aberdeen-music

Hi Wattage Amps/Heads

Yeah, I thought you'd need a cab sim too. But the reviewer on legendarytones.com figured the DI section was sounded pretty cool. It's got it's own volume and 3 way tone controls. I did put an Celestion Vintage speaker in it though - I imagine that sounds nicer. I might have a fiddle with it in the warehouse when I get my PA set up again.

What did sound was cool was sending the effected signal of my dd-3 delay to the PA and running the clean singnal back to the amp. Spacey.

I can't wait for the day when I own a van so I can take My Marshall Stack, a Vox AC-30 and a 5150 to gigs, and run a crazy three amp setup. Get it set up for stereo and everything. While I'm at it, i'll get a crossover and run it onto an SVT. Bet that would sound immense, and would really freak out a sound engineer.

or maybe I'll buy a POD.

Craig

Originally posted by craig deadenstereo:

Yeah, I thought you'd need a cab sim too. But the reviewer on legendarytones.com figured the DI section was sounded pretty cool. It's got it's own volume and 3 way tone controls. I did put an Celestion Vintage speaker in it though - I imagine that sounds nicer. I might have a fiddle with it in the warehouse when I get my PA set up again.

What did sound was cool was sending the effected signal of my dd-3 delay to the PA and running the clean singnal back to the amp. Spacey.

I can't wait for the day when I own a van so I can take My Marshall Stack, a Vox AC-30 and a 5150 to gigs, and run a crazy three amp setup. Get it set up for stereo and everything. While I'm at it, i'll get a crossover and run it onto an SVT. Bet that would sound immense, and would really freak out a sound engineer.

or maybe I'll buy a POD.

Craig

Try the DDL thing with your three amps, stick the wet through one of the heads and use the AC30 and the other head for dry. Lightly pan the two dry signals and put the DDL right up the middle. That should sound pretty good I reckon.

You'd better be extra nice to engineers if you want them to be arsed doing all that though.

Don't bother with the SVT idea, it sounds like a muddy guitar when you play guitar through it. What that gains anyone I still haven't figured out. Why do you want to hog all the frequencies anyway, are the rest of your band shit?

Originally posted by craig deadenstereo:

is that the univalve? That's a THD amp that lets you put any kind of tube you want in it. Apparently it sounds the business. Looks pretty good too. Supposedly doesn't have the headroom for a rock gig though. Which is why tehy made the bi-valve and the Flexi head.

Mollusc rock anyone?

Fuck me - that word doesn't look right.

Craig

nanohead.jpg

This is the one I'm on about, the Zvex Nanohead.....

http://www.guitarexperience.com/html/modules.php?name=catalog&file=product_info&products_id=81 425 its actually 0.5Watts

Originally posted by redmeat:

Steve from Real Shocks frequently drowns out the rest of his band with a 30W open back-cab Vox AC30. I'm thinking about getting a 22W head.

This i admit is true....

If i was buying a vox valve amp again I would get the AC15 (15 WATTS). Its loud enough for Kings of Leon on stage. Vox valve amps are v loud and seem to go from low volume to high volume with not a lot in between.

Guilty as charged.

For the last 9 months Ive been using either borrowed Fender Twins set to 25watts via the selector switch on the back when we've been overseas and in the UK Ive been using a Line 6 Duoverb combo. The Duoverb is a 100watt digital modelling amp that is actually versatile enough to make it sound like its absolutely on the edge, without having to turn it up too loud so that you kill the audience. I thought it would be shitola for gigs as Id only bought it for studio stuff, but it actually sounds as good as a Fender Twin and also is less dangerous than an AC30. Its got stereo XLR direct outputs on the back which sound great just straight into the PA desk or even for recording. The sound guys at bbc Scotland were well impressed with the natural sound it gives as a lot of modelling amps sound bollocks.

So anyhow, I dont drown out the rest of the shocks anymore. But is that a good thing?

Noisy little fuckers.

