aberdeen-music

short sighted unite! (help)

ZeromiserY

hey folks, i was going to type this in large bold print but that'd just be taking the piss.

i have recently found out that i am doomed to join the hundreds of thousands of short sighted in scotland. i was wondering if anyone knew a good place to get a decent pair of goggles?

of course i've tried spec 'savuls' and the like but nothing stands out. anything that would suit the miserY?

cheers for reading

It's like most things which are going to affect your appearance to be honest. Just go around the shops and try on loads of pairs until you find ones you like.

I've used Duncan and Todd for years but their selection isn't as large as the bigger shops, like Specsavers, but they make up for it with good service (to me anyway, no doubt someone will now post about how shit their service is).

It's like most things which are going to affect your appearance to be honest. Just go around the shops and try on loads of pairs until you find ones you like.

I've used Duncan and Todd for years but their selection isn't as large as the bigger shops, like Specsavers, but they make up for it with good service (to me anyway, no doubt someone will now post about how shit their service is).

i agree. duncan and todd(both belmont street and stonehaven branches) have excellent service and although their selection is limited they do stock some nice glasses.

is D & T expensive?

specsavers have got 2-4-1 on 75-125 glasses.

is that good? im new to this ?(

the important thing to remember is that no matter the deal on the frames you still need to pay for the lenses. these are usually around 60(i think, never really paying much attention) and depend on the type of frame you get. most opticians have promotions on frames such as the ubiquitous summer buy a pair of glasses and get a pair of prescription sunglasses free promotion.

duncan and todd has some cheap frames and some designer frames and is no more expensive than other places i think, depends on what frames you want. i opted for my first ever pair of designer frames recently after always buying the cheapest in the shop and i'm loving them. feels justified as well because i get more use out of them than anything else i own seeing as i'm blind as a bat without glasses.

the important thing to remember is that no matter the deal on the frames you still need to pay for the lenses. these are usually around 60(i think, never really paying much attention) and depend on the type of frame you get.

i dont think this is the case at specsavers. the only add on would be for anti glare/anti scratch/anti whatever coatings. 125 is the most expensive glasses they have (or was when i was there last) and they're all designer. so the bogof is a pretty good deal...

i dont think this is the case at specsavers. the only add on would be for anti glare/anti scratch/anti whatever coatings. 125 is the most expensive glasses they have (or was when i was there last) and they're all designer. so the bogof is a pretty good deal...

you sure? heh, you're right to an extent. i just checked their website and all their glasses are priced to include standard single vision lenses. if you need any slightly different ones then it costs extra. so yea, specsavers is quite a good deal.

Guest bluesxman

If you want to have the lenses as thin as possible and get nice anti-glare coating (worth the extra, believe me), then you are looking at more expense for the lenses, which all yer spec saver type deals won't cover. So you may get 2 for the price of 1 frame wise but the expense of lenses for both will likely negate any savings. I've never found much difference quality wise between designer or cheap as chips, I've just chosen something I've liked. Most of my specs have been 200 - 250 squid but I haven't bough new ones for a few years. I've used The Spectacle Co. in Stonehaven for the past 6 years, nice staff, never had a problem.

Guest DustyDeviada

The optician at Duncan & Todd was the bass player with Mojo Pep, something I discovered when I walked in for an eye test carrying my bass.

Personally I don't bother with the anti scratch/glare coating stuff and I've had the same pair of specs for 5 years or something.

you sure? heh, you're right to an extent. i just checked their website and all their glasses are priced to include standard single vision lenses. if you need any slightly different ones then it costs extra. so yea, specsavers is quite a good deal.

i'm not too sure on which lenses cost more, i've got astigmatism in both eyes and am blind as anything and i've never had to pay extra for lenses. i thought that was only for the coatings.

I got my specs from Frame Up in the Trinity Centre.

I only went there as I could pay them up interest free. They do require a minimu 30% deposit though.

Up to yourslef if you want anti-scratch and anti-glare coatings. I tend to find these coatings a magnet for fingerprints and shite.

i got a shot of an anti glare coated lense to look through once and i honestly couldnt tell the difference. never tried anti scratch cause generally i take fairly good care of my glasses, mine are a bit scratched justnow but only lightly, cant tell unless i take them off and hold them up to the light.

Shop around throughly & don't assume the discount names are always the cheapest. Especially if your prescription is anything out of the ordinary.

For my current pair of specs & lenses, the prices ranged from around £200 ay Gibsons opposite HMT to £560 from Specsavers - Same frames, lenses but Specsavers could only do one of the two coatings I prefer. The rest of about half a dozen firms were in-between.

Guest bluesxman
Laser eye surgery is the way to go. I can now see perfectly after being so short sighted I couldn't read the big A on the eye test chart.

You're just a traitor to the speccy cause

Guest Jake Wifebeater
i have recently found out that i am doomed to join the hundreds of thousands of short sighted in scotland. i was wondering if anyone knew a good place to get a decent pair of goggles?

of course i've tried spec 'savuls' and the like but nothing stands out. anything that would suit the miserY?

I've had to wear bins for 23 years now, and I've stuck with the same folk all the way. Try Corry and Christie on George Street, used to be Eddie and Drummond.

Once you get them, brace yourself, you'll be a magnet for the ladies. Have fun.

so, i finally gave up hope and went for these little beasts. HORRIBLE:

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/cgi-bin/strudwick.sh/s?langid=1&pfmt=1&siteid=39&pname=frames/designer_detail.html&material=osiris&range=designer&price=&page=1&prodid=1000902#

in dark green for the office and :

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/cgi-bin/strudwick.sh/s?langid=1&pfmt=1&siteid=39&pname=frames/designer_detail.html&material=osiris&range=designer&price=&page=4&prodid=1002109

them in red and gun metal rather than the despicably camp ones in the photo. come to think of it, they dont look like that at all! they are kind of spiky.

thanks for all the posts and comments. usual story though, spend ages looking and go back to the 1st place you try.

:up:

Guest DustyDeviada
I'd like to wait 20 years and see what the long term effects of laser surgery is before I'd consider it.

To be fair, my boss had it done almost 20 years ago and he has had no problems. That said, he is starting to go short-sighted again, just through age I guess.

In any case I don't fancy risking blindness just for the sake of vanity. Contacts aren't too much of a hassle.