aberdeen-music

Kevin Keegan

JJ 10 Easy Wishes

it's either going to be the most inspired managerial signing the toon army have made in recent years or turn out to be a total flop. either way it's always fun with keegan around. i just hope he can get so wound up we see some more rants like he did at fergie back in 96.

with the money they have and the fan base there is doubt newcastle have the potential to be up there with the big four. keegan is a bit of a bottler when the chips are down mind.

ha ha excellent wind up. However I will justify it with these conclusions:

the reason all those managers have been sacked is because of Freddy Shephard's ineptitude and rash decision making AAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDD:

Kenny Dalglish: took over from kevin keegan when we were in 2nd place mid season, finished 2nd. Signed Shay Given and Gary Speed. good work. summer time = sell all the good players we have and replace with below average foreign players like Andreas Anderson and Guivarch. When they weren't quite shit enough he signed fucking JOHN BARNES, IAN RUSH AND STUART PEARCE who were about 80 years old. Finished 13th. If you recall Keegan finished 3rd, 6th, 2nd and 2nd. You'll find the fans didn't actually call for Dalglish to be sacked when he was 6 games into the next season but Shephard decided that despite giving him lots of money to spend in the summer it wasn't worth giving him a chance.

THEN

Ruud Gullit: Strange appointment. didn't even live in Newcastle - he used to commute from Holland 3 days a week. he managed to make us finish in 13th and bought even more superb players like Frank Dumas and 8 million on Duncan Ferguson. he was sacked the following season when it was obvious he was shit and quickly turning us into aston villa - our decline would be comparable to arsenal's were wenger to leave now and dalglish sell all the players (obviously arsenal won cups first, but if keegan hadn't imploded it may have happened for the toon). Gullit was sacked when we lost 2-1 to worst premiership team ever Sunderland, having left top scorer Alan Shearer on the bench to prove a point.

Sir Bobby! Finished 11th twice in a row. SACK HIM! SACK HIM! Oh no wait, he was playing good football and making actively positive decisions that started to see an upturn in the club's fortunes. He signed many of the main stays of our current squad, including excellent youth players of the time (lua lua, nzogbia, milner, butt, carr, robert) but did waste money on (8 million)Carl Cort and Titus Bramble (who was highly rated back in teh day). Now then, after 2 years of mid table, but notable progress not seen under the last 2 piss take managers, Sir Bobby had us finish 4th, 3rd, then 5th. That's pretty good going for a team raped by gullit and dalglish who weren't 'given enough time'. enough time to what? fuck it up even worse than they had? Robson's next season started in bad form, a lot like spurs' this season and Jol was sacked too wasn't he? Robson was fired because Shephard was a cunt and rumours of no dressing room control made robson seem far less empowered than he should. So who else to sort out the dressing room nightmare which Keiron Dyer and Bowyer presented?

Graeme Fucking Souness. Finished 14th. Started even worse than Robson the next year.

Everyone must appreciate that he HAD to go. No one wanted him there in the first place. fans, the players, even the media weren't excited.

THEN

Glenn Roeder took over mid way through the next season (Souness was given half a season to prove everyone wrong) and we finished 7th and in a Uefa cup place. The next season, a cup which was Newcastle's to lose was lost due to Roeder's tactical non-know how as we lost a 2 goal AWAY advantage by playing in a style that completely suited AZ's Louis Van Gaal's vastly superior footballing knowledge. This game all but sealed Roeder's fate. He had just broadcast how very, very, very non premiership a manager he was in a very obvious way. For anyone who didn't see that game you won't understand and will say 'you fired a manager cos of one game lolz'.

Then BIG SAM

I wasn't too pleased he was appointed, but duely applied myself to support his team as I had the last few. He very quickly signed some players that seemed quite good, got rid of some bad wood and appointed 23 additional backroom staff to analyse EVERYTHING. All positives till we started playing THE WORST FOOTBALL I HAVE EVER SEEN NEWCASTLE PLAY. Week in, week out. Fucking hell it was boring. The dressing room had a revolt with one player (rumoured to be Butt) shouting in disbelief during a team talk "but what do we do when WE HAVE the fucking ball?!"

Allardyce was probably the best appointment Shephard could have made, but not the best Mike Ashley and Chris Mort could have. In fairness to Ashley, he put with half a season of this shit.

The only way to restore some sort of pride in the club was hire someone who understood the passion involved and how important the style of football is. Attacking football scores goals. Goals win games. We weren't going to get any of the top tier managers, and Wengers only come around every so often, so the best thing to do was get someone who understood the club, was good in the transfer market and had the backing of the fans and dressing room.

