aberdeen-music

Finally! P&J gets behing the local music scene...

Frosty Jack

see thats exactly the type of delusional fantasy that makes no sense

these fuckers struggle for 'alt' credibility among their peers

and they battle away to be more 'alternative'' date=' more 'punk' more 'motherfuckin rawk' more 'anything-core' than each other

when all they really want is to cuddle up to a prick like Jools Holland and be on the Telly.....thats why they are in a band it seems

can only I see the hypocracy?

Applications for Big Brother 2005 start soon you fame seeking twats[/quote']

ah, someone has had their humour / sarcasm gland removed...a nasty operation if I ever did see one...

so, you are in a band, that does not want to get any farther than playing in front of his mates in a small Aberdeen venue, fine, no wonder you are so fucked off with other people trying to get more of a profile for other Aberdeen bands.

"I don't want to be famous"

"I don't want anyone to hear my music"

I especially like the equation from wanting your bands music to be heard by a wider audience, with "get on big brother you fucker".

wow, you must also be a talent less cunt, like the big brother lot, if you think that everyone else is is only seeking fame for fames sake, and not that they want AS MANY PEOPLE IN THE WORLD POSSIBLE to hear their music.

no, once again, that would be "un rock n roll", trying to get more people to hear your art...

as mr Cornell would put it, I make music, you make me sick.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well' date=' any promo is good promo. QUOTE']

At the risk of being eaten by a band of monsters I disagree with that statement

Which seems to put me at odds with the whole message bored community

But never mind

Seriously though, If I were managing a band (which I fancy doing at some point) then I would go for purely selective target audience publicity every time, and put ALL my efforts in that direction. Fuck the mainstream. Let them come to us. On our terms.

And for clarification on what Ive said regards the whole P&J topic of debate :

Its not the P&J and the use of the press for publicity Im opposing!!!!!!!!

Its the hypocracy of bands who claim to have underground credentials and some alternative pedigree, being daft enough (in possibly a moment of stupidness) to go writing en-mass letters of indignation at their lack of coverage - to ANY press. Yes ANY press. P&J OR NME. Think about it....if you read a letter like that in the NME letters page you would NOT be impressed. (or would you?) Remember the audience is everywhere, all the time.

Over and out.

Death to the Public.

Etc.

When a newcomer arrived on these boards and asked what the aberdeen music scene was like Betamax replied:

"its a total cultural vacuum

unless you are a mainstream cabbage

imagine Grimsby with Kilts and Celtic tops

you'll need to make your own fun if you want anything genuinly alternative

which is always possible

good luck anyway"

Betamax obstructs everyone else rather than offering anything constructive. Everything he does stems from that. Just examine this thread for all the evidence you need.

Betamax, you think you're clever - I think you're a complete shithead.

Don't even bother with a retort, I won't be reading it.

God, it must be time of the month in boobyville......

When a newcomer arrived on these boards and asked what the aberdeen music scene was like Betamax replied:

which is always possible

good luck anyway"

Betamax obstructs everyone else rather than offering anything constructive. Everything he does stems from that. Just examine this thread for all the evidence you need.

Betamax' date=' you think you're clever - I think you're a complete shithead.

Don't even bother with a retort, I won't be reading it.[/quote']

wowee!

I take that as a huge compliment coming from boobies bob

Im not remotely clever at all, but hey, its all relative.....you make me look like an utter fucking genius. We need backward people like you to make the rest of us feel ok, so actually, your time on this planet isnt an entire waste of other peoples oxygen, as I'd previously thought

See I can be positive!!!

the above quote is as I see it thats all .....whether anyone else feels the same is entirely up to them as Im sure people have their own minds and don't actually rely on my personal veiws to form their own opinions .....but Im pleased my articulations are having such a profound Effect on your tiny wee pistachio nut of a brain

and please please please continue to try and SHUT ME UP / STOP ME FROM HAVING ANY OPINIONS ON ANYTHING AT ALL

.... in person would be FUN FUN FUN !

*bet you read it*

so' date=' you are in a band, that does not want to get any farther than playing in front of his mates in a small Aberdeen venue, fine, no wonder you are so fucked off with other people trying to get more of a profile for other Aberdeen bands.

"I don't want to be famous"

"I don't want anyone to hear my music"

I especially like the equation from wanting your bands music to be heard by a wider audience, with "get on big brother you fucker".

[/quote']

oh god here we go again

Ive never done the playing in front of my mates thing ....ever....they would probably invade the stage and kick fuck out us for a laugh (yeh they are mostly nutters but hey they are funny guys and I have to work with them)

Im ok with playing gigs in front of real people thanks, whether is 5 or 500, it dosent bother me. Its fun both ways.

I can catagorically confirm that fame is of no interest to me and most* of the rest of Real Shocks. If ifame was on our agenda we would certainly be playing some kind of nice funk metal like Maroon 5 or something nice and indie like Coldplay.

I confess to wanting people to hear our music, and have never denied that. I just dont think it right to demand people listen to you (including the P&J) and ram it down their throats like so may bands do.

As for fame seekers needing to go on BB. They should. Theres more chance of paying off than playing bad versions of Greenday to your mates in a pub in the remotest part of scotland. That would be a fact I think.

Why is eveyone so pissed off when reality comes to call?

