aberdeen-music

Combo + Attenuator

Tav

So I know you can put an atenuator between a Amp Head and Cabinet by plugging it in with leads leads from each. In a combo the speaker is wired directly to the amplifier in most cases? If I want to use an attenuator could I just take the two wires off of the speaker then put them onto a stero jack. Then put another two wires on the speaker and put those onto a stero jack. Finally I take the two new "leads" and just plug them into the attenuator?

If people aren't sure and have an harmony-central accoutn could you post this on their amp forum. I can't sign up to harmony-central for some reason so any help would be appriciated.

Originally posted by Tav:

So I know you can put an atenuator between a Amp Head and Cabinet by plugging it in with leads leads from each. In a combo the speaker is wired directly to the amplifier in most cases? If I want to use an attenuator could I just take the two wires off of the speaker then put them onto a stero jack. Then put another two wires on the speaker and put those onto a stero jack. Finally I take the two new "leads" and just plug them into the attenuator?

If people aren't sure and have an harmony-central accoutn could you post this on their amp forum. I can't sign up to harmony-central for some reason so any help would be appriciated.

Why are you planning to use stereo jacks? Mono is all you need.

You're right apart form that.

If it's a decent amp (if it's a valve amp that means yes), then the combo speakers have a jack on the end and then plug into the amp. so you just buy a new speaker (not instrument) cable and plug it between amp and attenuator and then the speakers plug into output of attenuator.

To crank an lower wattage valve amp at gigs in vnues like drakes or that means 20W or less. that means el84s or 6v6s which don't sound the same as el34s and 6l6s. Plus, the smaller amps don't always have the features of the bigger ones.

Craig

Originally posted by Monk Rocker:

In most modern amps you can unplug the speaker. Why are you so hellbent on using an attenuator, though? Seriously, save yourself sone cash and get a low wattage combo.:cheers:

Because I might want the versatility of both higher and lower watts. There's a new fender out with modern gain channle but it's a combo and I want to be able to use it at bed room levels/recording so, I want to make sure I can use an attenuator to turn the speaker down/off. It already has a 1/4 power switch but it's still likely to be too loud to crank in the house...

Guest redmeat
Originally posted by craig deadenstereo:

If it's a decent amp (if it's a valve amp that means yes),

:moody: :moody: :moody: :moody: :laughing::sleeping:X( X-(

Buying an amp which you know is too powerfull for your needs and then spending more cash to make it useable is crazy. No attenuator is transparent and you still need a reasonable amount of volume from the speaker to get a good sound. The marketing-speak of cranked stack sound at conversation volume is bullshit.

I've heard a cranked DSL201 through a 4X12 and it sounds massive.

Originally posted by redmeat:

Buying an amp which you know is too powerfull for your needs and then spending more cash to make it useable is crazy. No attenuator is transparent and you still need a reasonable amount of volume from the speaker to get a good sound. The marketing-speak of cranked stack sound at conversation volume is bullshit.

i think what he is wanting, is a decent powered valve amp, that is loud enough for gigging with. but then to also use an attenuator to take it down to bedroom levels for use at home...

if the amp has the option of running externam cabs, then its most likely that they will be able to disconnect the internal speaker to stick an attenuator between amp and speakers

one problem you might come across would be the length of the speaker cables... for internal speakers, i know most amps will have the speaker wired directly to a 1/4 inch jack that plugs into the output, but the cable will only be long enough to reach the output and possibly a little further. so unless the attenuator is sitting behind the amp in reach of the speaker lead you would have to find some way of extending it

i dont think extending it would be too hard, you would have to find some way of turning the 1/4 in ch jack on the speaker to a 1/4 inch socket. so then you would need a patch cable length speaker lead for normal use, or a longer lead for using with an attenuator

David

Originally posted by redmeat:

Yeah I used to play a DSL 201 too, and I did like it. However, I play a 50W JMP now and it sounds far better. But to get that sound at a decent volume you need an attenuator.

201s use el84s. They do sound different to El34s, which i think sound better, and bigger somehow. Depends how much you care really.

Originally posted by David:

i think what he is wanting, is a decent powered valve amp, that is loud enough for gigging with. but then to also use an attenuator to take it down to bedroom levels for use at home...

David

Got it one Dave. I am just exploring options before I settle on an amp which has to last a VERY long time.

Guest redmeat
Originally posted by craig deadenstereo:

Yeah I used to play a DSL 201 too, and I did like it. However, I play a 50W JMP now and it sounds far better. But to get that sound at a decent volume you need an attenuator.

201s use el84s. They do sound different to El34s, which i think sound better, and bigger somehow. Depends how much you care really.

did you try the DSL201 through a 4X12?

I'm sure your vintage single channel head and cab sounds far better than a modern mid-priced channel switching combo but that doesn't really further the discussion much.

I'm aware of the inherent differences in sound between EL84s and EL34s. What I'm saying is that other factors (cabinet size, speakers, colouration by an attenuator) may play a significant, perhaps even bigger role.

I'm not against attenuators by any means. But in my experience of them (including using a Weber Mass), there is still a limit to how much you can reduce volume and keep a decent tone.

I promise not to say any more on this. I hope you, Tav, make whatever choice is best for you.

yeah, i played it through a few other cabinets.

And at bedroom levels, maybe a wee valve amp would sound better.

The main use of an attenuator (in my opinion) is to get the power tube distortion at a gigging level.

If I don't have mine, i barely get over 1.5 on the master volume at a gig. I normally have the attenuator set at around 6 or 7 - it doesn't colour the sound much at that level.

I play thorugh a single vintage 30, so I can get a bit of speaker distortion too.

If I wanted a decent bedroom sound I'd get a v-amp or pod or something like that.

Craig

I have my Pandora for use with headphones/speakers if I am trying to be really quiet. Prob. going for a DSL 50 but thought it worth checking out the new Fender combos. Went to RnB's to see if they had any in stock and they didn't even know they exsisted so the chances of getting to hear one soon are quite slim.

I can quite happily use the DSL401 at a level that's suitable for use in the house. And it still sounds good. And just because you are playing a cranked valve amp for recording, doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to sound the nuts. Can't remember which one it was, but a quintecential grunge album was recorded with one of those 30 Marshall toy stacks - and it sounds ace.

The DSL401 is well loud enough to gig with. It's played Dr Drakes and was well loud enough, and I was able to almost max it out. Though a 4x12 as Redmeat says, it sounds massive, and that was with my strat with standard Tokai pickups.

Seriously Tav, if you want to see just how versitile and good sounding a low power combo is, I'll lend you mine the next time you are in Toms so you can wind it up, and hopefully save you some cash in the long run.