VIALKA + FOXFACE

Friday 15th February

The Tunnels, Carnegies Brae, Aberdeen. AB10 1BF Phone 01224 211121

Doors 8pm Entry 5

http://www.thetunnels.co.uk

http://www.myspace.com/interestingmusic

vialka_poster.jpg

VIALKA

The dynamic duo of Marylise Frecheville and Eric Boros have been lugging their nomadic turbo folk sound and modus vivendi all over the planet since the turn of the century, originally as the rhythm section of the performance striptease jazz-punk trio NNY, and since 2002 as Vialka. They have resided in Switzerland, Slovenia, Canada, and are currently calling a remote village in France their home between tours. Deriving its influences from traditional and modern underground music from around the globe, Vialka's music is based on the frenetic interaction between Marylise's syncopated drumming and singing and Eric's orchestral guitar playing - and is delivered with ecstatic energy, humor, lust for life, and a sophisticated musical language and subliminal connection all their own.

After releasing their first two albums "Tonight I Show You Fuck" (2002) and "Republic Of The Bored & Boring" (2003) on the mysterious Manufracture label, they founded the "VIA" nonprofit cooperative for the production and promotion of working artists (officially the Vialka Association 1901) and henceforth began releasing their own material: "Everywhere And Nowhere" (2004), a video documenting their work together over the first five years; "Curiosities Of Popular Customs" (2005), their first full-length recording; a split disc with the Israeli "klezmercore" combo Kruzenshtern I Parohod (2006 - co-released with Auris Media in Israel); and their latest album "Plus Vite Que La Musique" (2007) - their second recording with Bob Drake.

Vialka is not just a musical project, but a social scientific experiment, attempting to meet, communicate and work with extraordinary and little known musicians and artists from everywhere and nowhere - with particular interest in polluted dictatorships, bleak colonies, and monarchic democracies.

They have toured extensively in over forty-five countries (100+ concerts per year) across Europe, Africa, North America and Asia, and have collaborated with Italian saxophonist Jacopo Andreini, Macedonian artist collective OPA, French cinematographer Laurent Varlet, Swiss cinematographer Sbastien Riond, French eco-designer Cdric Carles, members of the Chinese punk band SDL, the legendary former-CAN singer Damo Suzuki, and New Zealand drummer Kieran Monaghan.

http://www.myspace.com/vialka

FOXFACE

Foxface are a three-piece band based in Glasgow, Scotland. They released a self-funded debut 7 Monster Seas/Across To Texa in April 2006, contributed a track to Chemikal Underground Records critically applauded 'Ballads Of The Book' compilation earlier this year, and have now recorded their eagerly anticipated debut album 'This Is What Makes Us' for Gargleblast Records. Recently the band has embarked on a tour supporting Idlewilds Roddy Woomble, as well as appearing at the Isle of Skye, Greenman, Indian Summer and Belladrum Festivals.

Their live performances have become legendary in Scotland, a menagerie of eclectic instrumentation and eccentric costume giving them an air of the otherworldly, one where folk heritage blends with modern rock and roll. Foxface are: Michael Angus (Guitar / Vocals), Jenny Bell (Bass / Vocals) & John Ferguson (Drums / Accordian / Banjo / Mandolin)

"'This Is What Makes Us' is Foxface's 2007 debut album which, capturing this magical mix of personal narrative and folkish storytelling, is utterly captivating in its iridescent originality. Recorded at Lanarkshires appraised Chem 19 Recordings by producer Andy Miller (Mogwai, Sons & Daughters, Delgados, Arab Strap), the album renders beautifully the world in which Foxface exist; one where visceral nature meets quiet recollection, and where an ancient magic envelops the everyday. This album marries memory with a strong sense of place and history, giving it an unmistakable and essentially Scottish identity, but still retaining the international pop sensibility of a truly important band. We love Foxface, and hope that you will too"

http://www.myspace.com/foxfacemusic

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, so as mentioned elsewhere Foxface have had to withdraw from this gig. Wounded Knee will be the equally wonderful replacement.

here's a wee blurb on Wounded Knee...

WOUNDED KNEE

Wounded Knee is an experimental musician from Edinburgh, Scotland. He is a happy amateur. He doesn't want to kill anybody.

Since Wounded Knee's dronecore submission to the Benbecula Records Minerals Series Box set in 2005, his style has radically changed through the introduction of vocal loops and found instruments, as evident in 2007s Wounded Knee album. WK's recorded work is a true reproduction of his live show with very little added to his subtly adlib formula.* A post modern Hebridean waulking song ethic along with one of the most accomplished dramatic tenors in contemporary music forms a unique, hypnotic and honest sound that is without clich or match.

Benbecula once again embraces true deviation from the popularly held notion of modern Scottish music.

"This is a record unlike anything youll hear this year, all the better for it, and something that will most likely take you out of your previous listening experience, but to somewhere youll be happy to return." Is This Music

a classically-trained vocalists take on Panda Bear Cyclic Defrost

http://www.myspace.com/iamwoundedknee

http://www.benbecula.com

It will probably be an instrumental.

Just got a massive leccy bill in today, so the chances of me being there are getting slimmer :(

I thought you old folk turned your heating down in winter to avoid situations like this? :up:

we do have special cynic admission rates for you, mind Alan...

come on down!

thepriceisright.jpg

I thought you old folk turned your heating down in winter to avoid situations like this? :up:

we do have special cynic admission rates for you, mind Alan...

come on down!

thepriceisright.jpg

cheecky young fecker, never mind Alan you can borrow a walking stick from the walking wounded @ the local fitba club & hit the young twat on the heid, he won't feel it coz

his heid is protected by a tea cozy.......

i'll bring the camera for the action.

I wouldn't hit offramp!

But I might soak his tea-cosy in the contents of my colostomy bag:up:

'Nother bill arrived today (phone this time), so I definitely won't be in attendance....sorry!

(Also got a TV license red reminder, but I phoned them up pointing out I am licensed til August, and have a Spar paypoint slip with details and a current license to prove it ...took me about 2 hours to find the damned things though!!!)