aberdeen-music

Budget bass guitars?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

hello, I want to buy a bass guitar to practice on in my room (no amp necessary), but at the same time it has to be good enough so that if i ever needed it to record/play live with, it would be suitable. Absolutely no way i'm spending more than 200 bucks, and preferably it'll be a lot less.

So gimme your best suggestions!

:D

Originally posted by Tam o' Shantie

hello, I want to buy a bass guitar to practice on in my room (no amp necessary), but at the same time it has to be good enough so that if i ever needed it to record/play live with, it would be suitable. Absolutely no way i'm spending more than 200 bucks, and preferably it'll be a lot less.

So gimme your best suggestions!

:D

You really get what you pay for with bass equipment. Buy the best you can and try it out beforehand. It's best to try it out through an amp you know and compare it to a bass that you know. Sub 200 is probably only going to be good enough for fucking about with so go for the second hand market. Active is probably the best bet nowadays as well (but remember to make sure the batteries are good at all times).

Guest DustyDeviada
Originally posted by soundian

Nah, one trick pony.

I've had a Squier Precision bass for over 10 years now, and it's a good bit of kit. However, it was made in Japan. I think they make them in China or something now, and I here they are not as good. But I would recommend a Japanese Squier if you can get one off e-bay or something.

Originally posted by DustyDeviada

I've had a Squier Precision bass for over 10 years now, and it's a good bit of kit. However, it was made in Japan. I think they make them in China or something now, and I here they are not as good. But I would recommend a Japanese Squier if you can get one off e-bay or something.

My point was it only ever sounds like a squier precision. Because of the different uses it will possibly be put to something with a wider tonal range would probably suit him better. I'm not dissing them, they have their place.

Originally posted by soundian

My point was it only ever sounds like a squier precision. Because of the different uses it will possibly be put to something with a wider tonal range would probably suit him better. I'm not dissing them, they have their place.

not true! not true! my brother plays a squire precision through and elecroharmonix 'bass balls' and 'frequency analyser'. It has a wide tonal range, going from'major landslide' all the way through to 'serious subway crash'.

Originally posted by General Ermintrude

not true! not true! my brother plays a squire precision through and elecroharmonix 'bass balls' and 'frequency analyser'. It has a wide tonal range, going from'major landslide' all the way through to 'serious subway crash'.

I was going to add 'without hard EQing or heavy effects' but thought everyone would know what I meant.