aberdeen-music

Caan anybody recommend a usb midi keyboard

jamiesd

Loads of keyboards these days do midi over USB. I've got a 100 Casio job that does it. Can use it as a MIDI controller with my laptop and can also take songs and voices across from the laptop onto the keyboard.

It's rather large though, but I'm sure you can get smaller and much cheaper ones just to act as midi controllers.

soundslive.co.uk has a whole category for them:

USB Midi Controller Keyboards, the best deals on-line

It depends how much you are willing to spend and how much you are concerned about the feel of the board and the number of knobs and faders you want.

Personally. I like 9 faders for hammond emulation and a few knobs for synth emulation.

Novation are a realtively luxury brand for midi controllers and when I tried them out they seemed to be very well made, a nice keypad and display.

M-Audio do a range from cheap no-frils right through to stuff like the Axiom which has semi-weighted keys and a number of knobs faders and touch pads.

If I were you. I would aim to get one with 61 keys. 49 is the minimum in my opinion for most things but some people get away with less. I often wish I had 88 but then again, I am originally a piano player.

Korg also have a nice feel in their midi controllers these days.

I use a Evolution midi controller and the feel is actually pretty good. Not as good as my korg triton but better than the korg m1. I am not sure what the status iwth evolution is these days. I heard something about them getting bought over.

If you like piano. You could also look for the cheapest Roland or Yamaha digital piano and use it as a midi controller. You will generally need a seperate midi interface for this option however.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Since i'm on a budget and i have absolutely no experience and can't even play i bought a M-Audio Oxygen 8 v2 it's very small as i have limited space in the flat.

The guy in the work also offered me a Yamaha portasound pss-680. It's rather big i'm not sure whether to take it as well.

Does anybody have any tips for using garageband? I realy have no clue where to start.

Running version 2 but on the look out for version 3. Version 8 woul struggle to run on my g4 power pc.

I was thinking of getting the Garageband book for Dummies as a starter. Anyone got that? is it any good?

Thanks again

Jamiesd