aberdeen-music

New DJ Decks

Flash@TMB

The old decks were starting to jump, and cleaning wasn't curing it so...

http://www.denondj.com/prodview_item.asp?pid=26&cid=1

DND6000.jpg

The old decks alway sounded bass heavy, and these have cured that, they sound crystal clear. They connect to the desk directly via a digital coax.

The features of most interest are:

Removable drives. So they can be replaced when they wear out without scrapping the whole unit.

Slot loading, so no more sticky trays.

20 seconds of shock protection. The players stream ahead to a hard drive, so they don't skip when some fat cunt lands next to them. Craig.

Ability to select and cue up the next track, from a CD which is already playing - very useful!

Full support for MP3s. All the mixing and effects can also be applied to these, although shock protection only works with the CBR type MP3s. Also supports ID tags, and displays the tracks names.

So there you have it! They will be debuting this Friday :)

Oh ace, how exciting indeedy.

I will stroke them just as if they have real fur with my nice clean hands.

I bet the volume will be louder than loud but in the best possible way.

And with the smoke machine to go with it all, what could be better. Ace! Some of my new CDs were jumping with new songs i had burnt, but this I bet will cure the bug wherever/whatever it was.

yay*

Oh ace, how exciting indeedy.

I will stroke them just as if they have real fur with my nice clean hands.

I bet the volume will be louder than loud but in the best possible way.

And with the smoke machine to go with it all, what could be better. Ace! Some of my new CDs were jumping with new songs i had burnt, but this I bet will cure the bug wherever/whatever it was.

yay*

For the DJ's who use MP3's you can now just burn them onto a disc in MP3 format, then the deck lets you access them through its menu, so is it around 1000 tracks on one disc?

still, It is much better to use the real CD's they sound much better :music:

They look pretty good like :)

Only problem could be if Denon stop making the cd drives, in which case you'll have to replace the whole thing anyway. Looks good spec otherwise.

Slot loaders can be more susceptible (sp) to scratching cds than tray loaders, but as long as they're kept well and cleaned regularly they should be fine. Car cd players are a nightmare for scratching cds because of that :s

Denon have been making decks with this particular type drive module for several (I think 6) years, starting with the DN-D9000. So I'm hoping/guessing that they will continue to support the interface :) It's a good idea... but then so was betamax LOL!

For people burning CDs or using MP3s they should be aware that the MCPS can issue a licence to make this legal for DJs, provided they own the original. This helps get around the wearing out the CDs problem.

Another thing to note is that the lower the speed you burn at, the less likely the CD will be to jump. There are data comparitor tools available on shareware and freeware that can check the burned data vs the original and return how accurate the burn is as a percentage. The trick is to test burn a CD at different speeds then use the comparitor tool to ascertain which speed offers the best compromise of accuracy vs time to burn. Personally I'd recommend using the level where it just dips below 100%, on my computers drive this occurs at 10x speed. Below that it really starts to degrade, to the point where a full speed burn can actually be heard as sounding very wrong if played back on a decent system in a quiet room. BTW this kind of came as a surprise to me, as I'd assumed that a burn would be 100% accurate... it isn't.

I dislike the higher loss MP3s because, with a little practice, it becomes easy to detect them, even in a noisy evironment. But the 320s would sound fine on a busy night.

Anyhow - we'll find out just how good these decks sound in 3 hours. Can't wait!

yy yyy yyy yyy yy y yes it it it it it ititititit hahahahaha ha ha ha has wheek wheek wheek it it it it has has loops. oops.

It also has on-board FX, and heaps of other stuff that I don't understand. And you can play stuff backwards, or backwards stuff forwards... but please be careful with those Judas Priest albums - they have the words "Do it" on them.

What a difference in sound though, the old decks must have been well goosed, either that or they were utter shite to begin with.

Personally I'd recommend using the level where it just dips below 100%, on my computers drive this occurs at 10x speed. Below that it really starts to degrade, to the point where a full speed burn can actually be heard as sounding very wrong if played back on a decent system in a quiet room. BTW this kind of came as a surprise to me, as I'd assumed that a burn would be 100% accurate... it isn't.

I've seen 8X recommended as the maximum burn speed for audio quite a lot which fits in with your findings.

Doesn't matter so much of you're playing it back on the same drive you burned it on, but otherwise, best to play safe and burn it slow.

What I want to know is; is it possible to listen to the end of the track that is currently playing before it reaches the end?

(Other DJs will know what I'm talking about and realise what a fantastic idea this would be).

The man who invents those decks will be rich, RICH I tell you! As long as they play real CDs, and not just MP3 ones or control a laptop. And also have cool flashy lights. And maybe a good seamless loop. And pitch shift with key lock.