aberdeen-music

Freddie at 60

jester1470

As Freddie Mercury would have been 60 on the 5th September, I wanted to post a thread that will no doubt be ridiculed :p to the guy who got me into music. I got into Queen when I was about 14 , just before the release of Innuendo and loved it. In my opinion Freddie was the best showman/vocalist that there's ever been, and an underated pianist. I still rate Brian May as possibly the best guitarist I've ever seen live and Roger Taylor is an underated drummer but I've never seen John Deacon play sadly as his basslines are also much underated. Queen also were the first band musically I ever collected and I still have some nice rarities such as a copy of the 'Smile' album signed by Roger Taylor (possibly the only signed one in existance as they usually refuse to sign it apparently - get 'em when he's pissed ;) ). Queen also lead me into a long standing passion for several other bands, who I learned of because they supported Queen ot Queen supported them, such as Mott the Hoople and Marillion.

It's strange to think its nearly 15 years since he died and imo Queen's influence is still being heard time and again in bands such as Muse and of course the Darkness. Long may it continue, Freddie was the first of the real rock stars to go in my lifetime and still one of the most coloirfull... I leave you with some quotes:

Rod Stewart, Eiton John and I were going to form a band called Hair, Nose and Teeth after the three of us. But it hasn't happened because none of us can agree on the order of the words!

Money may not buy happiness, but it can damn well give it!

"Ah, Mr Ferocious! Well, we're trying our best dear!" when Sid Vicous asked Freddie if he finally brought ballet to the masses.

"Woman are like modern paintings. You can't enjoy them, if you try to understand them."

Once the band performed somewhere and Freddie managed to get the royal suite while the others had normal rooms.

Roger: How did you get such a f***ing big room?

Freddie said: My dear, we are all equal, but some of us are more equal than others.

Roger's response was: "Well yours is a f**k sight more equal than mine!"

It's only a bloody record, people get so exited about these things.

"My songs are like Bic razors. For fun, for modern consumption. You listen to it, like it, discard it, then on to the next. Disposable pop."

"If I wanted children, I'd just go into Harrods and buy one. Buy two and you get the nanny thrown in"

Guest DustyDeviada

Yes, Queen were undoubtedly a great singles band and Freddie Mercury a great showman.

I just find it sad how Brian May and Roger Taylor have done their best to denigrate the legacy of Queen by releasing crappy albums (Heaven for Everyone), making crappy musicals with arseholes like Ben Elton, making crappy singles with the likes of Five (!) and going on crappy money making tours with Paul Rodgers.

In contrast John Deacon has remained composed and dignified since Freddie's death, and this is to his credit.

Yes' date=' Queen were undoubtedly a great singles band and Freddie Mercury a great showman.

I just find it sad how Brian May and Roger Taylor have done their best to denigrate the legacy of Queen by releasing crappy albums (Heaven for Everyone), making crappy musicals with arseholes like Ben Elton, making crappy singles with the likes of Five (!) and going on crappy money making tours with Paul Rodgers.

In contrast John Deacon has remained composed and dignified since Freddie's death, and this is to his credit.[/quote']

Got to agree there. I'm not a Queen fan but I do like a lot their singles upto and including Crazy Little Thing Called Love. But I never rated anything after that and the post Mercury stuff has been cringeworthy and demeaning.

Back to the Jesters post...and the obligatory mention of that crap known as The :swearing: Darkness. No no no no no no :down:

Each to their own... I have been a queen fan for over 10 years now... Heaven for Everyone (Made in Heaven album) was created by all three members and had Freddie input, Freddie also said he wished the band to continue, and john deacon retired full stop. Mr Deacon also gave his consent for the tour...

I saw Queen + Pr on three occasions on their tour, and while PR did not suit all material, some of it was fantastic, and the likes of May were on fire, he is playing better now than he ever did. And I am a huge PR fan so therefore I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Brian May and Taylor were closest of friends with Freddie, and i don't think anyone can be in a position to know what Fredie would have liked or not other than those two... Im glad the likes of Taylor and May are still out there. They are extremely talented musicians... They got up and played over 2 hours of great music... Plus do you know how much of this takings from these shows did not go to the eprformers, they were in fact diverted into the Mercury Pheonix Trust... the FM Aids Charity?

We Wil Rock You is heading to be one of the biggest grossing musicals ever... It still fills the theatres... Not only in the UK but all over the World now... I think the musical works, and it has a level of drama and campness which Freddie would have appreciated. But these are genuine Queen fans who want to hear the music... And they'll get it from wherever they can. And the house band at the Dominion is a damn good place to start I tell ya...

Im a perforemer, a classically trained singer... My inspiration was Freddie Mercury, the man could do no wrong, he was gifted, iconic and a legend... And however much I support Taylor/May in their current projects, of course I would have preferred Freddie to be up their with them... But its just not possible. But I still want to hear his wonderful music... and Taylor/May are as big a part of that music as anyone.

