aberdeen-music

rock and roll

Guest Stripey

Guest Stripey

Last night I watched "cheech and chong: up in smoke". Near the end of the film, they 2 stars take part in a battle of the bands type concert. 2 of the bands who play before them, sound very much like the kind of thing I have been hearing from some aberdeen bands (played by people who looked to be in their 20's). The question is, if that was the sound of their generation (late 70's), what is the sound of OUR generation? Or are we reduced to aping the musical tastes of our parents, due perhaps to nostalgia, or retro-obsession?

But in the 70's a lot of bands played jazz and there were still tons of big bands around.

We're at the point now where things are difficult to be original. People have to take influences from somewhere, right? SO whatever someone does someone else will always say "that sounds like *insert band/artist here*"

DISCLAIMER - probably not accurate information

Guest Stripey
But in the 70's a lot of bands played jazz and there were still tons of big bands around.

We're at the point now where things are difficult to be original. People have to take influences from somewhere' date=' right? SO whatever someone does someone else will always say "that sounds like *insert band/artist here*"[/quote']

I agree, after 30 years of rock and its offspring, there is very limited scope to do anything new, and a lot of it sounds more like tribute acts than genuine *artists*.

In my understanding, what spawned punk was the realisation that anyone can buy some cheap instruments and knock out some tunes, that music became accessible to the ordinary guy.

It is only in the last 3 years or so that music technology used by big studios began to filter down and become truly accessible to the average guy in his bedroom. It is only in the last year or so that the tools available to such bedroom producers have become of the highest quality, and readily available for realistic money (and free for those who know where to get it).

The punk of the 21st century is happening in the bedrooms and home studios of those people who embrace midi and VST, rather than guitar and amp. You just don't see this because aberdeen is a shithole in a cultural timewarp.

Guest Sundaram

Not forgetting that the vast majority of these modern day bedroom punks churn out vst/midi based music that is just as boring and derivative as the vast majority of todays rock bands...

There are of course some exceptions to this!

Guest Stripey
Not forgetting that the vast majority of these modern day bedroom punks churn out vst/midi based music that is just as boring and derivative as the vast majority of todays rock bands...

There are of course some exceptions to this!

Absolutely, just like with punk, making the means of producing music accessible to everyone obviously results in a lot of shite being made, but these scenes gradually evolve and great things can come of this mashing of ideas. One thing to bear in mind is that a lot of the 21st century bedroom producers congregate on the internet, and this makes it very easy for them to share material, give each other feedback, trade tips and ideas, collaborate etc. Not just with their local counterparts, but with thousands of like minded people all over the globe, each bringing different influences and skills.

The digital bedroom production ethic in its infancy produced loads of important trend setting artists in the 90's such as Daft Punk and Photek, and it is now entering a new level of accessibility

More booze anyone?.

Heh I'm not having a dig at anyone in particular' date=' I just think it's an amusing tune.[/quote']

That's a Wesley Willis track. He sadly died last year. He's an absoloutley massive, once homeless african american from Chicago with a callous on his forehead from headbutting people at shows. He is also the most awesome man on the planet.

My favorite is "Rock 'n Roll Mcdonalds", "Northwest Airlines" or "Te CHicken Cow."

Nice find, Stripey.

monzywillis.jpg

"Rock Over LOndon, Rock on Chicago"

You may think your band sounds like [insert name of your all time favourite rock band]' date=' but to me it all sounds like this: [url']http://www.neuscan.com/lol2k.mp3 (right click and Save Target As.. to download)

That because you have no idea of how to listen to music. It's tragic. I feel for you. You're missing so much by being so limited. You're actually physically handicapped.

Hmmm another debate...can I just point out that "guitar music" of today is very different from previous generations. Sure bands like Oasis, Kings of Leon and The Darkness are very retro influenced <and that's not a band thing...well maybe in your eyes>...what about I dunno...Slipknot? Korn? Muse? All of whom are very "now" sounding...ohh and get this...there might even be some synths and other such things in their music <not that this has any bearing on it being "now music" with or without them it would still be relevent to our time> AHHHHHHHHHH NO MORE THESE THREADS!

As for that MP3 you posted... :moody: ...if that's what you hear when you listen to guitar music then you are truely handicapt

Guest Tam o' Shantie

thank god for STRIPEY: ANDROID OF THE FUTURE for travelling back in time to inform all us backward hicks that we're stuck in some sort of musical timewarp, and to think that until now I was happy just to sit on my roof, twangin' that banjo all day long, ALL HAIL STRIPEY AKA JESUS CHRIST THE SAVIOUR

Tav, stripey is just as retro as anyone else. He stands on the shoulders of Eno, Robert Fripp, and Kraftwerk and claims it as his own. Just like the samplers. If he listened to music he would realise this, but.........

Ofcourse I read you saying that somewhere else. I was going to suggest what happens in the future when all of his digital music is retro...not relevent...etc etc? Because if he thinks that it's happened to guitar music then surely it can happen to what he does*

*Just to say I don't think it will. Music will always be relevent no matter what it is created on...it's all about the song not what it is played on or how it was created...well for musicians it is...

It's retro already. He missed the boat. It's just that modern equipment is now user friendly enough, that numpties like stripey, who cant be bothered to take the time to learn something can now use it. Hence the proliferation of structureless, inept drivel swamping the internet labelled as music.

Guest MerryChristmas

The music classed as "rock" nowadays is uninspired crap, the guitarism all sounds the same, most of the lyrics are not understandable.

