aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Music Book Club

Spoonie

I[m guessing by this point that I may be the only one bothering with this now but i've started so i'll finish! in among quite a few other books over the past wee while, i'l completed all but one which i had somehow missed out and have just ordered. will give a full roundup when i've done, including a contraversial 1-10 where i make personal insults about the people who recommended the shit books and offer sexual favours to those who opened my eyes to works of literary genius!

/x

I've worked my way through about half of them. I'd taken some pointers from the thread and not just the official list of 10 or so books. I'd forgotten that most of you here are young and hedonistic and not old and jaded like me, so who ever suggested Poppy Z Brite books ...well....its like Jackie Collins for the alternative underground.

So Spoonie, give your thoughts and I'll grade the ones I've read as of now.

The Book of Lights - Brilliant 8/10

Life of Pi - Brilliant 9/10

I, Lucifer - yeah, OK, 6/10

Dispatches - worth a read 6/10

Notes from a Big Country - funny 7/10

Stranger in a strange land - heavy going, but worth it 6/10

An Equal Music - Alright 6/10

and outside the list

The Great Sheep Chase - Brilliant 9/10

Some shite by Poppy Z Brite Drawing blood or something - shite 4/10

Over all I was impressed by most of the suggestions.

Pete

inthehills

• 2 weeks later...

The 12, in reverse order:

12. The Book Of Lights - Chaim Potok: I was just waiting and waiting for the fucking story to start. Honestly, the guy had some lovely descriptive stuff but the main character was weedy and unlikeable and the story never got going. poor show.

11. I, Lucifer - Glen Duncan: This had massive potential and was a good idea but it did my box in. it jumed about a lot and wasted a good opportunity.

10. Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A. Heinlein: i actually really enjoyed this, but i read the full original version and it went on forever. didn't like the ending either.

9. Marching Powder - Rusty Young: Good book and an easy read.

8. Dispatches - Michael Herr: This was my suggestion so mid table is appropriate!

7. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - Dave Eggers: I thought this was excellent. seemed like it could have gone on forever and must have been tough to write but i really got into it and teh descriptions of him and Toph playing frisbee had me in bits!

5th equal. American Tabloid and The Cold Six Thousand - James Ellroy: Fucking excellent and was really glad i got introduced to his work. really top class stuff and written the way i would write (except of course, infinitely better!) with all the padding removed.

4. We Need To Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver: Good book and great idea. The mother was extremely unlikeable which made it harder to take.

3. Notes from a Big Country - Bill Bryson: Really excellent. the comment "my father was morally against anything that cost more then thirty dollars" had me laughing out loud on the bus. I fully intend to read more Bryson stuff.

2. An Equal Music - Vikram Seth: This blew me away. Such a heartbreaking story in a few different ways and as much as he was a bit of a cunt, I really felt for the main charater. Ace read.

1. Life of Pi - Yann Martel: I've not read anything as good as this since i first picked up Jurassic Park. top stuff.

In other news, when I said I had one more book to buy a wee while back, it turned out i'd already bought it and forgotten. aah well, 2 copies of the same book may be handy one day!

cheers for all the recommendations guys. thoroughly good idea.

/x

good list Spoonie, Bill Bryson's books are always funny. He's done notes from a small Island which is about the UK and the other good one is a short history of nearly everything which is also ace.

you should also check out anything by Haruki Murakami. From the vibes I'm getting Norwegian wood by said author might rival Life of Pi.

Pete

inthehills