aberdeen-music

honest opinions required...

Frosty Jack

Would appreciate anyone taking the time to listen to this song -

it's a rough mix of our latest recording. Would be very helpful to hear your thoughts. We are just about to do the final tweaks, proper mix etc. What do you think - any suggestions?

It's the track called 'lights' on

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/frostyjackmusic.htm

Cheers, and be brutally honest...

I liked the loud/soft contrast in it, but would have preferred the vocals pushed up a bit during the louder bits.

Mind you I was only listening through tinny computer speakers, so I'd need to hear it properly.

(It might be nice to double-track the vocals, too, although my tastes are pretty old-fashioned).

The production is cool, though it isn't really my type of music. Something about the guitar tone im not liking, i just dont think the music is for me. For what it is though, it sounds pretty good and tight, and if your into that type of thing, im sure you'd enjoy it. The solo gives the song an anthem feel. I think the quiet section after the solo could sound much better if the guitar tone was changed. Use a more echoey effect, maybe it could have a sigur ros feel.

Pretty good, but i wouldn't listen to it. COuld be made better with more management on the guitar tone during the lighter sections

Guest Satyam Shivam Sundaram

I like the song, but I agree with The Sultan and The Cynic... I dont like the guitar sound and a bit of double tracking here and there on the vocals would maybe be a good idea.

lights - suvara

before i get into the nitty gritty, i really like this song! it was one of my favourites at the mefm gig and i'm damn glad you recorded it. however the mix at the moment is flat, flat, flat listening through headphones. i've suggested some things to try below, and they MIGHT NOT WORK, but it's worth a shot, eh? :D

the 2nd guitar (finger picking) is a bit low in the mix during the verses. panning it a bit further out and increasing the volume would help make it stand out a bit more. if this upsets the balance during the chorus, move the guitar back in at that point.

solo is great, but sounds thin at the moment. perhaps double track it, pitchshifting the duplicate track at -0.5% speed to make it sound thicker. keep the panning of these two tracks close together to avoid weird flangy effect.

i actually think the bass is too high in the mix. what you should do is kill all 50hz frequencies apart from those in the bass and vocal tracks, then it'll stand out much more and you won't have to boost everything else as much. it'll make the vocals stand out a bit more too, especially in the chorus where every bit of available space is filled.

think in the verses a little bit of echo on the main vocals would give the song more depth - it's a bit flat at the mo. i liked the sigor ros suggestion earlier in the thread... it might just work!

what happens to the bass during the quiet section towards the end of the track, after the solo? i think it needs a bit of bass here, even just fx-warped bass snippets, echoing off into the distance... you hearing what is in my head here?...

I quite liked it. Kinda reminds me on something the mainc street preachers would do. And I agree it has got a sort of epic/ anthemic sort of feel t it. It probably goes to more extremes than the manics would- the quiet bit is a bit quieter and the loud heavy bit is probably more heavy than they'd do. Whether that's a good thing or not is open for debate. I'd agree that the guitar after the solo isn't that good. Not the playing, just the sound. The notes need a lot more sustain there.....maybe switch to the neck pick up for a fatter tone. What kind of guitar are you using?

I also like the drumming on it. It as hard to say how good the bass was as I've got those tinny computer speakers. Vocals were good- prettty distinctive- and high! Some backing vocals would nake it sound even more anthemic- plus a bit more reverb.