aberdeen-music

poor old cliff richard...

delboy

I can forsee the day where bands that record music in cakewalk sonar will have to pay money to cakewalk when they sell records and writers who typed their novels in a certain type of software will no longer own copyright to their novels.

t.

Are you being serious? Cause that is one of the most rediculous things i've ever heard. Thats like suggesting that someone who records music using a Stratocaster will have to royalties to fender.

Are you being serious? Cause that is one of the most rediculous things i've ever heard. Thats like suggesting that someone who records music using a Stratocaster will have to royalties to fender.

It's not that silly an idea. Many MP3 sites (inc Myspace I think) put clauses in their terms and conditions that allow them to use any files placed on their service for any purpose they want without giving you a penny. Is it that big a leap to see software companies in the future embedding digital watermarks into audio files that lets them track it's subsequent use and claim royalties through the T&Cs of their software license?

not being the musical lothario that cliff is, my opinion may not be as strongly as accepted as his... but, if all he is aiming for is a number on to get his record of each decade, then perhaps releasing yet another single the week before christmas isn't the best idea in the world.

if he just wants a number one then why doesn't he just release any odd dross a week when the charts are dead i.e. like february. Just have a look at the release schedule, pick a week where mcfly, westlife, take that or indeed "generic faceless dance act of the week" don't have anything out, and ta-dah there you go cliff.

a good idea in theory but if you look at cliff's recent chart history the only time he ever gets near to the number one slot is during christmas. checking everyhit.com (yes i have bugger all better to do!) the last time cliff had a non xmas number one was the charidee version of 'living doll' with the young ones in 1986! discounting that you have to go as far back as 1979 for his last solo non xmas number one - we dont talk anymore which hit top spot in july of that year.

coat got :up:

a good idea in theory but if you look at cliff's recent chart history the only time he ever gets near to the number one slot is during christmas. checking everyhit.com (yes i have bugger all better to do!) the last time cliff had a non xmas number one was the charidee version of 'living doll' with the young ones in 1986! discounting that you have to go as far back as 1979 for his last solo non xmas number one - we dont talk anymore which hit top spot in july of that year.

coat got :up:

if he re-released mistletoe and wine next february it'd go to number one.

i'd bet my soul on it.

Just listen to the extreme copyright lobby. Yes, it is quite ridiculous.

It seemed to be heading towards a system where it would be hard to own work, written on computers, using other people's software. note: my understanding of this situation is not that great but i am aware of some basic information. I am sure there will be someone else more clued up about computer copyright than me.

I believe software patents were heavily lobbied for in the US then the EU and UK parliaments. I don't know what the outcome was.