And this my friends, is the end of my essay that should have seen the time better spent on revising for my exam tomorrow.

that was a great read, think you should replace shearer on the MOTD couch when shearer inevitably links up with keegan.

its pretty spot on mind - if anyone can sort newcastle out its keegan with loads of cash to splash. i think he feels he has unfinished business from the last time around esp after throwing away that 12 point lead.

I seem to remember another manager promising sexy fotball on Tyneside and that didn't go to well! IN fact i seem to remember it ending with getting beat by Sunderland in the pouring rain with Shearer and Ferguson on the bench. I used to follow Newcastle a bit, not support, but followed with interest, but I can't be bothered with the way the clubs run now, bad manger after bad manager, shite signings, and up until recently a team full of right little cunts - Bowyer convicted of racial assualt, Dyer refusing to play on the right wing, Bellamy mouthing off about the manager, teammates fighting on the pitch etc. Oh and don't forget Joey Barton.

Still I hope they do well cos they are a big club starved of success, but it's such a weird place, with ridiculous expectations. Newcastle fans need to wise up a bit and realise they are miles behind the big teams and that won't be changing any time soon.

The appointment will either turn out to be a masterstroke or an absolute car crash. Obviously I'm hoping that King Kev can pull it all together (which I think he will do in the short term at least), but there is still some doubt lingering in the back of my mind. I think he is FAR better suited to the job than Big Sam though.

I don't think I want Shearer around actually, it would undermine Keegan's authority having him hanging around being groomed for the job. That said, I'd rather have him than Dennis Wise (as has been reported in a couple of papers over the last few days).

ha ha excellent wind up. However I will justify it with these conclusions:

the reason all those managers have been sacked is because of Freddy Shephard's ineptitude and rash decision making AAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDD:

Kenny Dalglish: took over from kevin keegan when we were in 2nd place mid season, finished 2nd. Signed Shay Given and Gary Speed. good work. summer time = sell all the good players we have and replace with below average foreign players like Andreas Anderson and Guivarch. When they weren't quite shit enough he signed fucking JOHN BARNES, IAN RUSH AND STUART PEARCE who were about 80 years old. Finished 13th. If you recall Keegan finished 3rd, 6th, 2nd and 2nd. You'll find the fans didn't actually call for Dalglish to be sacked when he was 6 games into the next season but Shephard decided that despite giving him lots of money to spend in the summer it wasn't worth giving him a chance.

THEN

Ruud Gullit: Strange appointment. didn't even live in Newcastle - he used to commute from Holland 3 days a week. he managed to make us finish in 13th and bought even more superb players like Frank Dumas and 8 million on Duncan Ferguson. he was sacked the following season when it was obvious he was shit and quickly turning us into aston villa - our decline would be comparable to arsenal's were wenger to leave now and dalglish sell all the players (obviously arsenal won cups first, but if keegan hadn't imploded it may have happened for the toon). Gullit was sacked when we lost 2-1 to worst premiership team ever Sunderland, having left top scorer Alan Shearer on the bench to prove a point.

Sir Bobby! Finished 11th twice in a row. SACK HIM! SACK HIM! Oh no wait, he was playing good football and making actively positive decisions that started to see an upturn in the club's fortunes. He signed many of the main stays of our current squad, including excellent youth players of the time (lua lua, nzogbia, milner, butt, carr, robert) but did waste money on (8 million)Carl Cort and Titus Bramble (who was highly rated back in teh day). Now then, after 2 years of mid table, but notable progress not seen under the last 2 piss take managers, Sir Bobby had us finish 4th, 3rd, then 5th. That's pretty good going for a team raped by gullit and dalglish who weren't 'given enough time'. enough time to what? fuck it up even worse than they had? Robson's next season started in bad form, a lot like spurs' this season and Jol was sacked too wasn't he? Robson was fired because Shephard was a cunt and rumours of no dressing room control made robson seem far less empowered than he should. So who else to sort out the dressing room nightmare which Keiron Dyer and Bowyer presented?

Graeme Fucking Souness. Finished 14th. Started even worse than Robson the next year.

Everyone must appreciate that he HAD to go. No one wanted him there in the first place. fans, the players, even the media weren't excited.

