aberdeen-music

Question about importing guitars

WoodyRATM

Sooo for somethin thats marked as $800 could cost me 80 quid? hmm i could live with that...

or does the cost not actually matter? or is it the size? so it'd be around 400?

Customs are pish :(

$4000 is around 2500 and 400 is about 18% of that (roughly).

An $800 bass won't be 400 in customs no way! Value dependant certainly!

:up:

Usually works out around 20%, 17.5 VAT, then some other duties and handling charges on top of that.

Some people will offer to mark it at a lower value, but you will only be able to insure it to the value that they mark it at, meaning if it gets damaged during transit, you're screwed.

what happens is they take the total marked* value of the product + the shipping and then add a percentage to this, depending on the type of thing you're shipping (you can call up customs and get a code for this which will tell you the percentage to add. they then take this new total and add 17.5% to it for VAT and you have your total

i.e. buying something at 100 with 50 shipping and 12% customs charge works like this:

i.e. 100 cost + 50 shipping = 150 *1.12(12% customs) =168 *1.175(VAT) = 197.40

hence you pay the 47.40 on import and VAT.

That 12% was based on a textile value for some american football gameshirts i'm importing shortly, so check to be sure what your value is.

* this is where you make the saving - get them to mark it as having a lower value but watch for postal insurance as it might not cover the full value if it's damaged.

/x

P.S. nice choice ;)

what happens is they take the total marked* value of the product + the shipping and then add a percentage to this, depending on the type of thing you're shipping (you can call up customs and get a code for this which will tell you the percentage to add. they then take this new total and add 17.5% to it for VAT and you have your total

i.e. buying something at 100 with 50 shipping and 12% customs charge works like this:

i.e. 100 cost + 50 shipping = 150 *1.12(12% customs) =168 *1.175(VAT) = 197.40

hence you pay the 47.40 on import and VAT.

That 12% was based on a textile value for some american football gameshirts i'm importing shortly, so check to be sure what your value is.

* this is where you make the saving - get them to mark it as having a lower value but watch for postal insurance as it might not cover the full value if it's damaged.

/x

P.S. nice choice ;)

hehe thanks.

I'm thinking of just paying 600 odd quid from Thomann. I've used them before and were good they also dont charge for shipping...unlike where i was gonna get it. It was gonna end up $198. So id only be saving about 100 quid at a push.

Peter Cook's seem to do it for the same price, you could possibly haggle with them as well.

Peter Cook's Guitar World - Fender Guitars, Strat, Tele, Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Cyclone, Jagstang

I have bought from them before and they are excellent.

Cheers, Based in UK i'm guessing?

edit: london woo.

have you any idea how much it'd cost for shipping?

• 1 month later...

Importing

Customs are strict now into England. If you do it all legit you will probably have to pay import duty. The best way is ask a friend to bring it back. Beware. Find out all you can from the shippers. I know someone who got one back and didnt have to pay. I think that is the exception. Good luck.