aberdeen-music

Good TV Series/Mini Series

Diesel

Guys,

I see a few threads on here about "Prison Break" and several other US TV series and I'm wondering if you guys could recommend a few that are worth watching.

Currently, the telly in general is utter minge and as our lifestyles are a bit hectic at the moment, it's difficult for my wife and me to commit to any of the series on telly.

So, what we've been doing is buying box-sets of these programmes that we can watch at our leisure.

So far we've seen...

• Soparanos (series 1-6) - simply the best thing ever to grace the telly.
  • Six Feet Under (series 1-5) - off the wall and absolutely fabulous
  • The Shield (1-4) - excellent, fast moving and good stories apart from some ridiculous resolutions to the predicaments that the Strike Team get into

I started watching (on the telly)...

• Lost - which was exactly what happened to my interest after three episodes of stereotyping
  • The 4400 - exactly the number of episodes you have to watch before it gets anywhere
  • The Invaders - total gash

Apart from the above, fit like are "Prison Break", "The Wire", "CSI", "Arrested Development" and any others that I never get the chance to see ?

I'd appreciate any input/reviews from you folks.

Ta

The only telly I watch really is Lost & Prison break which my mate keith kindly downloads from t'interweb for me. I agree that lost, although addictive, can get a little bit dull, they try too hard to make it so you don't have a scooby whats going on! PB though, is fantastic! I'd recommend it to anybody........I frequently have to pause the comp, and go make masel a cuppa to calm down because it's just so exciting :D

Prison break is awesome. I can sell you a sealed box set of season 1 if you want. It's region 1 though. It's well worth watching and very addictive, season 2 is great so far too.

Arrested Development is pretty funny, and you can pick up all 3 series for around a tenner each.

Another one worth watching is Entourage. Season 1 has just finished here in the uk, Season 2 is about to start next Sunday. Again, you can pick up the box sets on R1 for about £15.

The only telly I watch really is Lost & Prison break which my mate keith kindly downloads from t'interweb for me. I agree that lost, although addictive, can get a little bit dull, they try too hard to make it so you don't have a scooby whats going on! PB though, is fantastic! I'd recommend it to anybody........I frequently have to pause the comp, and go make masel a cuppa to calm down because it's just so exciting :D

Thanks for that, I'll give PB a whirl then !!!

Prison break is awesome. I can sell you a sealed box set of season 1 if you want. It's region 1 though. It's well worth watching and very addictive, season 2 is great so far too.

Sadly, my main "watching" DVD player is a fussy, unchipped Sony, so it's R2 only :down: and I'm too lazy to run the conversion software (guess all those years cracking, copying and selling ST & Amiga games at the Glasgow Barras was too much for me)

So far we've seen...

• Soparanos (series 1-6) - simply the best thing ever to grace the telly.
  • Six Feet Under (series 1-5) - off the wall and absolutely fabulous
  • The Shield (1-4) - excellent, fast moving and good stories apart from some ridiculous resolutions to the predicaments that the Strike Team get into

I'm a huge fan of The Shield and would like to know where you got your hauns on Series 3 & 4. I've been trying to tarck them down for some time to no avail. That would make my collection complete (until the DVD release of Season 5 obviously).

Guest DustyDeviada
I'm a huge fan of The Shield and would like to know where you got your hauns on Series 3 & 4. I've been trying to tarck them down for some time to no avail. That would make my collection complete (until the DVD release of Season 5 obviously).

You can buy slightly dodgy versions on ebay, otherwise you can buy the official R1 releases from the states.

As for other recomendations, Alias is pretty good, so is 24, I haven't watched The Wire but it's supposed to be brilliant. Also Deadwood, magic. Most of the HBO stuff is worth seeing. In fact that reminds me... Oz! Just brilliant, but you can't get it on R2. Although considering you can get multi region DVD players for less than the cost of any of these box sets, it's something of a moot point. ;)

You can buy slightly dodgy versions on ebay, otherwise you can buy the official R1 releases from the states.

As for other recomendations, Alias is pretty good, so is 24, I haven't watched The Wire but it's supposed to be brilliant. Also Deadwood, magic. Most of the HBO stuff is worth seeing. In fact that reminds me... Oz! Just brilliant, but you can't get it on R2. Although considering you can get multi region DVD players for less than the cost of any of these box sets, it's something of a moot point. ;)

Although I own a multi-region player I only possess the 1 R1 DVD.

I don't facy buying anything on E-bay but might investigate getting the official R1 releases of Series 3 & 4 from the US.

I keep on getting The Wire recommended to me and will get it for my collection one of these days.

But Oz! :up: How spectacular was that?! And Deadwood! Ian McShane plays a real good part in that series. Is it true it's getting its run shortened?

I got my sweaties on Seasons 3&4 via t'interweb. They're clearly hooky copies and the vendor is "no longer registered with eBay".

I'd be happy to ..ahem.. "back them up" for you.

Guest onlynik
I know i do.

The quality is normally a lot better.

Also, it's illegal to download it.

;)

No its not, you can legally download most of the CBS stuff once is been broadcast, from Google or tv.com.

I watched the new series of Battlestar Gallactica streamed from the Sci Fi website.

THings to watch

Weeds

My Name is Earl

Drawn Together

Ok so they are all comedies, but they are good.

Guest bluesxman

I enjoyed Firefly, the show that spawned the Serenity film last year. Kind of a cross between a science fiction movie and a western! It was cancelled before the series was complete so the show itself has no real resolution but some of the loose ends were nicely tied up by the movie so it's worth getting hold of both. The series can normally be found at around 17 and the film is now going for about a fiver in some places.

Yes I agree about Alias, though not enjoying the 4th and 5th seasons as much (my gf being a huge fan just bought the Rambaldi box shaped set with all 5 series which hasnt aerrived yet but looks pretty...

Other things I like are NCIS, Smallville, the new Battlestar, loads in fact...

Cheers

Stuart