aberdeen-music

Drilling a new strap lock hole

timson

Ok i've go the drill charging right now for tomorrow morning.

I'm drilling a new strap lock hole in my epiphone thunderbird bass so that its easier to play standing as its neck heavy and i plan to place it somewhere else so ite more evenly weighed. I'd like to drill into the back of the bass, but that means going through the metal plate and maybe hitting the rod.

I've seen pics of other basses and they drill into the side but I can't find a thin enough strap anywhere to do this :S

Where best should I drill

I'd imagine the only way to balance it out would be to move the strap button closest to the neck, further up the neck (not that you'd want to drill into your neck). I wouldn't bother.

i wouldnt be drilling anywhere

you should be able to screw it in no bother

???what just hold the screw onto the wood or metal and start screwing? wouldn't that be a bit time consuming?

I drilled a small hole through the metal plate in the back and then screwed the bolt in, it is a really firm hold and neck dive isn't an issue unless the bass is held horizontally.

The epiphones come with the strap bolt on the side just above the neck. I have now placed it where they are on the Gibson version at the back where the bolts hold the neck in place