aberdeen-music

warning

fatboy

I've been advertising a guitar for sale and have been contacted by a suspicious individual.

the person contacted me asking if the guitar was still for sale and asked my location. I replied saying that the guitar was still available and i stayed near the haudagain roundabout bottom of north anderson drive, the guy answered back saying he was in shropshire and any chance i could send it to him, he'd will pay the postage. I replied saying i was looking for a local sale, that's why i was advertising it on aberdeen music, because i live in aberdeen. he then claimed that he is trust worthy and its wrong to rip off people because it's wrong. i text him back saying why would you buy a guitar without at least seeing it first, it could be virtually unplayable, i also said and how would you pay me for it? he replied back that he had played that model of ibanez before and they're all pretty much the same, he then went on to say that if i send a book with the guitar, he would put the money in an envolpe and sent it back between the pages of the book. by that time i text back nah yer alright.

I've been ripped of too many times, so i can tell this is scam a mile off. but just a word of warning to anyone that may be a bit naive and save themselves getting bumped

:popcorn:

I can beat that distance - I had a cheapy OLP stingray copy up on aberdeen gumtree and someone from the USA got in touch really excited to take it off my hands. It would probably have cost more to send it than to buy it. Maybe he thought it was an Aberdeen in America. Bizarre. I'm not sure if I even could be bothered replying with the scorn such nonsense deserved.

THIS IS A LOCAL FORUM, FOR LOCAL PEOPLE ;)

• Upvote 1

Had a few of these myself. PM's which may be honest but I am pretty wary. Guys from down south that ask if a mate from glasgow or something like that can pick up the item while the original purchaser will send up a cheque! Nae chance!!

I think someone would have to be pretty dim to fall for sending an item to someone you don't know and wait for them to send the cash. I bet there are people out there that fall for it though.

Think since the recession there has been a massive increase in this kind of fraud

I think the general rule for selling anything is cash first, item second. If someone pays by cheque, cash it in and make sure it doesn't bounce before you send anything.

And don't fall for the "I've paid through Paypal, the money is in a holding account and once you send it you have to go onto Paypal and enter the tracking number and that will release the money to you". It won't because it's not true, and also if you go to the Paypal site off the fake email, not only will you lose your item but they'll empty your bank account too.