[/quote']

We're in the studio at the moment actually, and these options have been there for us and we tried them out to see what its like and the shit you can do is amazing nowadays. But we've still gone back and re-recorded it ourselves for our own satisfaction because when we do it live we want to be able to do what we do in a recording live and you couldnt do that if the harmonies were made up by a computer.

seriously though how can you be so arrogrant?

dont bother man. theres no point.

I agree with you i went to see brand new this year and it was clear that most of the harmonies had been done in the studio and not really by the band if you know what i mean. Im know that your studio work is suppose to be the best you can sound and obvously adding those harmonies adds a lot to the songs but i was disapointed when some of the songs sounded flat without them.

Guest Stripey
dont bother man. theres no point.

I agree with you i went to see brand new this year and it was clear that most of the harmonies had been done in the studio and not really by the band if you know what i mean. Im know that your studio work is suppose to be the best you can sound and obvously adding those harmonies adds a lot to the songs but i was disapointed when some of the songs sounded flat without them.

You don't have a clue.

Guest Stripey
seriously though how can you be so arrogrant?

I'm not arrogant, I'm just sick of people who don't understand the technology, yet they act as if they are au fait with the industry.