I think what is being pointed out is that you get a wider spectrum of sounds using equipment for "e-music" than you do from some 14 year olds jumping about with badly played guitars screaming their stomachs up

If i want to relax i will kick on some Enya, BB King or Classical music

The music classed as "rock" nowadays is uninspired crap' date=' the guitarism all sounds the same, most of the lyrics are not understandable.

I think what is being pointed out is that you get a wider spectrum of sounds using equipment for "e-music" than you do from some 14 year olds jumping about with badly played guitars screaming their stomachs up

If i want to relax i will kick on some Enya, BB King or Classical music[/quote']

You have a point. My point is that people should'nt restrict themselves to one single type of music because it limits their perceptions and makes them insular. If they choose to restrict themselves in this way then they shouldn't subsequently label everything else as shite. If they don't like something then don't listen to it.

That because you have no idea of how to listen to music. It's tragic. I feel for you. You're missing so much by being so limited. You're actually physically handicapped.

Without wishing to cause offence (whilst accepting that I probably will), couldn't the same be said of yourself? From what you say, you play covers of other people's songs for a living - the same old classic tunes, night after night. And it certainly seems to done you no harm - you seem to have made a sustainable living out of it. In regards to the music thogh, couldn't the same be said of your limitedness? I suppose it depends on whether we are talking about performing music, listening to music, writing music, or all three. Anyway, I didn't reply to have a go at you in particular, your point just stuck in my throat. so to speak.

with regards to the originality comment stripey made, it's something i spend a lot of time worrying about, and is the reason i've found writing music so hard over the last two years. i find myself becoming stricter on myself, discarding either riffs that sound like they could have been played by a band i know, or disregarding a song because it does, as has been said, fit into that classic rock mould.

more recently i've been playing a lot more keyboard/piano/synth and it's certainly helped me move away from the guitar / rock paradigm of music. i don't think there's anything wrong with the guitar / rock paradigm, but trying to write music for such a genre is futile if all you ever do is start by playing riffs on your guitar, because you lose sight of the song. or so i've found. it's too tempting to simply play guitar all the way through a song, which can often limit what other instruments in the track can do.

i don't think there's anything wrong with programs like reason, the only reason i don't use them is because my <cartmanVoice>fragile little mind</cartmanVoice> doesn't like dealing with the complexity. however, i absolutely love softsynths and sf2 files that open a midi keyboard to vast arrays of high quality sounding instruments, and drum machines too - because for most people, recording a real drumkit properly is prohibitively expensive.

music is there to be adored and wondered at, let's not preach about it, because we'll only look silly and wrong. i do think everyone should strive to be as original as they can be, but there are hundreds of different ways to being original, and they needn't be electronic, just as they needn't be purist guitar rock.

No spellchecker, I'm not in a covers band. I'm a session player and session singer. I play or sing whatever I'm paid to. It's my job. I do occasionally find myself playing covers in a session but mostly I play for artists making records in the studio or provide backing harmonies. These are all mostly original material where I'll be asked to listen to a piece and then provide a guitar track or banjo track ect. Other times I'll play in radio shows or TV. It means I get to play a huge variety of styles from jazz to folk to rock to pop and I hope to benefit from all those influences. That's why I cannot understand those who are insular and refuse to expose themselves to other things.

No spellchecker' date=' I'm not in a covers band. I'm a session player and session singer. I play or sing whatever I'm paid to. It's my job. I do occasionally find myself playing covers in a session but mostly I play for artists making records in the studio or provide backing harmonies. These are all mostly original material where I'll be asked to listen to a piece and then provide a guitar track or banjo track ect. Other times I'll play in radio shows or TV. It means I get to play a huge variety of styles from jazz to folk to rock to pop and I hope to benefit from all those influences. That's why I cannot understand those who are insular and refuse to expose themselves to other things.[/quote']

Have you worked with any bands from Aberdeen? If so which ones?

Like I said in an earlier thread, stripey should listen to some progressive rock where keyboards/synths & guitars work together. As for the guitar/electronic music argument, if guitar wasn't relevant, why is it still here now & basically taken over? And if electronic music is so relevant, why is there a limited audience?

I respect the point that a lot of electronic music does require a lot of hard programming, but to the people it's the music that matters. I'd love a synth just to make all these weird noises, but people don't really want to hear just plain sound effects all the time. They need to be incorporated with other instruments & played in different styles. Minimilist crap like drums n' bass is plain boring & has no imagination. Though I'm not disagreeing like I said earlier that a lot of rock music today is just tripe.

Guest Sundaram
Like I said in an earlier thread' date=' stripey should listen to some progressive rock where keyboards/synths & guitars work together. As for the guitar/electronic music argument, if guitar wasn't relevant, why is it still here now & basically taken over? And if electronic music is so relevant, why is there a limited audience?

I respect the point that a lot of electronic music does require a lot of hard programming, but to the people it's the music that matters. I'd love a synth just to make all these weird noises, but people don't really want to hear just plain sound effects all the time. They need to be incorporated with other instruments & played in different styles. Minimilist crap like drums n' bass is plain boring & has no imagination. Though I'm not disagreeing like I said earlier that a lot of rock music today is just tripe.[/quote']

Mouse, bend over whilst I spank your ass. :bat:

Minimalist crap! :swearing:

Drum & Bass/Jungle unimaginative, :swearing:

Progressive Rock, guitars/keys... wot no violin, flute sax etc? :swearing:

Grrrrrrrrr!!!