aberdeen-music

New Rilo Kiley Album In August

Swingin' Ryan

As soon as I heard the album I knew it would end up with a lot of people being disappointed, but I really love it. It's a very, very brave album to make when you come from the kind of indie background that Rilo Kiley come from.

I absolutely love Rilo Kiley so I listened to the album wanting to love it and being very afraid of being hugely disappointed, and phrases like "sounds like the Bee Gees" and "Disco" didn't help. It's all done very tastefully though and it's kind of Rilo Kiley with lots of soul and Motown influences thrown in.

There's a few moments where the album doesn't really connect with me, mainly the closing track. There are some absolutely great moments though, the first two tracks are an amazing opening salvo to kick off any album, and 'Smoke Detector' was written to be played on a Tuesday night in Exodus.

It's still not as good as More Adventurous or The Execution Of All Things, but when you've written two albums as great as those, very little is going to match it.

Makes you wonder why they bothered don't it?

No, just because it's going to be hard for them to better those albums, it doesn't mean they should just give up. I think they've got a long career ahead of them, this album is just them doing something a bit different. I don't expect the sound of this album to become much of a 'signature sound' for them.

No, just because it's going to be hard for them to better those albums, it doesn't mean they should just give up. I think they've got a long career ahead of them, this album is just them doing something a bit different. I don't expect the sound of this album to become much of a 'signature sound' for them.

Well they sound as though they have given up. Fuck your audience around by releasing a fleetwood mac fronted by sheryl crow west coast tuesday night club crowd album and a long career you don't have.

Was there some sort of bet concerning the track smoke detector ? I mean come on man lyrically fookin hell.

You just mentioned two massively successful artists who managed to evolve successfully while building their reputation and their audience. Fleetwood Mac were a bunch of greasy potheads playing twelve bar blues when they started off, then they changed to incorporate the genius of Peter Green more fully, then they changed again to accomodate the styles of Mcvie, Buckingham and Nicks. Same with Sheryl Crow, she started off playing traditional country in dives until she found her voice and became more and more successful as she progressed. I really hope Rilo Kiley get mentioned alongside these guys in years to come because they have masses of talent and they deserve to be heard by a much wider audience.

Bands change, people change. If they lose some of their audience while pursuing their artistic vision, and gain new fans at the same time, they should be applauded, not scorned.

Of course, there are still people who don't listen to anything by Fleetwood Mac after 1968. Reports suggest that they are unconcerned by this...

Good points , Still Fleetwood Mac did alienate their audience several times. Unlike Rilo they did it by producing a good album and a set of songs. Crow is just radio FM let us not kid ourselves that she evolved or has made any impact cept for the odd semi inducing videos. If Rilo lose their present audience where is the new one coming from? They are a cult act at the best of times.

I agree they should be allowed to evolve and change styles. What i object to is the gilding of the lily from the critics and the faithful stammering that actually they like a couple of songs. I am yet to read anyone who thinks this a good album (bar the critics) Hell you couldn't even say it while defending them.

It ain't the change of direction that rankles. It is just a very poor album by anybody's standards.