aberdeen-music

[GIG] Ska Sunday @ The Tunnels

From punktastic.com...

"Aberdeen's The Upstars look as though they've wrestled the tag of 'hardest working band' away from anyone else who wishes to lay claim to it. A quick shufty at their myspace page shows they're touring for the whole of June, July and August, which will surely see them become better known than they are now.

Mixing a skate-punk vibe with a cornet, it's difficult to pin the band down to a particular sound and that's a good thing. The Upstarts are tight, the songs are well sructured and everything is above average. 'Conditioned+Confused' actually reminds me of Guttermouth with brass, although that wouldn't be a fair reflection of the band on the whole. Plus they're better than Guttermouth. The short of it is, this band are worth your attention - with a few hooks and a tight sound, they may start making a name for themselves sooner rather than later...

www.myspace.com/theeupstarts"

the zine is almost finished now. it will include interviews with adequate 7, strike anywhere and rentokill, book/cd/live/film reviews, some attempts at what might be regular features (one of which is called 'Have i got Muse for you' , however kirk may veto this as i think he told me he was a muse fan), also a feature on critical mass, an upstarts tour diary, some kind of wrestling thing (get writing kirk u bitch - some people have no respect for deadlines!), and a few other bits and pieces (including a recipe for making a ska cake!!)

after seeing king blues the other night i wish i'd made it a bit more political but nevermind, hopefully next time.

From punktastic.com...

"Aberdeen's The Upstars look as though they've wrestled the tag of 'hardest working band' away from anyone else who wishes to lay claim to it. A quick shufty at their myspace page shows they're touring for the whole of June, July and August, which will surely see them become better known than they are now.

Mixing a skate-punk vibe with a cornet, it's difficult to pin the band down to a particular sound and that's a good thing. The Upstarts are tight, the songs are well sructured and everything is above average. 'Conditioned+Confused' actually reminds me of Guttermouth with brass, although that wouldn't be a fair reflection of the band on the whole. Plus they're better than Guttermouth. The short of it is, this band are worth your attention - with a few hooks and a tight sound, they may start making a name for themselves sooner rather than later...

www.myspace.com/theeupstarts"

Guttermouth!? Punktastic really don't have a clue do they?

Hahah, no..we didnt even know it was there, think it was actually someone from adequate seven that told us?

Anyway, enough of your wrestling banter, I can't wait for this gig, it's been too long, maltmans still in his cast but he's just too punk rock for his own good, i want him to do a cast solo..Please check out the bands if you havent already and come on down, member ule get a free cd and zine! And if your feeling flush you can get kirk and me a drink for our 21st's! :girl: