aberdeen-music

*UPDATED*: Worldes Oldest Beer now available... in dark too

Flash@TMB

EDIT Back in April 2004:

No it's not the can of Youngers Heavy that my dad bought in 1974 and I found in the back of the lobby cupboard 20 years later, that came out in brown lumps when I poured it.

No this stuff was FIRST brewed in the 11 Century. It's even older than Ronnie Arthur.

The beer in question is a German wheat beer called (let me get this right) Weihenstephan Hefe Weissbier. Or something to that effect. We just call it Hefe.

The Moorings is only one of two places in town to stock Hefe, the other is Cafe 52, a place I've heard described as the cullinary equivalent of The Moorings. If you haven't been to Cafe 52 I strongly recommend a visit!

We decided to stock Hefe for two reasons. Firstly Hoegaarden was bought over by Interbrew, and we prefer to support the smaller breweries where it's viable to do so. We didn't want to stock something that might find it's way into a chain bar.

Secondly we errr road tested several wheat beers looking for something that we liked us much as Hoegaarden. Hefe was by far the best, in fact we MUCH prefer it to Hoegaarden. Hefe is more quaffable, and slightly fizzier. It also doesn't have the gagy effect that you sometimes get with Hoegaarden. Like Howgaarden it's very cloudy. In fact it resembles muddy water. If you can't pronounce Hefe or Weihenstephen then just ask for a Muddy Waters :)

At present Hefe is retailing for the same as Hoegaarden was until we see the invoice and calculate the optimum price.

Damage reports to follow.

EDIT December 2006: As of today we have been kitted out with a new font to dispense both the original verions and it's darker sister Weihenstephen Dunkel. So now there is a choice: Weissbier oder dunkel bier. Ja!

The new font has twin taps. The dunkel bier is similar tasting but with a stronger flavour.

The brewery has restricted imports of the product, because it's intended only for their domestic (Deutch) market, and we are one of only 2 bars in the UK that can stock this on draught. In fact it's so rare that I cannot find an image of it to post here LOL. But it's brown and cloudy looking in a Heffe glass

Price will be as per regular Hefe. Which is extortionate... but then it only takes 3 pints to fallover. My recommendation is to drink half pints - much safer.

Guest Scott 5FD

i still need to go see what The Moorings looks like now its all been done up.

this Hefe beer sounds good, shall need to partake in some sampling.

where is this Cafe 52, sounds interesting?

Originally posted by Scott 5FD:

where is this Cafe 52, sounds interesting?

In the green opposite R&B prices are very reasonable, but you may need to book a little in advance because the place is really popular.

I usually go in and ask them to hold me a table, then go over and tour R&B till they call me on my mobile.

Originally posted by KarmaTsunami:

i'll be in town, possibly tomorrow, to sample this beer. if you prefer it to hoegaarden...then i may too since i've discovered hoegaarden as my new favourite beer.

see you this weekend!

less of a hangover than Hoegaarden, but the same nutter juice effects. Much easier to drink. Hefe is not flavoured with coriander, so the taste is different though very much of the same ilk.

During the 2 months we were shut the entire bar crew spent an afternoon in Cafe 52 sampling the Hefe. Prior to this visit the crew were very much in favour of retaining the Hoegaarden. That was reversed as soon as they tasted the Hefe. This has since been bourne out by our regular Hoegaarden drinkers, all of whom agree that Hefe is an improvement. The main reason given is drinkability.

Like to hear your opinion too.

Flash

Guest Laura@TMB
do all the staff recognise the muddy waters phrase mentioned above?

Hhmm , maybe not yet, but don't worry - just ask for a pint of the "new stuff" and they'll all know what you mean. It's going down real well with our customers - in fact I had to place an emergency order for more today so that we'd have enough to see us thro' the weekend. When I thought of getting it in before we shut for the refurb, I was worried that the price of it might put folk off, but it's such a great pint, we thought we give it a go. Eveyone seems to love it (including me :cheers:). Far nicer than Hoegaarden. Glad you like it...

L

• 2 years later...

And here's it's darker sister too!

As of today we have been kitted out with a new font to dispense both the original verions and it's darker sister Weihenstephen Dunkel. So now there is a choice: Weissbier oder dunkel bier. Ja!

The new font has twin taps. The dunkel bier is similar tasting but with a stronger flavour.

The brewery has restricted imports of the product, because it's intended only for their domestic (Deutch) market, and we are one of only 2 bars in the UK that can stock this on draught. In fact it's so rare that I cannot find an image of it to post here LOL. But it's brown and cloudy looking in a Hefe glass :)

Price will be as per regular Hefe.

Guest Neutral
reading this has made me crave decent beer. with 10 pounds to my name until friday though, tonight will be spent quaffing tramp wine instead

your drinking buckie?

ima go the moorings anda get a pissed much so after new year maybe on new years eve too