aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Art Gallery

framheim

The MDes was the chinese girl's door handles, opening a box for each year of her life...again, more fine art than design! - I guess it's about process...

I did see Mark's vids, but his fave one (he told me) wasn't working, "the dark drag one" (his words).

I am going in tomorrow to re-look.

I liked martin's execution, but he cornered me on saturday, and explained all the life out of the work (for me)...he wanted me to know ALL THE FACTS...(I'm not allowed to make up the answers myself, apparently)...a fault I often had before Steve Hollingsworth bashed it out of me... ho ho

I did Like Kelly Connor's room (I like thommas hirschorn) - but was slightly dissapointed to see that she'd focused on using her BA work in the room... seemed like she'd spent a long time making a housing for old work, if there were "ghosts" of her old work (much like the inferred piles of ash in the "cooker") it might have made more sense to me, but, I remember her work because it was so strong last year.

I did like the slates too, I have some strange affinity with slate (I've used it in my practice too) - quite "Anselm Kiefer meets Richard Long" in a way, I do enjoy the spectacle of "mass" - making something large from small component parts, it always strikes a chord with me...

Yeah I agree, I don't think she passed though, I might be wrong but I think she has to resit next year. Mark was telling me that he was quite interested in the dynamics of the class they seem to be feeding off of eachothers work. So maybe thats got something to do with it.

I can see what you mean about Kellys work for me personally it had echoes of David Blythes work. Not a bad thing at all as I really like his work, Incidentally I don't think it's a conscious thing, I too really enjoyed her BA piece the use of the space was great.

Martin's a great guy and his work is so clinical he can come out with some great pieces but as you say time will give him the experience to let others derive there own conclusions from his work.

Marks 'drag video' is really effective and he showed it to me when he made it, I think it's definately his strongest piece of work to date.

All in all I really enjoyed the show (as much as a laymen can) but yet again it was under publicised.

It's always a difficult thing, a large group show (at "that level" - of art).

the idea is to take time, contemplate and think about the work...

even my stroll on saturday (1 and a half hours) still didn't seem like enough...

6 artists work to absorb in one go...difficult!

I did it with the degree show, going back is always interesting, seeing things you didn't first time round, seeing things differently...all good.

publicity and the MA....hmm....

Gale (RGU press officer) is doing a great job trying to raise the profile, but I think some of the students could do more too - but, working so intensly for 3 month over the summer on a dissertation and show...doesn't leave much time for "self publicity" - but ... it's what any artist shuld do...

but I guess it's a case of what the MA is for, for the experience, or "a show"...I myself used it as a focused learning process, I wasn't too fussed if my work wasn't seen, but when it was up, I wished more people did seee it (funny that I only got that once it was up! - steady!)

I am still terrible at "selling myself", but seem to be doing a grand job for everyone else...I need to become more selfish!