aberdeen-music

A Day in the Life of John Peel

Guest Sundaram

Guest Sundaram

john%20peel.jpg

Born at the age of four in a charcoal burner's cottage on the fringe of the Black Forest, he was christened Helen Llewellyn Product 19, and named car of the year.

Educated at boarding schools for twelve fruitless years, he was the first man to sail over Niagara Falls in an airmail envelope-and that was how Surrey won the County Championship that year.

In 1958 a team of naked medical doctors took his temperature and passed him fit for two years military service. At this time he had two dogs named Tension and a goldfish that sang selections from The Maid of the Iron Curtain " when struck with a mallet.

Understandably upon completion of his military dis-service he went to America. In 1962 he started work for radio station WRR in Dallas, Texas, and during the Beatle onslaught of 1964, he moved to radio station KLIF, where it was his duty to constantly advise the public of the colour of Paul McCartney's eyes. The following year he moved to KLMA in Oklahoma City, which has the biggest night-time audience of any radio station in the country. After a year of this tomfoolery he headed west, as the buffalo

had done before him and Mrs. P. J. of Luton was to do in April of 1967, and worked for a year for KMEN outside Los Angeles. During this time, he met many members of the West Coast groups, most of whom forgot him immediately. In the Spring of 1967, he returned to England, disguised as a four mile section of the East Lancs Road and went to work for Radio London until they left the air.

John has recently fulfilled a life-long ambition by launching his own record label "Dandelion Records Limited," which is the first record label to give total artistic control to the artistes and to divide income equally between the Company and the artistes. John takes no financial benefit from this enterprise.

I heard he got into trouble in America cuz he married a 12 year old girl!

"As a 26-year-old DJ in Texas' date=' underage girls apparently queued outside his studio to offer him oral sex. One, Shirley Anne, became the first Mrs Peel at the age of 15 (Peel says she lied about her age) and later attempted suicide."

[url']http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-652068,00.html

Guest Sundaram

He's definitely a national treasure! Mind you, so is Philip, in my opinion!

_________________________________________________________________________________

Kitchen Cynics............................................played once on Peel!.................................................

He's definitely a national treasure!

As long as people still treasure him & his enthusiasm for music stays as it is,

then he will continue on BBC R1, even with his new later slot of 11pm to 1am 9(from Aug)

Peel has been an inspiration for many many years

cant say i'm too enthused by home truths tho'

As long as people still treasure him & his enthusiasm for music stays as it is' date='

then he will continue on BBC R1, even with his new later slot of 11pm to 1am 9(from Aug)

Peel has been an inspiration for many many years

[/quote']

Peel has been a great champion of many decent bands over the years - from The Fall to Mogwai ,Melt Banana to Wedding Present, Ballboy to Cat Power and is the only DJ on Radio 1 to play a total mix of tracks including happy hardcore, old style blues, gabba, dub, c & w, twee indy, noisy indie, turntabilism (sp?), to Japanese noiseniks and techno. Good on that man !

Dave

PS which bands have mentioned John Peel in songs ?

Extract from 'Brainwashes Whiter' by Mr Ray's Wigworld, 1992 -

"Just the other day I went to the Reading Festival and I met John Peel and he said, 'hey, aren't you the singer from Mr Ray's Wigworld?' and I said 'Yeah, and I just wanna tell you that I love you I love you I love you', and he said 'Why's that?', and I said 'JOHN, I'M ON ECSTASY!!!!!!!'"

This is based on a true story.