Boo Hoo

Guest Stripey

which is always possible

good luck anyway"

This thread is great, it's really making me smile. I completely agree with the above quote. One thing which has always disgusted me about people from round here, is that smug, self-satisfied, self-important mentality which is so typical of people who have spent all their lives in the arse-end of nowhere and have experienced nothing or very little of whats actually going on in the rest of the world.

You moan about not getting press coverage. Maybe thats because you aren't newsworthy.

You moan about low attendance at gigs. Maybe, just maybe, its because theres not a big audience for what you are doing.

Why do you think gigs at places like Kef are all at 7pm? Maybe its because the real people come out to play after 10, when all the kiddies have gone home to bed.

I think you use this forum as the proverbial "applauding crowd in a closet" and it's making you big headed.

Toy people, toy bands, toy scene, toy town.

get

a

grip.

ha har dee ha ha ha

Betamax KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK,don't let these folk suck you into their humorless shite arguments.If they can't take a joke Fuck em.

Most seem to be far too young to have formed any real opinions of their own.

Someone got offended cos I stuck up a poster declaring XS RELOCAT to be "Tighter than yer little sisters burger", FUCKING HOLY RINGPIECE BATMAN it's only cunting words.

Get a life ye door sad fuckers,instead of spending your time being negative on here,go

DO SOMETHING REAL for a change.

GO TO SEE REAL SHOCKS,if only to marvel at the drummers hair,it really IS fab.

Good thread. Scenesters have to ask themselves why an a covers duo can pull over 150 punters on a tuesday night in O'Donoghue's. I know it's in Nedsville but still.

I've often wondered why people form bands at all when:

a) They don't want fame or any kind of recognition.

b) They don't care if anyone likes or listens to their music.

c) They don't want to make money from music.

d) They have a political/social point to make but either (see a & b) or they make their music so offensive or unlistenable that no-one gets the point anyway.

e) They claim not to be extroverts\show offs ect but still leap around on a stage sporting radical haircuts and clothes.

If you fall into any of those categories, then why bother? I'm not having a pop at anyone in particular but I'd seriously like to know.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

d) They have a political/social point to make but either (see a & b) or they make their music so offensive or unlistenable that no-one gets the point anyway.

e) They claim not to be extroverts\show offs ect but still leap around on a stage sporting radical haircuts and clothes.

If you fall into any of those categories' date=' then why bother? I'm not having a pop at anyone in particular but I'd seriously like to know.[/quote']

What about having fun? Surely that's the most important part at the end of the day. The day it stops being enjoyable and fun is the day to call it a day. Too much use of the word "day", but never mind!

What about having fun? Surely that's the most important part at the end of the day. The day it stops being enjoyable and fun is the day to call it a day. Too much use of the word "day"' date=' but never mind![/quote']

Fun of course is an entirely valid reason to be in a band. I was of course directing my question towards those who take it so seriously that it can't possibly be any fun.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Ah, I see, my mistake. I see where you're coming from and it's always nice to get a bit of recognition/acclaim but fun, for me, is the main reason.

Hmmmm...

I must say as the *other* member of Real Shocks who actually posts in this place.... I do agree with *most* (that's MOST, not all) of what Betamax has said. I'm a tadge (a lot) more pro-scene than Mr Betabum, and can say that I honestly enjoy being part of the local scene, attend gigs regularly and wish the best for the bands of Aberdeen.

HOWEVER where I agree with my associate is on the topic of the "alternative" bands seeking attention from the likes of the P&J... Honestly... The P&J is a mockery to good journalism, I catagorise the EE in the same pit - mainly due to the fact I read it at work, and know that the majority who pay money to read it fall into the following catagories. 1) The aged 2) The deranged aged. Hence my feelings that the typical reader of the EE wouldn't give a shit about your, "yob/you wouldn't get that in MY day" music - if you're going to write to papers/magazine - as previously mentioned by my comrad - such as underground fanzines, radio stations etc. It's the only way you'll target people who might actually think, "they sound interesting... I think I'll go to that".

If you fall into any of those categories, then why bother? I'm not having a pop at anyone in particular but I'd seriously like to know.

Perhaps because we do it for our own reasons.... eg: We enjoy it.

Extreme idea, I know... ;)

Guest lime ruined my life

a grife of lime.

a terrible lie.

a belly full of gas.

the holy grail in a grill (in landan)

a life gone wrong.

more poetry soon.

What is in the article isn't *exactly* what I said and or how I said it on the phone' date=' but the jist is there and he didn't write anything that was purely untrue. [/quote']

Oh, what a surprise, Aberdeen Journals paraphrase someone but put it in quotemarks. I've never met anyone who has been "qouted' (in the Aberdeen Journals sense) who has said what appears in the print (surrounded by quotemarks).

I don't know wether it's shoddy journalism or shoddy editing or perhaps shoddy talking over the phone (not enough snappy soundbites perhaps) but to put something in quotes which isn't what someone said, with no indication to the contrary, smacks of the shoddy tabloid reporting that anyone with a functioning brain laughs off.

Unforunately that rules out most EE readers.

Hmmmm...

I must say as the *other* member of Real Shocks who actually posts in this place.... I do agree with *most* (that's MOST' date=' not all) of what Betamax has said. I'm a tadge (a lot) more pro-scene than Mr Betabum, and can say that I honestly enjoy being part of the local scene, attend gigs regularly and wish the best for the bands of Aberdeen.

[/quote']

Why do you think Im NOT pro music scene darling?

Im anti shitty smalltown attitutes - NOT anti music scene at all. :rolleyes: