aberdeen-music

45 A-Side Records Debut Release + Launch Night

Sam 45

Aye, it's rather good. Only tune im nae overly keen on is the Miss Atlanta one.

Personal highlights are PVH, Haho, take a worm and archives. The tape is on pretty much whenever im in my car. :up:

At least somebody has bought it! Yus! Man, the Miss Atlanta tune is deadly! How can you not like it?

• 2 weeks later...

Is This Music? Review

The humble cassette is the most derided of formats. Sure, it doesnt sound as good as CD and certainly doesnt have the warm fuzz associated with vinyl but as objects go, its just so darn cute! This dinky cassette collects together some of Scotlands top underground (and unsigned) talent. Bringing to mind the cult US punk label SST (many of whose releases were cassette-only, fact fans), this album is an ambitious release. Extremely eclectic, avant metallers Take A Worm For A Walk Week shake hands with the Jeff Buckley-isms of Hijak Oscar. It would be useless to catalogue all the acts on here, given their varied genre and location, but its safe to say that most of these wont be household names in anyones home (except perhaps their own). A few favourites then: Juliet Kilos savage rock will tear the hair off your head, so stock up on wigs. Twin Atlantic sound like an indie band who have swapped Skins for River City, whilst This July look set to make this a summer to remember. A genuine curiosity, this may well become the best compilation of Scottish talent to be collected recently - the sort of thing the word seminal was coined for.

//Robin Murray

Get your tapes from One Up for a fiver. I'll also have some with me at the Xcerts gig. We also got a write up in The Fly this month which i will scan in later.

• 2 months later...
Twin Atlantic sound like an indie band who have swapped Skins for River CityQUOTE]

That's a shocking statement from that review!! Yes, very Scottish, but hardly.... 'indie' of the Skins variety!! Lol.

Are there still copies of this tape available?! Because I would very much like one. :up:

Twin Atlantic sound like an indie band who have swapped Skins for River CityQUOTE]

That's a shocking statement from that review!! Yes, very Scottish, but hardly.... 'indie' of the Skins variety!! Lol.

Are there still copies of this tape available?! Because I would very much like one. :up:

Haha i know, pretty bizarre. Yeah, copies in One Up. Local compilations section.

Haha i know, pretty bizarre. Yeah, copies in One Up. Local compilations section.

Cool. Will have to get one next time I venture into town... But playing it will be difficult since my CD player has gone to Glasgow... Might wait till I'm back in Glasgow and purchase from Avalanche instead!!

Cool. Will have to get one next time I venture into town... But playing it will be difficult since my CD player has gone to Glasgow... Might wait till I'm back in Glasgow and purchase from Avalanche instead!!

I think you'll have trouble playing the tape compilation in your CD player, no matter where you are.