aberdeen-music

imp: Alasdair Roberts + Kitchen Cynics + Amber Wilson @ The Tunnels, 21st May

interesting music promotions present

ALASDAIR ROBERTS + KITCHEN CYNICS + AMBER WILSON

Thursday 21st May

The Tunnels, Carnegies Brae, Aberdeen, AB10 1BF. Phone (01224) 211121

Doors 8pm

Tickets 6+bf in adv / 8 on door

Available from One-Up Records, Belmont Street, Aberdeen. Phone (01224) 642662 or http://www.ticketweb.co.uk

http://www.myspace.com/interestingmusic

http://www.thetunnels.co.uk

178_alasdair_roberts_poster.jpg

ALASDAIR ROBERTS

Returned from his voyages of discovery around the globe, Alasdair Roberts has brought a sac of assorted goods for you merchants, eight epic new songsSpoils. Alasdair Roberts is one of Scotlands best young singers and song writers, and as the years pass, his artistry borrows more and more from centuries before. On his fourth solo album, Alasdair brings with him a crew working with ancient instruments while supporting an album that is meted out evenly with an intense energy always in service of Alasdairs finest melodies. Spoils ingratiates new compositions in a deeply personal manner with the world of traditional music that has sunk beyond the horizon for too many of us. It is a gift to these latter days that a man like Roberts exists, to sing us back to our ancient home.

http://www.myspace.com/alasdairrobertsofficial

KITCHEN CYNICS

This is what Triptych said about Alan earlier last year. It sounds great, so we copied itagain.

A one-man psych-folk vanquisher from Aberdeen, Alan Davidson aka Kitchen Cynics has cultivated wry acoustic apologues and warm machine parables since the Eighties. Hes propagated a slew of cassettes and CDRs, while live alliances include Damon & Naomi and Masaki Batoh (Ghost). Davidsons mythological, prosaic and deadpan narratives map the universal and the personal: celebrating in equal measure the sea and lasagne; fossils and love.

http://www.myspace.com/kitchencynics

AMBER WILSON

Solo acoustic singer / songwriter making her first proper appearance at an IMP gig. Why the hell has it taken us so long?

Ex-Morcheeba singer with hauntingly beautiful vocals and amazing lyrics.

http://www.myspace.com/amberwilson

• 2 weeks later...

4 Star album review in The Skinny

Alasdair Roberts - Spoils :: The Skinny

Written by: Chris Buckle

Published: Wed 15 Apr 2009

On first listen, Spoils sounds like a faithful revival of traditional old Scots songsmithery and not a whole lot more. Only after several spins does the innovation at the heart of Alasdair Roberts' fourth album reveal itself, and you realise how anachronistic songs like Ned Ludds Rant (For A World Rebarbarised) would actually sound echoing round a highland bothy in days of yore (and not just because of its faint feedback). The inspirational font from which he sips may be ancient, but this is no mere musical history lesson. Songs like Unyoked Oxen Turns gentle canter and the mellow electric guitar in Hazel Forks crackle with a modern vitality that combines the expected instrumentation - fiddle, hurdy gurdy, harmonium etc. - with those less commonly heard in the folk context such as the subtle synthesiser undercurrent of You Muses Assist. The result is far more than a niche concern.

• 4 weeks later...

Recommended album on Drowned in Sound - 7/10

Review / Alasdair Roberts - Spoils / Releases / Releases // Drowned In Sound

Almost a decade ago, Alasdair Roberts made an incomparably weird record called The Night Is Advancing with his old band Appendix Out. Incomparable for the times that is but a good stab at updating The Incredible String Bands psychedelic folk with synths and drum-machines. Maybe there was a bit of Can in there, too. Around that time, Ali also helped Jason Molina soundtrack the classic dark nights of the soul that are The Lioness and Ghost Tropic by Songs: Ohia, so the hope was that hed continue on a similarly dark path. Mysteriously, Ali then went solo and started re-interpreting Scottish folk ballads with minimal backing and the emphasis on surreal and ribald humour: one enduring image was the hanged laird dying with a raging erection in his trousers. No wonder Ali was one of Will Oldhams protgs...

