aberdeen-music

John Gillan Weekender part 1 - Beautiful Cosmos: The Words And Music Of Ivor Cutler

Jamie

Interesting Music and The Lemon Tree present

a multitude of artists, come together to pay homage to one of

Scotlands greatest ever creative talents in song and spoken word

and to celebrate his birthday (15th January). A familiar and

unforgettable voice on BBC TV and radio since the late 1950s, Ivor

recorded more John Peel sessions than any other act except The

Fall, and was cast by fans Lennon and McCartney as the busdriver

Buster Bloodvessel in Magical Mystery Tour.

The evening will also be an ideal introduction to those unfamiliar with

the great mans idiosyncratic style.

www.ivorcutler.org

This year, weve decided to extend our usual fun-filled tribute event in memory of former Lemon Tree DJ and opinionated scenester John Gillan to two very different though strongly connected nights. We celebrate three iconic artists who passed away in 2006 - Ivor Cutler, Arthur Lee and Syd Barrett - all favourites of Johns and who embodied his love of eccentric and highly individual artists. John was instrumental in bringing Ivor Cutler to Aberdeen for two unforgettable performances in the mid 90s as part of the Alternative Festival while Arthur Lee played twice to a rapturous reception at The Lemon Tree in recent years. Like John, Ivor, Arthur and Syd will be sadly missed.

All ticket income from John Gillan Weekender shows

goes directly to Roxburghe House hospice where John

was cared for towards the end of his life

What about little old me?????

My humble apologies Alan - there's an awful lot to fit in with this gig though - even the title's a hell of a mouthful - we've had to make the tickets the size of one of those huge cheques that pools winners get.

Looks like a cracking night though.

It'll be a great evening....a lot of my favourite folk are playing!!!!! It might even be my favourite line-up at an Aberdeen gig.

D'you think we can persuade Mike to do his 'Willow' from the Wicker Man routine at some point???

I'd love to see that - Isobel Campbell did it when she played here earlier this year, but I'm sure Mike's would be much sexier - phwoar!

• 1 month later...

updated line-up

ALASDAIR ROBERTS / THE HOLY FOLKS / JOHN CAVANAGH / TOM MORTON / ADRIAN CROWLEY / KITCHEN CYNICS / KATHRYN SAWERS / KING CREOSOTE / MICHAEL MARRA / BORN AGAIN CRETIN / PETE McCONVILLE / CAROLINE KEMP / DOUGLAS JOHN McLEAN CAIRNS / THE PICTISH TRAIL / JO FOSTER / DOOGIE PAUL / MC QUAKE / BOMB CIRCLE / DUGLAS STEWART.......

updated line-up

ALASDAIR ROBERTS / THE HOLY FOLKS / JOHN CAVANAGH / TOM MORTON / ADRIAN CROWLEY / KITCHEN CYNICS / KATHRYN SAWERS / KING CREOSOTE / MICHAEL MARRA / BORN AGAIN CRETIN / PETE McCONVILLE / CAROLINE KEMP / DOUGLAS JOHN McLEAN CAIRNS / THE PICTISH TRAIL / JO FOSTER / DOOGIE PAUL / MC QUAKE / BOMB CIRCLE / DUGLAS STEWART.......

quality line-up

would that be Douglas T Stewart (BMX Bandits)...........

I am trying to guess how many Fence related folks are listed.......

:up: :up:

I'm sorry I'll be missing this (have to go to my mum's birthday do down south instead!) but it looks really good. I was lucky enough to see the great man himself while he was still around. I trust that noise levels will be kept respectfully low, in keeping with Ivor's enthusiasm for the Noise Abatement Society?

I think the line-up is amazing....Michael Marra, King Creosote, Alasdair Roberts and Adrian Crowley all on one bill....plus a heap more from the Fence Collective etc etc and locally there's Aberdeen's best singer/songwriter(Kathryn Sawers) the best local anti-folk (Holy Folks). There'll be spoken-word, guitar based versions, harmonium bothering, piano playing, plus some beats (MC Quake and Bomb Circle) too!!!