aberdeen-music

Ps3 Or Xbox?

Jim Stax

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all relative, as there is far more software on the xbox 360 than there is on the PS3. You may also say there are more triple A games on the 360....

Very true, and i'm not discounting that. But you could also argue that as Sony decide themselves who they allow to develop games for the PS3 and that development for the PS3 usually requires a bit more effort, as opposed to allowing any Tom, Dick or Harry develop games on a rather open platform like the Xbox 360 there is less likelihood of a dud getting through in the first place.

I'm not saying the Xbox is a bad machine at all. Just that i prefer the PS3 as it suits my needs better.

There are far too many Xbox fanboys on here though.

Well it is *technically* a more powerful machine is it? I don't know much about the technical aspect but it is isn't it? They just haven't really harnessed its full power (hence games running better on the Xbox).

That's always the case with consoles, espically playstation. I remember getting my PS2 on release and the games were shite, 2-3 years later you were getting GTA vice city, MGS, final fantasy X and lots of other top games people were fauning over. Xbox is into it's third year, PS3 is just 18 months into it's life, this time next year there will be far more better quality and more indepth games.

Also remember that the xbox uses dvd while the PS3 uses bluray which can hold more information, hence the development process takes longer as there is more data companies can cram into a game, GTA 4 for example was held back as they couldn't fit everything they wanted onto the dvd for xbox.

On the exclusivity thing, i can't see there being many games that will come out for just one format due to the amount of money developers can make by turning their games into prostitutes, however i do think that the PS3 will be seen to be getting a bum deal as games may come out later for the console due to the developers wanting to utilise the bluray disc more effectively.

Very true, and i'm not discounting that. But you could also argue that as Sony decide themselves who they allow to develop games for the PS3 and that development for the PS3 usually requires a bit more effort, as opposed to allowing any Tom, Dick or Harry develop games on a rather open platform like the Xbox 360 there is less likelihood of a dud getting through in the first place.

Nah nah laddie. You have got the complete wrong end of the stick. Sony would love every tom dick and harry to develop for them but the simple facts are:

1. The PS3 is a proper bastard to develop for. A lot of companies now develop on the 360 as lead format as it's a lot easier to programme for. This is why a lot of PS3 games are inferior to the 360 versions.

2. The PS3 has not performed as well as sony would have hoped. It is picking up momentum now, but software houses know they will make more money by picking the 360 as it's main/lead format.

Remember the PS1 and PS2 had absolutely huge gaming catalogues. In fact the PS2 quite possibily has had the highest amount of poor software seen on any console (as well as a lot of excellent games). None of the big three (sony,nintendo and microsoft) exercise any kind of content quality control.

Nah nah laddie. You have got the complete wrong end of the stick. Sony would love every tom dick and harry to develop for them but the simple facts are:

1. The PS3 is a proper bastard to develop for. A lot of companies now develop on the 360 as lead format as it's a lot easier to programme for. This is why a lot of PS3 games are inferior to the 360 versions.

2. The PS3 has not performed as well as sony would have hoped. It is picking up momentum now, but software houses know they will make more money by picking the 360 as it's main/lead format.

Remember the PS1 and PS2 had absolutely huge gaming catalogues. In fact the PS2 quite possibily has had the highest amount of poor software seen on any console (as well as a lot of excellent games). None of the big three (sony,nintendo and microsoft) exercise any kind of content quality control.

I completely disagree with you. Apart from about the PS1/PS2 having some shit games.

I wouldn't say that any of the multi-format games are worse on the PS3 at all. But that's subject to personal opinion.

I've had a PS3 since launch day and my only real regret is buying a new console on launch day! There wasn't a huge amount of Triple A games available but thats going to be the same with any new console. However, people have been developing for it for several years now and the games are getting there. There is a list of titles that can easily rival what is available on the 360.

Online is usually quite good most of the time but it could be a little simpler and user friendly like Xbox Live. As far as movies go, the Bluray drive is excellent and you'll be paying at least 100 to buy one for the Xbox when that comes out. Should wipe out the initial savings in one fell swoop. I've also never had a problem with my PS3 breaking down. *knocks on wood*

As far as games go, the Xbox is probably doing slightly better this generation for the simple reason that it's been out longer. More time = more games. If both machines had come out at the same time, we probably wouldn't even have that as a talking point. PS3 games still look the business though. In my opinion though, for the most part, games are just as good on the PS3 as the Xbox.

Nope, I'm quite happy with the PS3. Both are good games consoles but the PS3 just does that bit extra that I'm after. Hi-def games + movies = win.