aberdeen-music

rock against bush vol 1

papafuzzz

I bought it mainly for the Ministry "No W" and the Jello Biafra track. Haven't listened to the rest yet, forgot to take it with me to the land of Borat... :(

The Ministry track is ace, and has me eagerly awaiting the new "Houses of the Mol" (a play on the Led Zepplin album "Houses of the Holy") album due next month. It's very metal with fast guitars, reminiscent of Psalm 69 material and VERY like the Ministry side project Lard. It's a combo of Al Jourgensson being firmly off the drugs these days and the departure of bassist Paul Barker, and the return of Psalm 69 era guitarist Mike Scaccia, who played on the last tour but not the last album. His lead-work is very recognisable, I find.

Guest Scott 5FD

it's a good idea, it probably won't change much in America but it's presenting the facts that the media would rather people didn't hear.

there's a rival site here - http://conservativepunk.com

as for the comp, it's pretty good, i like the Alkaline Trio song best coz it sounds alot different to their other stuff.

Guest Scott 5FD
Originally posted by Camie:

Get Up Kids are brilliant anyone who doesnt think so should just stop and think.

i stopped.

i thought.

still thought they were crap.

it's a seriously weak song, but it's the only one i've heard, so maybe i'm being too judgemental.

Originally posted by allsystemsfail:

Shifting the discussion a little, what are folks thoughts on Fat Mike's initiative punkvoter.com?

I think it's a great idea...I dunno how many people will take notice but I'd like to think it would make a difference, even if it's just a slight difference and so for that Fat Mike must get respect.

What I dont understand is Fat Wreck's Benefit to PETA CD in an attempt to get more people to go veggie when you listen to early NOFX songs and Fat Mike mocks veggies and says he's a proud meat eater ?(

Guest Scott 5FD
Originally posted by kirkt:

What I dont understand is Fat Wreck's Benefit to PETA CD in an attempt to get more people to go veggie when you listen to early NOFX songs and Fat Mike mocks veggies and says he's a proud meat eater ?(

i don't think it necceserally (sp?) wants people to turn veggie, i think it's more that it was aleting people to the fact that their's all this cruelty to animals going on when it shouldn't be.

"Don't waste your breath about animal rights, and how they should be free, it's survival of the fittest, and we're winning" - NOFX, "Vegetarian Mumbo Jumbo"

dont get me wrong, i do like NOFX and respect Fat Mike, just this seems a very hypocritical thing for him to do. Surely anyone who cares about animal rights is a veggie anyway?

Guest allsystemsfail

Personally, while I have some difficulties with punkvoter.com, if it at all raises a greater awareness - that is to say, get folks to become involved in political discussion, then I welcome it.

Guest allsystemsfail
Originally posted by kirkt:

"Don't waste your breath about animal rights, and how they should be free, it's survival of the fittest, and we're winning" - NOFX, "Vegetarian Mumbo Jumbo"

dont get me wrong, i do like NOFX and respect Fat Mike, just this seems a very hypocritical thing for him to do. Surely anyone who cares about animal rights is a veggie anyway?

I would agree. While putting together a comp. to benefit the work of PETA is commendable, it is I think hypocritical, while supporting such a project, to eat animals.

I listened to jason's copy of this record, and it's pretty good.

apparently the punk voter thing is doing pretty well

as for the meat eating thing, i read an interview ( an old old old one cos they dont "do" them any more) where fat mike is explaining about on the old records when he was all mocking veggies and that, he said it was at that time he was annoyed at punks who only worried about animals and didnt worry about anything else. He also said that when he wrote those songs he was like 18-20 years old, but has since become a veggie himself (since about 1992 i think) so the animal rights comp might be hypocritical of the old records but not of recent stuff.

Guest highroller
Originally posted by Charlotte:

How come?

Well it still blows away everything else on the cd but strung out have such a high standard that i thought it was sub standard by their err...standards....

its throw away for them but to a lesser band it would be a masterpeice. The last fat compilation they put on a leftover track from the "an american paradox" sessions and it was "your worst mistake" and it is my fave strung out song....just shows you huh...

I know the next album will be better than EVERYTHING else out there.....

the vocal line on "no voice of mine" is awesome though and the vocals themselves but...hey...its jason cruz...the guy is a genuine god and no better voice in rock music exists today.