aberdeen-music

battle of the bands last night

Double Jack: Flawless, a treat to watch every time

AKA the fox: Not really my thing but were certainly entertaining and had a good frontman

Strobing Goat: Heavy as a very heavy thing!!! really good.

Double Jack should have won I think, but the crowd that AKA... brought in was overwhelming and I knew they would win.

Double Jack should also get extra points for Del the drummer kicking some Moby look-alikes ass during Strobing Goat. and for having a classic convo with me about blaze in the toilet...highlight of the night

Best Band Won

I'm glad the fox won. Their music is highly original, their bass player is fantastic, and they DO indeed have a great frontman.

When their CD comes on our jukebox someone almost always asks "Flash - who is this playing?", not even realising that it's a local band. In fact we even had a couple of name people in the music business ask that question - and yes I passed on the details.

But best of all they are a lovely bunch and a joy to work with.

Double Jack - boring boring boring

aka the fox: So fucking shit hot, dear god they were insanely good

Strobing goat: Painful to watch, not really my thing, I saw them at the moorings last week, I left during their set and returned at the end.

Guest Bob Double Jack
Originally posted by Lester Burnham:

Bit harsh I think. The best band on the night won though. I was very impressed with them, although they aren't really my cup of tea. Much as we aren't everyones either. Well done to AKA The Fox.

Originally posted by Bob Double Jack:

Bit harsh I think. The best band on the night won though. I was very impressed with them, although they aren't really my cup of tea. Much as we aren't everyones either. Well done to AKA The Fox.

Alright, just I haven't enjoyed any of your sets... I'm not saying you're bad musicians, but I just haven't found you interesting... maybe it's just the set I saw, I dunno.

All the best though. :up:

Originally posted by Lester Burnham:

A bit rich coming from someone who plays in the Real Shocks.

Anyway as my old Granny used to say - "If everyone had the same tastes they'd all have married your Grandpa"

Thought all three bands were excellant on the night. As is usually the case with these things the band who brought the best 'rent-a-crowd' won. I believe the band go on to take part in a Grand Final later in the year so the the bar owner obviously looked after his interests by awarding the result to the band with the biggest following on the night, (not trying to take anything away from aka the fox), thus ensuring another good return at a future date.

It's all about selling beer at the end of the day.

Strobing Goat's are definately worth a watch

Originally posted by Tina:

Flash, thanks for your support, where were you on monday night though, i thought you were coming down?.

Tina - have you ever seen me anywhere but the Moorings?

Seriously though we were up partying with Breed 77, 209, and E106 till well into Monday morning, so I was soundo by 8pm. I'm surprised Frankie made it he was rubber at 6am. Fell over twice, couldn't even recognise his own home...

So seeing as I missed it, how about a triumphant homecoming on Sunday night???

I'll even buy you guys a round... You deserve it!

Originally posted by Team Monkey:

Thought all three bands were excellant on the night. As is usually the case with these things the band who brought the best 'rent-a-crowd' won. I believe the band go on to take part in a Grand Final later in the year so the the bar owner obviously looked after his interests by awarding the result to the band with the biggest following on the night, (not trying to take anything away from aka the fox), thus ensuring another good return at a future date.

i can assure you it doesn't work like that at drummonds, three judges score the bands and the results are totalled up. believe me in the heats we've had a few bands who didn't pull a massive crowd winning.

Originally posted by delboy

i can assure you it doesn't work like that at drummonds, three judges score the bands and the results are totalled up. believe me in the heats we've had a few bands who didn't pull a massive crowd winning.

Fair enough - I take it all the judges were independent and not linked to the bar then?

the project is still 'resting' though i did half write a couple of new songs last year!

i did put a compilation together of instrumental stuff which ian simpson is a fan of, could do you a copy of that if you wanted, 70 minutes of stuff recorded on me four track between 1995 and 1999.

Guest Satyam Shivam Sundaram
Originally posted by delboy:

the project is still 'resting' though i did half write a couple of new songs last year!

i did put a compilation together of instrumental stuff which ian simpson is a fan of, could do you a copy of that if you wanted, 70 minutes of stuff recorded on me four track between 1995 and 1999.

The thoughts of Del in sonic form, yeah I'd like a copy please!