Guest DustyDeviada
Each to their own... I have been a queen fan for over 10 years now... Heaven for Everyone (Made in Heaven album) was created by all three members and had Freddie input' date=' Freddie also said he wished the band to continue, and john deacon retired full stop. Mr Deacon also gave his consent for the tour...

I saw Queen + Pr on three occasions on their tour, and while PR did not suit all material, some of it was fantastic, and the likes of May were on fire, he is playing better now than he ever did. And I am a huge PR fan so therefore I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Brian May and Taylor were closest of friends with Freddie, and i don't think anyone can be in a position to know what Fredie would have liked or not other than those two... Im glad the likes of Taylor and May are still out there. They are extremely talented musicians... They got up and played over 2 hours of great music... Plus do you know how much of this takings from these shows did not go to the eprformers, they were in fact diverted into the Mercury Pheonix Trust... the FM Aids Charity?

We Wil Rock You is heading to be one of the biggest grossing musicals ever... It still fills the theatres... Not only in the UK but all over the World now... I think the musical works, and it has a level of drama and campness which Freddie would have appreciated. But these are genuine Queen fans who want to hear the music... And they'll get it from wherever they can. And the house band at the Dominion is a damn good place to start I tell ya...

Im a perforemer, a classically trained singer... My inspiration was Freddie Mercury, the man could do no wrong, he was gifted, iconic and a legend... And however much I support Taylor/May in their current projects, of course I would have preferred Freddie to be up their with them... But its just not possible. But I still want to hear his wonderful music... and Taylor/May are as big a part of that music as anyone.[/quote']

I see you're not trying to defend the collaboration with 5ive. ;)

Why do they refuse to sign the smile album?

Well they dont get the chance to, the Vinyl version is pretty rare ;) It's also effectively a bootleg, well the CD version certainly is, Smile were the band Roger Taylor and Brian May were in before Queen for anyone who doesnt know. The album was released on a limited run in Japan in the early 80's against Roger and Brian's wishes and they tried to get it taken off the market then, I cant remember if they succeeded or not, I believe that there was only a couple of pressings of it though.

Cheers

Stuart

I see you're not trying to defend the collaboration with 5ive. ;)

Some things are undefendable ;) I do however disagree with the comments about the Queen and PR Tour though I do agree with you about 'Made in Heaven', theres only about 2 actual songs in it, the rest are pieced together from Freddie's solo career and the Brian May and Cross stuff. I think the Paul Rodgers tour was just some guys who enjoyed doing what they did wanting to do it agai, remember many of the Queen classics were written by Brian and Roger too such as We will rock you, Radio Gaga, etc. I think that theres nothing wrong with them going out and playing what they enjoy playing, as it is their material, they collaborated on pretty much everything that was played, Freddie May have been credited with writing Bohemian Rhapsodyy but its the Brian May part everyone rocks out to :p

As for the musical, I was actually gutted I didnt get a chance to see it when we were staying in London last month, but we will go and see it sometime soon :)

I've been lucky enough to see Roger solo, Brian solo and Queen playing with the SAS Band and Bruce Dickinson on vocals and I thought each was brilliant. I'd far rather have the chance to see that again and have the Queen machine roll on than to have them retire :p

Cheers

Stuart

Guest DustyDeviada

I don't have any problem with them still playing or even playing Queen material, but I don't think they should use the Queen name, especially when John Deacon is no longer involved.

Does anybody think Freddie would have approved of this?:

27277.jpg

As far as I am concerned the band Queen died with Freddie.

Guest DustyDeviada

Oh, and I hate all of these musicals that are based on band's back catalogues, the set ups they use to string a whole load of totally unrelated songs together are horrendously contrived.

Add that pretentious twat Ben Elton into the mix and it's a total disaster zone as far as I am concerned. It may be successful, but I've never bought into the argument that just because something sells it gives it artistic merit. There are a lot of stupid people out there, hence the success of the likes of James Blunt and Westlife. They sell more records than somebody like Lou Reed, does that make them better or defensible? Not by a long shot.

Queen - great band and Freddie was THEE master showman.

I could never hack their campy stuff though and detested the likes of "Radio Ga-Ga" and "I Want to Break Free", but the early stuff was 24 carat gold - "Seven Seas...", "Liar", "Now I'm Here", "Rhapsody" (of course) and my favourite "Ogre Battle".

Who could forget Freddie bringing just about the whole planet to tears during Live Aid with his totally poignant & relevent rendition of "Is This The World We Created"...that song, as much as any crap dittys (Sir Bob), shite cover versions (Mick?, David?) and transatlantic drumming (Phat Phil) made the event a global success.

60 !!! - Freddie would have been horrified - "you know how these old queens get when their looks start going" (a free electronic guitar tuner to the first person who can tell me what movie quote is from).

