nullmouse

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest allsystemsfail

Read about it elsewhere.

My view? Conservative politics run contrary to punk's basic tenet. Leftist opinion has always been central to its cause. Conservative opinion seeks to protect and preserve the status quo. Punk however has sought to fuck with the system. So, conservative punk? It's just a nonsense.

Intresting. They claim that one of their aims is to get people to vote and become engaged in politics (which is always good) and to get people and to "draw their own conclusions". Those are inital aims I find very hard to argue with. Many young people really don't care about politics or voting, and many people take what NOFX and Michael Moore tell them at face value, even if I do believe they are the "good guys".

I also think the following statement, is in many cases true:

"Punk music has been, and still is, one of the most heavy-handed genres of music there is. Unfortunately the topics of such heavy-handed songs are almost always seeped in left wing propaganda, bumper sticker rallying calls and oversimplifications of otherwise complex topics. Unfortunately the websites established by such bands to further their political views don't offer much more by way of information and truth than the music does."

See, not thinking about things and having an unswerving allegiance to any one side of the political spectrum can lead to Kitten from BB style slapability, posting heavy handed, ugly posters with George Bush with demon horns kissing Ronald McDonald or something and generally growing bored and growing up to drive an SUV. So I think encouraging people to learn and draw their own conclusions with the raw material provided to them as a starting point by bands, be it the Dead Kennedys or NOFX is a good thing.

BUT,

The notion of Conservative punk is pretty screwy, but who are we to impose rules on anything? If a group of youths were disatissfied with the left and wanted to write songs in favour of the right, then let 'em, although I'm pretty certain they wouldn't have me in their audience.

I notice Michale Graves (ex-Misfits) is a supporter of the site.

Anyway, simplified conclusion:

Providing an alternative, encouraging people to think rather than just spout slogans: GOOD

Being Conservatives: NOT SO GOOD

Guest allsystemsfail
Intresting. They claim that one of their aims is to get people to vote and become engaged in politics (which is always good) and to get people and to "draw their own conclusions". Those are inital aims I find very hard to argue with. Many young people really don't care about politics or voting' date=' and many people take what NOFX and Michael Moore tell them at face value, even if I do believe they are the "good guys".

I also think the following statement, is in many cases true:

"Punk music has been, and still is, one of the most heavy-handed genres of music there is. Unfortunately the topics of such heavy-handed songs are almost always seeped in left wing propaganda, bumper sticker rallying calls and oversimplifications of otherwise complex topics. Unfortunately the websites established by such bands to further their political views don't offer much more by way of information and truth than the music does."

See, not thinking about things and having an unswerving allegiance to any one side of the political spectrum can lead to Kitten from BB style slapability, posting heavy handed, ugly posters with George Bush with demon horns kissing Ronald McDonald or something and generally growing bored and growing up to drive an SUV. So I think encouraging people to learn and draw their own conclusions with the raw material provided to them as a starting point by bands, be it the Dead Kennedys or NOFX is a good thing.

BUT,

The notion of Conservative punk is pretty screwy, but who are we to impose rules on anything? If a group of youths were disatissfied with the left and wanted to write songs in favour of the right, then let 'em, although I'm pretty certain they wouldn't have me in their audience.

I notice Michale Graves (ex-Misfits) is a supporter of the site.

Anyway, simplified conclusion:

Providing an alternative, encouraging people to think rather than just spout slogans: GOOD

Being Conservatives: NOT SO GOOD[/quote']

I would agree that many punk outfits do indeed oversimplify issues of political concern, possibly lacking a greater understanding of said issues. However this cannot be said of all. Many many do demonstrate an intelligence and crucial grasp of these topics. Jello and co were but one example. Crass another.

I would agree that many punk outfits do indeed oversimplify issues of political concern' date=' possibly lacking a greater understanding of said issues. However this cannot be said of all. Many many do demonstrate an intelligence and crucial grasp of these topics. Jello and co were but one example. Crass another.[/quote']

Totally. DK are one band who inspire me to look into what they sing about, and do it with just the right amount of humour so they don't sound like Modern Studies teachers. I've never actully heard Crass, must remedy that. Anyway, I agree there ARE bands who sing with a lot of depth.

