aberdeen-music

Book Club - I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan *spoilers inside*

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

well, I've finished it. It only took me 2 days which is a good sign.

What can I say? its a good read.

I was a bit disappointed at first by the ending, but then I wondered what was a good ending to such a book and when I trawled through the possibilities I decided that the ending was fine as it is.

As a character I thought that Lucifer had far too much empathy and would the devil really have been so nice to Penny? Or given a shite about Violet?

I enjoyed it.

Pete

inthehills

As a character I thought that Lucifer had far too much empathy and would the devil really have been so nice to Penny? Or given a shite about Violet?

i think those moments were there to show the devil becoming more human as a consequence of what he'd been through as a human and were probably necessary.

i enjoyed the book too, although the way it was written did annoy me a lot at times. it was duncans habit of writing something (then putting something else in brackets and not only going off at a tangent but going on and on and on and stringing things out) then coming back, by which point i'd forgotten what he was on about in the first place! that could just be my poor attention span tho.

/x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

although the way it was written did annoy me a lot at times. it was duncans habit of writing something (then putting something else in brackets and not only going off at a tangent but going on and on and on and stringing things out) then coming back, by which point i'd forgotten what he was on about in the first place!

Exactly why I didn't even finish the thing when I read it a while back. Found it very hard to get into because of that. I guess he was trying to convey the thought processes of Lucifer by using that writing style but it still put me off.

Anyway, this thread is now unstickied to make way for the next one. But for latecomers feel free to still comment on the book if you so wish.