aberdeen-music

Celtic Connections - Camera Obscura and Twilight Sad

Swingin' Ryan

Was anyone else at this gig?

I really enjoyed it, it's nice to go to a gig where the bands playing don't really sound the same, there's not enoughed mixed bills at gigs anymore.

Twilight Sad impressed me a good bit, I'd heard bits and pieces but I didn't know much about them but they managed to create an amazing wall of sound with just 5 guys, the last 2 minutes was a beautiful racket.

Camera Obscura were amazing, third time I've seen them now. I was down at the barrier (which I rarely do at gigs) like a proper fanboy. New song sounded great, I am eagerly waiting the new album. Carey Lander is my keyboard hero, she walked past me twice inside ABC and I visibly swooned.

In conclusion, I like this whole Celtic Connections idea a lot, it's just a pity it's the only one of the gigs I managed to get to.

Was anyone else at this gig?

I really enjoyed it, it's nice to go to a gig where the bands playing don't really sound the same, there's not enoughed mixed bills at gigs anymore.

Twilight Sad impressed me a good bit, I'd heard bits and pieces but I didn't know much about them but they managed to create an amazing wall of sound with just 5 guys, the last 2 minutes was a beautiful racket.

Camera Obscura were amazing, third time I've seen them now. I was down at the barrier (which I rarely do at gigs) like a proper fanboy. New song sounded great, I am eagerly waiting the new album. Carey Lander is my keyboard hero, she walked past me twice inside ABC and I visibly swooned.

In conclusion, I like this whole Celtic Connections idea a lot, it's just a pity it's the only one of the gigs I managed to get to.

Yeah I was there, thought it was really good.

I thought Twlight Sad were absolutely brilliant, they seem to get better every time I see them. It was one of the most enthralling sets I've seen in a long time. Before the gig I was a bit unsure about them being a suitable support for Camera Obscura, but I thougt it woprked out pretty well.

It was the first time I'd seen Camera Obscura live and I was pretty impressed. The material they played for the new album was sounding good and there was a really nice atmosphere in the ABC. I was down the front too, beside a girl wearing a beret and various ribbons that made her look like she'd just walked off a photo shoot for a Camera Obscura album cover!

I saw Twilight Sad outside afterwards, and the heady mix of Obscura-induced happiness and Kronenburg made me think it's be a good idea to accost them. I ended up plunging imaginary knives into their chests, and was a bit disappointed they didn't get my less-than-subtle references to their own songs. Ah well.

I was there too, ABC is a great venue, with decent priced drinks! I didn't think shutter weren't as bad as people have made out, they weren't very original but they weren't offensive either. The Twilight Sad sounded great a lot better than they did supporting idelwild, and I'm looking forward to seeing them again. Camera Obscura were great as always but I didn't recognise the 80's cover they did? Can anyone tell me what it was?

was anyone there for the whole weekend? anyone catch King creosote and James Yorkstone or Emma Pollock?

Did you see Shutter? They are one of the worst and most generic bands I have ever witnessed.

I avoided them after seeing the tagline 'instrumental, experimental, post-rock', when I see that I just read 'half an hour of 'epic' build-ups'. Strangely though, I've just had a look at their website and it turns out I saw them last year and not realised. I was right, they were dire!

Camera Obscura were great as always but I didn't recognise the 80's cover they did? Can anyone tell me what it was?

It was Some Guy's Have All The Luck, I think it was Rod Stewart that did it orginally. My favourite of their covers is Sheena Easton's Modern Girl, it's beyond amazing.

The material they played for the new album was sounding good and there was a really nice atmosphere in the ABC.

I did notice that there wasn't people talking during the quiet songs, that made a huge difference. Last time I saw Camera Obscura, Traceyanne actually changed some of the lyrics mid-song to accost the people who were just loudly chatting through 'Books Written For Girls'.

I was down for the KC / JY show. Missed the Festival Club though, due to not realising you had to prebook tickets weeks in advance.

Good fun otherwise

Ah you missed out then, you'll know for next year

I was down to see Steve Earle + Alison Moorer and then for a measly 3.50 i saw Kate Rusby, The Chair and Flook at the Club, it was jumpin (apart from Kate Rusby obviously), its a very difficult place to leave :up:

Ah you missed out then, you'll know for next year

I was down to see Steve Earle + Alison Moorer and then for a measly 3.50 i saw Kate Rusby, The Chair and Flook at the Club, it was jumpin (apart from Kate Rusby obviously), its a very difficult place to leave :up:

If you want to hear the Steve Earle gig again I upped my recording of it onto Dime:

www.dimeadozen.org :: EzTorrent v0.6beta :: Login

:up:

Cheers, might go for a listen. I bet the CD decks, beats and "scratching" fair pissed off the purists! :laughing:

I thought it worked OK after the first number where the "beats" were too loud.

Didn't seem like the DJ guy had much license though, it wasn't far off some guy playing along to backing tapes in a pub.

Why do I recognise this name? I'm sure I've never seen them but I know something has occurred at some point that required discussion. Maybe it was just about how crap they were. Gah, this is going to annoy me now.

They've played Aberdeen a few times. I've seen them at Moorings, Drummonds and Captain Toms.

I don't think they're as bad as Phil makes out, but then I don't listen to as much of that instrumental stuff as he does.