At last, Spoils recaptures that earlier weirdness, and the sense of being a bard from an alternative past, if not presiding over their unfathomable, Gormenghastian rituals. Unyoked Oxen Turn is the most straightforward thing here, musically and lyrically, with its tale of a cripple running about the world in search of his legs, the advice he receives on the way, and the final punchline that what he really should have been looking for was... well, youll see. Simple though it is, the interpretation remains open, so you wont groan at it, but the enjoyments frownsomely laced with the awareness of an entire world and its network of meanings that may have been lost... and thats also right there under the language you thought you knew.

You could say the same of all the other tracks, where the music also happens to be richer in detail. Whether its the (Norse) souls of the dead sailing on a ship made of fingernails, or (Edward Lears) Jumblies setting to sea in their sieve, the surreal always has a resonance that the plainly symbolic may not, and Alis got a good sense of how to balance the timelessly-evocative with those images that root a song in a time. This is as true of the musical motifs and arrangements, as it is of the lyrics: Hazel Forks initially uses a roundel thats a little dull to listen to, coming from a time when music didnt have to be as dramatic, because it was always social, and interactive... but then a solo on phased guitar introduces a more colourful movement. The song turns out to be another weirdly plotted quest narrative (named for the fact the heroes set off with dowsing rods), and the verses catalogue various strange occurrences, leading up to the courtship in the penultimate act:

heres the gift of the infant suitor / a cask of ash and a flask of pewter / a map of the cities of the future

heres the dowry of the leper / a walnut shell and a peck of pepper.

At the end, the suitors turn out to be hazel twigs in a bush where a songthrush is singing, and the tangling of the branches suggests them surrounding her and trying to win her heart. Maybe. In any case if you thought the pre-literate world was dull, well, it may be hard to convey now, but people were forced to think in far more complex analogies to figure out how it all fit together.

There are plenty of fine moments in all the songs, whether it's a sudden burst of harmonies, or unexpected instrumental flourishes, from behind the singer. The best here may be The Flying of Grief & Joy (track 1) with its own quest narrative, and the (inevitable) loss of members from the party as they proceed, hence the refrain the Devil take the hindmost after each verse. Flinging in references to Mithras, Buddha, and Allah, as well as an odd assortment of instruments, Ali obliquely reminds us that this is what authentic folk music does it isnt purist or fundamentalist; it just uses what comes to hand, because history isnt linear so long as you can summon the past in song. You dont need to get the references, or understand the finer points of a song like Ned Ludds Rant (For a World Rebarbarised) to get the sense that the past isnt dead yet, and all ages are contemporaneous in the mind. Overall, this is one to file alongside Joanna Newsom (especially The Ys Street Band EP), not just for strangeness, but for the ambition to create worlds.

I think it's my first K Cynics one since early January....it'll be my 3rd last one, too. I'm going to stop for a while to concentrate on recording. Then, if I ever do solo stuff again it'll be under a different name.

I'm looking forward to seeing both Alasdair and Amber again......always enjoy both.

Guest idol_wild

That was exactly what I needed. I thought all three acts were sublime, especially Kitchen Cynics.

A concert of extremely high quality all round.

A most enjoyable evening - three first class acts. Sad to hear that this was Alan's second last performance as the Kitchen Cynics, but look forward to seeing/hearing more of the Matricarians.

Also picked up C.D. number 65 of the K C's - Disconnected. Another masterpiece from Alan.I particularly liked 'The Wind', 'When Father Hanged The Children' and 'The Carousel Hare'.

Brilliant stuff.

I'm really pleased you like it, Silversurfer....I thought it turned out OK, but it's great to get positive feedback :)

Thanks too, idolwild and offramp.....I was relieved that I did OK...plus I enjoyed listening to Amber and Alasdair's sets a lot, so I enjoyed the evening massively. :up: