aberdeen-music

Sweeny Todd

framheim

well what did you think? i saw it yesterday and was a bit underwhelmed. i'm not a big fan of musicals but thought this one would be different. my main problem being that it takes so long to move a plot forward through song. if it hadn't been a musical the film would have only lasted 30 minutes.

still, it was very good for what it was. the feel of the film was very familiar to burton fans. gothic and dark yet with a fantasy feel to it all. all the performances were pretty solid with timothy spall being a particular standout as the creepy beadle. some genuine laugh out loud moments too like helena bonham carters seaside song and johnny depps wonderfully depressed facial expressions throughout it. the songs were pretty good too and the cast struck a good balance between solid singing and characterisation.

if you're squeemish then i'd be wary of watching this though. there is a lot of blood, almost to levels previously seen in splatter films like braindead. and the end is particularly gruesome.

so despite the fact that it's a musical i would say it's a good film though if you already don't like musicals then don't expect this to be too different.

I saw about 30 seconds of this during a review on the telly, and it made me want to stab all the actors to death. I don't know how anyone can watch musicals with being violently sick, they should be kept for children, pensioners and other mentally disabled people. Tim Burton is obviously a twat.

Worth I download, yeah, you thievin scum. I agree with Dave about the plot, and for a musical the songs were very unmemorable. I didn't like Johnny Depp in it either, he was a bit one-dimensional, although I guess that was kind of intentional. Overall it was OK, but nothing great, and even visually Burton I thought it was underwhelming, I mean Burton was hardly challenging himself.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know how anyone can watch musicals with being violently sick, they should be kept for children, pensioners and other mentally disabled people. Tim Burton is obviously a twat.

Rocky Horror Show

South Park the movie

2 memorable great musicals definiately not for children, pensioners or the disabled

I watched this to see what like, but agreed got a bit boring and unnecessary in bits - Sacha was pretty good in it tho :)

• 2 weeks later...