aberdeen-music

Planet Boo at Dr Drakes, June 9th

patrick boo

THE EVENT -

Planet Boo orbits Dr Drakes for one nite only - Wednesday June 9th, 9pm til late.

THE PARTICIPANTS -

Real Shocks - Robotique remnants from 50s nuclear testing moulded into tight nu-fi diskopunka outfit.

Kirby - Tralala spiky but lovely gurl/boy groop from Glasgow, equal parts Shangri-Las and Peej Harvey

Thee Execution Of... - Exciting nu three-piece from Lincoln, sound like Billy Childish, The Raveonettes and The Cramps playfully mudwrestling

Le Reno Amps - The prefect fusion of Johnny Cash and The Barron Knights, like The Proclaimers on Rohypnol.

PLUS -

Exotic filmshows

Gorgeous people

Meeee Deejaying

Antigravity dancefloor

DRESSCODE -

Ladyboy

PRICE -

3 / 2 if you've obeyed the dresscode or for nowt if you have one of them there Go North laminates - corporate cocksuckers we be.

• 2 weeks later...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Can you believe it?,I got so drunk I spoke to a woman for ages thinking she was your keyboard player,it turned out to be the Bassists wife,, I managed to sleep through the set ,right up to the last song,which thankfully was so good I didn't mind the 3 entrance.HOORAH when is the next gig?.

'Woo' and (if I may be so bold as to add) 'yay'.

Had a fun night, loved Le Reno Amps, first time I've actually managed to see them live and now I'm kicking myself for not doing so sooner. I always find lyrics go over my head at gigs, too much else happening to focus on what's being sung - Chris TT last week and Le Reno Amps last night are two rare examples for me of when the song writing really stood out and pushed the lyrics to the front.

Thee Execution Of... I slipped between liking a lot, and being fairly ambivalent to. I wish I'd been able to make out more of how the vocals were supposed to sound, but the female vocalist was either having bad sound problems or just randomly changes volume at will. Maybe I was a tad not-in-the-mood for them, as I'd really come down for the Amps and Real Shocks.

So yar, first time I'd seen the Real Shocks (or even heard them) and in my half-tired state (it was well past my bedtime) they kicked me awake again. Sweet, relentless glam rock'n'roll with a nice bubblegum kick. I wasn't too sure if the sound was muffled, as I was up on the balcony, but never the less I thought it was great.

Some nifty DJ-foo, too! So I had a fun night. Ta Planet Boo!

thankyouse all

Thanks everyone who turned up and made it such a luvverly nite. Unfortunately we were one band down - Kirby had to pull after the soundcheck as Lynne was really ill, so apologies to anyone who turned up to see them.

As for Thee Execution Of's sound, Phoebe's vocals were a little all over the place - this was mainly due to a wee monitor problem apparently. To hear the full effect of their sooper-dooper sound I suggest you look out for their debut single which will be out on Planet Boo soon.

Thanks to all the folks at Drakes for making it such a home from home for Planet Boo too! Mwah!

As for Thee Execution Of's sound' date=' Phoebe's vocals were a little all over the place - this was mainly due to a wee monitor problem apparently. To hear the full effect of their sooper-dooper sound I suggest you look out for their debut single which will be out on Planet Boo soon.

[/quote']

whatever was missing from her vocal sound (not much really) was easily made up for by her exquisite display of mad bopping and shimmying..... :love: