aberdeen-music

wanting to educate myself in music

Sweet-C

explore instead the real music of our generation

hahahahahahahaohchrist.

listen to as much music as possible to educate yourself. I recommend getting a last.fm/audioscrobbler account, as it gives recommendations based on what others with similar music tastes are listening to and puts it all on a radio station for you. I've found some great music that way.

Care to explain why this type of music should be considered the "real music of our generation"?

Are you really that fucking stupid that you need it explained to you that an underground, non-commercial grassroots scene like that, producing completely stylistically fresh and exploratory music which has evolved out of the underground music that grew up during the late 80's and matured through the 90's is really what can be called the new music of this generation?

Guest idol_wild
Are you really that fucking stupid that you need it explained to you that an underground, non-commercial grassroots scene like that, producing completely stylistically fresh and exploratory music which has evolved out of the underground music that grew up during the late 80's and matured through the 90's is really what can be called the new music of this generation?

The author of this thread might need it explained. Afterall, he wants educating.

Guest idol_wild

Anyway, as requested, some bands that I would recommend you start with:

Lift To Experience: shimmering space-rock from Denton, Texas. They have one album and it is immense.

Aarktica: ambient soundscapes, with a British 80s feel (think Coctea Twins - swirls of beautiful noises).

Cocteau Twins.

B. Fleischmann: lo-fi, elegiac electronics. One man. Lots of talent.

Built To Spill: another US band (Idaho, I think). A back catalogue of brilliantly crafted indie-rock songs.

The Twilight Sad: epic, driving, spacious rock from Glasgow(ish).

Explosions In The Sky: hailing from Texas, their latest album is almost the perfect guitar album.

If you search for each of these on myspace, you'll be able to hear a few songs from each.

Nobody is saying it isn't "new" my friend. I want to know why it is the "real music of our generation". The word "real" seems to me to imply that it has a degree of authenticity lacking in other music. That you speak of "our generation" seems to suggest "it is representative of the people or attitudes of the times, or some such thing. You say it is "stylistically fresh and exploratory" but it's difficult not to take this as merely being hyperbole indicative of your own subjective tastes as opposed to being genuinely ground breaking and relevant to this "generation", without any real evidence or coherent argument to back it up. And stop cursing so much you horrid horrid man!

Guest idol_wild
That's rather a grand statement! In what sense is it so?

I'm going to edit it slightly to put "in my opinion". Just to keep the pedants calm. *

But for me, the guitar interplay is fucking astonishing in three out of the six tracks. Genuinely, jaw-droppingly brilliant. I can't wait to see them live. The overall mix is brilliant, and it always amazes me how two guitars played simultaneously can make me feel. It gives me the same sense of well-being as some pieces of classical music.

* Okay, so it's too late to edit it.

Sweet-C, I dont know what you like but here are some things that I consider a bit different/worth checking out (you'll hear songs on myspace)...

Melt-Banana

Clutch

(the) Melvins

Devin Townsend

Hank III

Primus

I like a lot of Rock based music so these bands are rock orientated but I think they all offer something other than standard rock...