DZL

Guest DustyDeviada
60 !!! - Freddie would have been horrified - "you know how these old queens get when their looks start going" (a free electronic guitar tuner to the first person who can tell me what movie quote is from).

I'm not a connoisseur of homo-erotica as you clearly are, but I'll guess that gay Al pacino classic Cruising. ;)

dunno bout freddie at 60 more like deaddie at 60.....

there's no doubting queen were a top band but they did make some unbelievable shite records, just listen to 1982's hot space for proof of this. luckily though they did more good stuff than bad. i downloaded inneundo the other day and had forgotten what an amazing tune it is.

and as for the reformation well look on the brightside it means no more solo may or taylor records which cannot be a bad thing in my book!

but the five collaboration was unforgiveable!

Nothing there that I'm unaware of...but I'm sure plenty other people will learn a thing or two.

The thing that's always got me about Queen was they played Sun City in the Apartheid era' date=' which to me shows them as having no morals as far as a fast buck was concerned. Which is even more magnified by the Freddie's background...[/quote']

Again nothing I didnt know either, I always got the impression he was at odds with himself and there was a public facade that was OTT and a private one. Several years ago I found myself out with Roger Taylor and I asked him about the Sun City thing and he said that basically by the time that the Sun City thing came about they didnt have a lot of say in where they toured, not that hey couldnt have had a lot of say, but by that time they didnt care and paid other people to sort out that, they just turned up, did what they did and went home. He was, quite embarassed about it and said he didnt really know much about it until it happened, ie he didnt really know the politics etc. He did say however that they didnt make a penny from the gig as it all went to a local charity and to this day the royalties from the song 'Is this the World we Created' goes to a local charity out there and has built a school and several other things. Interstingly it started off an interest in politics with Roger which ended up with him refusing to play some dates on the 'Magic' Tour because of the setup.

In response to the article, I should also say, its a bit biased, Freddie admitted he was gay/bisexual several times in interviews and as far as I know never downplayed his origins, certainly not comparable to Michael Jackson who has had plastic surgery etc to make himself look white, all Freddie did was change his name.

Cheers

Stuart

Well they dont get the chance to' date=' the Vinyl version is pretty rare ;) It's also effectively a bootleg, well the CD version certainly is, Smile were the band Roger Taylor and Brian May were in before Queen for anyone who doesnt know. The album was released on a limited run in Japan in the early 80's against Roger and Brian's wishes and they tried to get it taken off the market then, I cant remember if they succeeded or not, I believe that there was only a couple of pressings of it though.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

:]

i purchased said Smile cd in a music shop somewhere strange...

possibly in Spain. cant really remember

I also have one of those display cabinet thingys with all the albums on gold picture discs

it rocks!

watched a bit of the Wembley 86 gig t'other day

now that was one helluva show!

:rockon:

Again nothing I didnt know either' date=' I always got the impression he was at odds with himself and there was a public facade that was OTT and a private one. Several years ago I found myself out with Roger Taylor and I asked him about the Sun City thing and he said that basically by the time that the Sun City thing came about they didnt have a lot of say in where they toured, not that hey couldnt have had a lot of say, but by that time they didnt care and paid other people to sort out that, they just turned up, did what they did and went home. He was, quite embarassed about it and said he didnt really know much about it until it happened, ie he didnt really know the politics etc. He did say however that they didnt make a penny from the gig as it all went to a local charity and to this day the royalties from the song 'Is this the World we Created' goes to a local charity out there and has built a school and several other things. Interstingly it started off an interest in politics with Roger which ended up with him refusing to play some dates on the 'Magic' Tour because of the setup.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

They didn't know anything about it eh! Check this out and look out for some of the other money grabbing bastards Status Quo and Rod Stewart.

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/fridayreview/story/0,,1389455,00.html

"We've thought a lot about the morals of it a lot," claimed Brian May at the time, long alleged to be one of the cleverest men in rock, "and it is something we've decided to do. The band is not political - we play to anybody who wants to come and listen." "Throughout our career we've been a very non-political group," said bassist John Deacon (aka The Other One). "We enjoy going to new places. We've toured America and Europe so many times that it's nice to go somewhere different ... I know there can be a bit of fuss, but apparently we're very popular down there ... Basically, we want to play wherever fans want to see us."

The cloth-headed, deluded, impossibly arrogant nature of these pronouncements hardly needed mentioning. Queen were swiftly fined by the British Musicians' Union, and briefly turned into music press pariahs. They were not alone: the likes of Rod Stewart and Status Quo also played Sun City, easing their consciences by making donations to local charities. Queen were no exception: they attempted to make up for the breaking of the cultural boycott by handing some spare royalties to a school for the deaf and blind. It didn't wash: the UN stuck them on its list of blacklisted artists, where they remained until apartheid was finally dismantled.