aberdeen-music

Tremolo Pedals

Tav

tremolo pedals apply a sort of wavering effect to the signal. it think it basically cuts the signal at the frequency you specify, by the amount (depth) you specify. i think "how soon is now" by the smiths uses a tremolo effect on the guitar. it's actually a really nice effect, i think i have it on that old EH pedal i have. but nowadays it is widely available in plugins, etc.

tremolo is a change in the volume...

so basically what a tremolo pedal does is to constantly change the volume (up, down, up, down, etc) you usually have control over the speed it changes volumes at, and the depth, or minimum volume so you can go from machine gun style on/off stuttering, to a nice wobble

i shall also point out the devices on guitars called tremolos arent actually tremolos as such, and are really vibratos, just leo fender deceded to name them tremolos when he stuck them on the stratocaster and the names stuck (they are really called fun sticks)

tremolo is a change in volume, vibrato is a change in pitch

the marshall vibratrem is a pretty good trem pedal, i got one a week ago and i am pretty pleased with it. and as a bonus, is pretty cheap

also the new ehx pulsar is supposed to be pretty good, so is probably worth a look

David

the marshall has a knob that will go from sawtooth to square...

also the boss one is supposed to be pretty cool. cant remember the name of it though, you can also get a keeley modded version of it which should be top notch (www.robertkeeley.com)

if you have lots of money to spend, ZVex will hopefully be releasing the SeekTrem sometime in the future (it was demo'ed at namm) go to the site and watch the videos for the seekwah, but think trem not wah... should be sweet (www.zvex.com)

in addition to the marshall, i also have a dunlop TVP-1, it looks like a crybaby but is a trem/vol pedal, i bought it and use it mainly for the volume, but the trem can be fun to play with, also being able to change the speed of the tremolo via the rocker is pretty cool, the only one of these i have ever seen is the one i own though, and that includes seeing silly amounts of peoples rigs via harmony central...

come to think of it, im sure i could mod the marshall for speed via an external rocker pedal, just need to get hold of a unused crybaby ;)

David

I am aware of Keeley so I will check out what he's got trem wise. As for your mod idea go for it. I am all for that sort of dabbeling. I am suppose to be getting into making some pedals from scratch this summer but haven't had time to get stuff together yet. I am would quite like to get a wah circuit into and Ernie Ball volume pedal as they just look so frickin' ace. I know Kirk Hammet uses those as a voltage control from some devices as well.

well the reason i thought the mod would be so easy is that theres stereo outputs, so i could sacrifice one of the outputs for a plug for an external controller.

at the moment i am intending trying using a setup with one stereo output going to my JCM2000, with the other stereo output going to vamp then to the fx return on the marshall to see how it sounds. (mixing in two sounds at once shoudl hopefully be nice) so i will see how that turns out before sacrificing it

and theres still the problem of needing an empty wah shell too

im wanting to get into building too, i started a custom fuzz for a school project. but it seems to be dead, not sure whats wrong with it either... hopefully i can get some premade pcbs and stuff and give some 'real' effects a shot

David

Maplin have self make PCB's that I might use. I don't know wether to use free hand or another method but I shall find out. I am going to be starting with the EHX Big Muff as I have one I can test it against. Let me know how you get on when you get round to building and perhaps we can trade schems/hints tips etc