Guest Scott 5FD

the conservative punk site was set up to rival punkvoter.com, set up by Fat Mike.

punkvoter.com isn't trying to sway people's opinion on who do vote for, which the conservative punk site kinda is. it's just an outlet for news that the media would rather you didn't see. Fat Mike has said many times that his political standpoint is that he dosen't have one.

Nice one peep

Yeah right on man ,OXYMORONIC indeed,I see a lot of folk calling a spade an earth inverting horticultural implement,but little in the gigs resembling some sort of punk set,but fear not 16 AGAIN will show everyone what punk songs were like in 1977 and it may prompt a few bands to rename what they are doing, modern so called punk is largely rubbish and fuck all like punk as I remember it to be,and I saw a lot of great punk bands,with Aberdeens Toxic Ephex being one of the better ones,good old Toxics,punk as fuck,and still dein the occasional gig tae.

Guest AX FAE TX
Is it just coincidence that it's got the same syllable rhythm as "Samurai Pizza Cats"?

I GREAT TO RIGHT IN RHYME

IF I COULD I'D DO IT ALL THE TIME.

Guest allsystemsfail
punk is irrelevant now

shit like this proves it beyond doubt

the music and ideology has been hi jacked and mis used / abused by wankers

so punk is dead

pointless genre

someone should invent a new one

hooray tra la la la

Misused and abused? Yes. Irrelevant? No. Yes, I agree that the mainstreaming of punk has indeed had a negative effect. However, the DIY punk ethic, is very much alive and well. The scene is today larger than ever, with a network of bands, distros, show spaces, zines, labels... stretching across the world. The fact that some have sought to exploit the scene should not undermine its good work.

Guest allsystemsfail
"Punk however has sought to fuck with the system."

Let's start by destroying the benefit state.

I'm sorry, and by that you mean what exactly?

Guest allsystemsfail
Yeah right on man ' date='OXYMORONIC indeed,I see a lot of folk calling a spade an earth inverting horticultural implement,but little in the gigs resembling some sort of punk set,but fear not 16 AGAIN will show everyone what punk songs were like in 1977 and it may prompt a few bands to rename what they are doing, modern so called punk is largely rubbish and fuck all like punk as I remember it to be,and I saw a lot of great punk bands,with Aberdeens Toxic Ephex being one of the better ones,good old Toxics,punk as fuck,and still dein the occasional gig tae.[/quote']

Hey Toxik. I co-arranged their show at Cafe Drummond beginning of last month. And yeah, a really nice buncha guys. Did you catch that gig?

While less so in Aberdeen, there are still a lotta cool punk outfits out there. Yeah, a lot of what passes for punk today is (in my belief) rubbish, so I do agree. But, while that is the case, there are a lotta folks out there still fucking shit up, folks who have sought to build to build a genuine alternative to the rock establishment, and who are fighting for a better future.

Guest Stripey
Read about it elsewhere.

My view? Conservative politics run contrary to punk's basic tenet. Leftist opinion has always been central to its cause. Conservative opinion seeks to protect and preserve the status quo. Punk however has sought to fuck with the system. So' date=' conservative punk? It's just a nonsense.[/quote']

Yeah smash the system man. :rolleyes: It makes me cringe every time I hear people espousing the politics of punk. All thats gone now. Punk has been co-opted into the mainstream, making it politically impotent. Isn't ironic how many so called punk bands today are taking their cues from what they see on MTV rather than politics?

Guest allsystemsfail

I would also, if I can, like to clear up any misunderstanding of the term "DIY". What determines whether an outfit is DIY or not, is not its chosen punk sub-genre, be that pop punk, emo, crust, youth crew hardcore, or ska, but the manner in which a band operates - its commitment to the DIY ethic - that is a refusal to surrender its values to capital, to those who seek only to exploit this scene. DIY spans many genres, and is not limited by style. You will find bands of many many styles committed to DIY.