Guest redmeat
Originally posted by betamax:

This i admit is true....

If i was buying a vox valve amp again I would get the AC15 (15 WATTS). Its loud enough for Kings of Leon on stage. Vox valve amps are v loud and seem to go from low volume to high volume with not a lot in between.

Guilty as charged.

For the last 9 months Ive been using either borrowed Fender Twins set to 25watts via the selector switch on the back when we've been overseas and in the UK Ive been using a Line 6 Duoverb combo. The Duoverb is a 100watt digital modelling amp that is actually versatile enough to make it sound like its absolutely on the edge, without having to turn it up too loud so that you kill the audience. I thought it would be shitola for gigs as Id only bought it for studio stuff, but it actually sounds as good as a Fender Twin and also is less dangerous than an AC30. Its got stereo XLR direct outputs on the back which sound great just straight into the PA desk or even for recording. The sound guys at bbc Scotland were well impressed with the natural sound it gives as a lot of modelling amps sound bollocks.

So anyhow, I dont drown out the rest of the shocks anymore. But is that a good thing?

Noisy little fuckers.

The AC30 sounded really good though!

i know of a guy who got pissed off with running an incredible loud stage volume (100 watt marshall) so he set up his amp in a room somewhere backstage, cranked it completely and got it miced up, so all his amp sound was coming via the pa and monitors... cranked amp tone, but no volume :D

the Zvex nano head (the 1/2 watt one posted above) isnt really that expensive, you would pay thousands for a nice valve amp, and more than the nano for most production heads, so 400 for that aint too bad at all, plus they sound absolutely beautiful.

David

Originally posted by soundian:

Try the DDL thing with your three amps, stick the wet through one of the heads and use the AC30 and the other head for dry. Lightly pan the two dry signals and put the DDL right up the middle. That should sound pretty good I reckon.

You'd better be extra nice to engineers if you want them to be arsed doing all that though.

Don't bother with the SVT idea, it sounds like a muddy guitar when you play guitar through it. What that gains anyone I still haven't figured out. Why do you want to hog all the frequencies anyway, are the rest of your band shit?

I don't really have all those amps.

I wish I did though. I was away in one of my "fantasies".

I once had a weird dream where I was Enrique Englasias' guitarist at T in the Park. I didn't know any of the songs and his tour manager (in a check suit) was shouting at me.

That probably doesn't add much does it?

Originally posted by redmeat:

Tav,

Why not buy a DSL 201 or 401 combo and use it through an extension cab?

Cheaper to revalve as well.

Different circuits from a DSL50 so they sound different. Plus a head and cab looks much better especially with a 4x12" which does sound signifcantly better than any other config of cab I have tried. There's a certain air behind it that you don't get with a 2x12"

Like I said it has a air-y quality about it. I was wanting a 2x12" to save some cash and I was too bothered about the looks but damn the 4x12" just sounded better. I'll have my amp cranked all the time when I get an attenuator. Don't really need the cab to be rocking to get a good sound...certainly not venturing into speaker distortion levels of cranked ness.

the DSL combos are El-84, the heads are El-34. definitly a different sound. They do sound good though.

I used to play a 4x12, but I actually prefer my 1x12 open back cab. I put a Celestion Vintage 30 in there. They have a power rating of 60W, so with my amp I'm verging on speaker distortion - it's nice.

The whole thing sounds good, and is infinitely more portable. The way I see it is: when I need and can afford a van, I can afford a big cab.

We used to drive up to gigs in Aberdeen in a Suzuki Swift that was salmon pink.

4 guys, all 6ft or over, Three guitars. One bass. 4 bags, one big pedalboard, a 1x12 combo and a head. Plus food and magazines, cameras etc etc. And then drive home to Edinburgh starting at 11 at night or later. And that was with our old drummer who was a sociopathic rugby playing poet who had a habit of having mental breakdowns and threatening to beat the living shite out of some of us.

Deadenstereo are 'doing it' for the kids in Aberdeen.

Craig