THEN

Glenn Roeder took over mid way through the next season (Souness was given half a season to prove everyone wrong) and we finished 7th and in a Uefa cup place. The next season, a cup which was Newcastle's to lose was lost due to Roeder's tactical non-know how as we lost a 2 goal AWAY advantage by playing in a style that completely suited AZ's Louis Van Gaal's vastly superior footballing knowledge. This game all but sealed Roeder's fate. He had just broadcast how very, very, very non premiership a manager he was in a very obvious way. For anyone who didn't see that game you won't understand and will say 'you fired a manager cos of one game lolz'.

Then BIG SAM

I wasn't too pleased he was appointed, but duely applied myself to support his team as I had the last few. He very quickly signed some players that seemed quite good, got rid of some bad wood and appointed 23 additional backroom staff to analyse EVERYTHING. All positives till we started playing THE WORST FOOTBALL I HAVE EVER SEEN NEWCASTLE PLAY. Week in, week out. Fucking hell it was boring. The dressing room had a revolt with one player (rumoured to be Butt) shouting in disbelief during a team talk "but what do we do when WE HAVE the fucking ball?!"

Allardyce was probably the best appointment Shephard could have made, but not the best Mike Ashley and Chris Mort could have. In fairness to Ashley, he put with half a season of this shit.

The only way to restore some sort of pride in the club was hire someone who understood the passion involved and how important the style of football is. Attacking football scores goals. Goals win games. We weren't going to get any of the top tier managers, and Wengers only come around every so often, so the best thing to do was get someone who understood the club, was good in the transfer market and had the backing of the fans and dressing room.

And this my friends, is the end of my essay that should have seen the time better spent on revising for my exam tomorrow.

Superb post above. I think we should have made a move for Sir Bobby when Keegan left the first time around actually; he'd have been the perfect man to carry on the progress that King Kev had made and of course he'd have been a bit younger so we'd have been able to have him around for longer. I do think that by the time we parted company with Bobby he was beginning to show signs of losing it (as evident in the last couple of months of his last full season in charge) and that we were right to dispose of him, but the timing was terrible and I'm disgusted at the way Fat Freddy treated him. We should've offered him a role upstairs in the boardroom that summer and brought in a new man, but that just isn't the Newcastle way, is it?

I think our problems stem not only from the ridiculous expectations of much of our fanbase but also from the ridiculous ineptitude from our board over the years. I was over the moon when Fat Freddy left the club just before the summer as I think he's done us no favours by making countless wrong managerial appointments over the years. While I will always give a new Newcastle manager my full backing, I wasn't happy with the appointments of Souness, Roeder and Gullit (although at least he had the good grace to hold his hands up and take the blame for his shortcomings) but I guess that's just how things go.

I'm not your typical deluded Newcastle fan; I don't think we should be in the top 6 every year, and I don't think we have some sort of God given right to be title contenders. I recognise the fact that we are, at the moment, a mediocre midtable side, but one with bags of potential. However, I don't see getting beaten by the likes of Wigan and Derby regularly acceptable for a club of our size, and I absolutely loathed Big Sam's disgusting 4-3-3 "if the ball enters our box just hoof it at Viduka or kick it in the stands, lads" style of football.

For this club to be successful (I'm convinced we're cursed tbh, no domestic tropheys in 52 years and all that) the manager needs to receive full backing from the board, and above all else, he needs TIME. Keegan will certainly get a lot more time than Sam did but I'm still worried that if results don't start to go our way then the board will make another rash decision and replace him with a nothing manager like David O'Leary.

I guess we're just the epitome of a badly run club *shrugs*

Such is the rollercoaster ride that is being a fan of Newcastle United. Wouldn't change a fucking thing though. :up:

Has Keegan won any trophies as a top-flight manager?

He's won the First Division title twice with Newcastle in 1992-93 and Man City in 2001-02, and the Second Division title once with Fulham in 1998-99.

I know they aren't exactly Top Flight achievements, but they have been pivotal in the development of all three clubs, especially in Man City's case.

this forum is boring and it wasn't before. also the people who post on here are easy to wind up (in reference to french disko's question)

also i have an exam tomorrow and need something to distract me

it's hardly a wind up is it? it's not as though you're coming out with some outrageous statement that drives the forum into some apocalyptic rage? the Keegan / newcastle thing is in the news and the view you posted originally is a view help by a good proportion of NUFC supporters.

it's hardly a wind up is it? it's not as though you're coming out with some outrageous statement that drives the forum into some apocalyptic rage? the Keegan / newcastle thing is in the news and the view you posted originally is a view help by a good proportion of NUFC supporters.

i support newcastle. i started this thread to see what everyone else would say about it. i think i'm really individual by doing things like this, it makes me different to everyone else on this forum