aberdeen-music

New electronic project

Suimasen

If everyone only ever said nice things, we'd never get anywhere in life. He was maybe a bit harsh but that's all part and parcel of putting your music up for scrutiny. Like Kimyreizeger said, negativity can be productive. In the same sense positivity can be counter productive ('everyone tells me that's an ace tune therefore im not gonna try harder to perfect it')

Whatever, back to discussing the music.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha,Erm you don't have to tell me what judge means.Again that's not what i said, constructive criticism is far more FRIENDLY wouldn't you say.Then you can go back and work on those points and not feel totally destroyed.

Haha' date='Erm you don't have to tell me what judge means.Again that's not what i said, constructive criticism is far more FRIENDLY wouldn't you say.Then you can go back and work on those points and not feel totally destroyed.[/quote']
I think:

The beats are pretty generic and it's way too busy. A lot of the songs seem to be, rather than one or two really good ideas; many ok-ish ones. I often think DAWs give you too much choice. A bit of character in the sounds and depth perspective in the production would be nice. Given poor myspace quality, I find it almost un-listenable.

But there are also some pretty cool ideas, and the beginnings of both the second and third songs are unusual and quite gripping.

That seems pretty constructive to me.

Mentioned what he disliked, what he'd like to see and then what he liked.

?(

Here is a POSITIVE comment,bounce mps your mixes down to 96kbps for myspace.Myspace will convert files to this and sometimes this will make your choons sound pants!:up:

pretty constructive to me....

Exactly...all you want to do is argue.All i did was try to HELP the guy.

No, I don't want to argue, I want to call you on getting on a guy's back who only did what the OP was asking for.

I'd also probably feel a bit less rage if you used the spacebar after fullstops.

On a side-note, and back on topic I've not listened to the music yet, but will try and give it a listen tonight so that I can rip it to pieces and leave the OP feeling 'totally destroyed'.

I think it was the 'un-listenable' part that ruined the diplomatics. .

I just meant that because of the number of 'things' happening in several of the tracks - particularly those of the whooshing, sweeping, abrasive sort - and taking into account the reduction in audio quality inherent to myspace, that I found it a painful listen.

I'm sure it's just the myspace mix that is the cause but it all sound very harsh to my ears. The tunes are a difficult listen as a result and a lot of it sounds like the sort of stuff you could do with that music mix thing you used to get for the original playstation. Who knows, maybe with a better mix and some of the edges smoothed over it might lose what you were going for though. Hard call. I was sure i'd like it though, it ticks a lot of boxes on the face of it, and i like a lot of your influences.

I liked smsd2 best out of the lot of them, it sounded the most together and i liked the progression of the track.

Bloody hell there has been alot going on since i last looked at this. Not sure where to start!

Right first off, i think that kimy's comment's where not too harsh and fairly reasonable though i did find the second one slightly friendlier (not sure if that's the right word to use but hopefully you know what i mean) than the first one. I also see droid's idea of trying to encourage people with their writing abit more because sometimes i do think folk on this can be abit too insensitive to other indivduals work.

Alkaline i hope with better mixing that you will like the tracks haha.

I do very much appreciate the support from RockAustin, idle wild, ca_gere and aekido!

At the end of the day, i would of actually been amazed if i had put these tracks up and not had any sort of form of negative feedback!

In my defence to this, i'm still new to this format of writing and that it is my first attempt at it. :)

Guest idol_wild

I think Kimy's feedback is always articulate and to the point. He's normally very negative but he's at least constructive with it.

He's given me some negative feedback in the past and, frankly, I've appreciated it and taken his comments into consideration. As with any criticism, really. Criticism is a very good thing, if it's constructive.

That said, I think we'll wait a long time to hear him say anything positive on this particular sub-forum. ;)

I like the beats a lot more than the music, but as you have said, it's early days. I reckon you should try and develop the 80s sounding tom-tom beats, being careful to stay on track and not to meander into The Tuss's well marked territory.

I'm glad you like the beats!... as for the music, i'm still not entirely sure what the hell i'm trying to do music wise. It's quite varied my writing at the moment. I would love to do some acid techno like the tuss! I definitely know where your comming from with the idea of working the 80's tom sound into beats.

im not usually into electronica but some of the tracks are really catchy.

and for new to the actual thing its good.

a minor thing i picked out is there was a couple of parts that i heard didnt quite sink in to place if you get me.

Parr from that keep it up

:up:

Thanks! Some parts i do think could maybe do with abit of editing (or taken out).

Taken on board what you have said.

Ahwell, thanks for listening and comments

I think Kimy's feedback is always articulate and to the point. He's normally very negative but he's at least constructive with it.

He's given me some negative feedback in the past and, frankly, I've appreciated it and taken his comments into consideration. As with any criticism, really. Criticism is a very good thing, if it's constructive.

That said, I think we'll wait a long time to hear him say anything positive on this particular sub-forum. ;)

Yeah, abit of negetive feedback can give you the hunger (haha) to want to push your writing abit further!

I would love to do some acid techno like the tuss!

It took me a few months to regain any incentive at all for writing music after I heard Synthacon 9. It felt like I had been raped by a god.

I mean with the Analord collection he simply uplifts and inspires with great, great music, but with the Rushup Edge E.P he is just fucking you in the ass with one great moment after another.

It hurts.

It took me a few months to regain any incentive at all for writing music after I heard Synthacon 9. It felt like I had been raped by a god.

I mean with the Analord collection he simply uplifts and inspires with great, great music, but with the Rushup Edge E.P he is just fucking you in the ass with one great moment after another.

It hurts.

I know exactly what you mean man! Pretty much everytime i listen to "death fuck" i kinda like "should probably give up now!" haha. The production in that song is in creditable! But yeh, i know that obviously i'll will never be as good as Richard D James (king) but if everyone who listened to their favourite musician/dj's thought this there would be very few of them around! I'm just doing this as sort of a hobby cause i listen to soo much music that i feel that i would explode if i didn't try writing my own.

As i said in my last comment though i would definately like to go down the more acid/house/techno road but right now i just can't seem to do this. I think it's cause i equally like alot of shoegaze like slowdive and cocteau twins!