aberdeen-music

Lone Pigeon plays here on the 22nd April

Dizzy Storm

Lone Pigeon will be coming to Dr Drakes on 22nd April, along with Pip Dylan, fellow songsmith and member of Fife's 'Fence Collective'.

But first, who is this Long Pigeon bloke? Know the Beta Band?Anyway, the band's co-founder and co-writer, Gordon Anderson, never really got to take part in the Beta Band's success because he had to return to Scotland for health reasons. So, a few years back, he started doing his own thing and dubbed himself Lone Pigeon. (The Beta Band's original name was the Pigeons.) In 2001, Lone Pigeon released the Touched by Tomoko EP and in 2002, Concubine Rice on Domino Records. Both albums garnered substantial critical acclaim.

His songwriting touches on an ancient, almost medievil style. Lone Pigeons melancholic approach creates a natural yearning content, which any lover of good songs should find irresistable. You will hear faint strains of 60's era songwriting in there; think Fred Niel, Dylan, George Harrison and Barret.

Anyway, he's coming to promote his new album 'Schoozzzmmi' and I personally think this will be a must see gig for anyone interested in good music.

His twin bro' Pip Dylan will also be playing a set of his own brand of acoustic folk. With references to Bert Jansch, John Renbourn and Jim O'Rourke, Pip approaches songwriting with sincerity, and guitar playing with shameless flare.

As if that wasn't enough to have you all chompin' at the bit, our very own Ziggy Fantastic (Staccato Set) will be departing from his usual Open Mic set to play a set of harrowing originals.

See you all there!

DOORS 8PM - 2AM

ENTRY FEE 5

Nice one Dave

I caught Pip Dylan at the Lemon Tree when the Fence collective played there last year. He was outstanding, and I reckon the intamite 'Dr.Drakes' environment will be perfect for him and his bro' Lone Pigeon.

I have no doubts that this gig will be one of those incredible 'moments', which happen every so often at Dr Drakes.

Just to further whet your appetites, here is a write up of the Pidge's new album 'Schoozzzmmii'

"Schoozzzmmii -- like its Domino predecessor Concubine Rice -- was recorded at home, giving it an unmistakable 4-track quality, and Gordon Anderson's lyrics are pure pop glory. Based in Fife, a place from which he says he never wants to escape, his distance from the music business capital has allowed him to develop a singular approach. Listening to Lone Pigeon is more about recognizing that the world imposes unnecessary restrictions and accepting the sense of personal freedom offered. Even partial access to the minds of genuine outsider artists whose music cleanses the soul is quite humbling. With Lone Pigeon appearing on The Guardian Top 50 Best British Band and Mojo's British Eccentrics lists, Gordon Anderson -- for he is the Lone Pigeon -- shies away from such talk. Not in some fake 'I-secretly-crave-limelight' way, either. For him, over-confidence breeds arrogance, which in turn yields nonsensical output. Bup, bup, we'll have none of that here."

a comparitively weak piece of journalism taken from some webzine.

And here is a write up about Ziggy's music

"It's shagging music"

literary genius by Brian Youngson taken from the Fudge Fanzine.

full biog for your info....

In the summer of 1996, Lonepigeon was the singer/songwriter and co founder of The Beta Band (The Pigeons being the original name for the Beta Band). However, by the time of their signing to Regal Records later that year, he was forced to fly home to Scotland due to ill-health, and has subsequently proved too unstable to rejoin the London based band. His co-writing credits include Dry the Rain, B + A and Dogs got a Bone from the Champion Versions EP, and The Cow's Wrong on The Beta Bands debut album.

Back in Fife, The Lone Pigeon has continued to work as a prolific musician and artist and has become an integral member of the Fence collective. A micro-indie label and collective of northeast Fife bands, Billy Pilgrim, Gummi Bako, James Yorkston, King Creosote, Pip Dylan, who play on each others songs live and on each others records - the Fence collective have quietly been writing and recording songs for years with little regard for the music industry, simply handing out CDs to friends or anyone listening, yet producing some of the most exciting home-grown music to grace Britain. This wayward approach has spawned a legion of loyal listeners.

As part of the collective, Lonepigeon has amassed a huge collection of songs, instrumentals and weirdness, and released two deleted mail order CDR albums, Moses and 28 Secret Tracks, both on Fence. In Spring 2001, Lonepigeon caught the imagination of London indie label Bad Jazz, who released the official debut Lonepigeon record, Touched By Tomoko EP. This record gained wide-spread critical acclaim with rave reviews, an NME feature, a session for BBC Radio One and the EP sold-out on its day of release! Soon after, the delicate Lonepigeon once again flew away, occasionally returning with rare and magical live performances with the collective, which few were fortunate enough to witness.

In 2002 Anderson was ready to release his debut full-length, signing to Londons Domino Records, who released Concubine Rice in June of that year. Like Skip Spences Oar album, Concubine Rice, is the purest possible representation of a human being. It captures one of the most honest and intimate, personal journeys you are likely to hear on record. Those recorded soon after Lonepigeons departure from the Beta Band, show his lowest ebb. Long Way Down is The Lone Pigeon at his most desperate, with the descending lyric Ive been a long way to be down, ending with this is me, caught off mic. The Rainking is an edit of a twelve minute improvised song, written at a time of complete wilderness, and climaxes with the emotional breakdown in his vocal. While both songs are harrowing, they are also a celebration of Andersons current health.

The tracks contained on Schoozzzmii are taken from the same time period, but are just now coming to light for the first time. They continue to show an incredibly creative mind at work. Schoozzzmii will pave the way to the release of Lonepigeons sophomore full-length of new material, which he is currently busy at work on with producer Joe Robinson (Badly Drawn Boy). Anderson promises that this proper album will be a goodun, as its being properly produced and not just ideas here and there. If Concubine Rice and Schoozzzmii are any indication of what Lonepigeon is capable of doing on his own, I think we will all be pleased with what lies in store.

Lone Pigeon is a troubled performer who has quite a lot of talent but seems to be shortening his lifespan playing live without a band. I would go and see him live again although hopefully without that female heckler !

I wonder what his twin brother sounds like ?

On another note LP didnt half have a big fancy organ...

Dave

The crowd was undoubtedly the worst I've ever seen in Drakes. Not size wise, it was packed, but just weird. Speaking to Alan Cynic, he said last Sunday's crowd were brilliant, really attentive and listening to the songs. I couldn't help wondering how different last night would have been if we'd had that, instead of women wandering up to the stage braying "play that one, y'know, the one that goes, um, here I'll sing it in your ear..." etc.

There was that one huge group in the middle of the floor who obviously had never been near Drakes before. No concept of what an intimate gig should be, they just wouldn't stop shouting stuff at him - they were obviously fans, as they were shouting out song titles at him, but it was so obviously throwing him right off. And as soon as he started a song they'd asked for, they'd start yapping away to themselves, which would just put him right off. I did feel sorry for him as he was clearly extremely nervous, but couldn't help feeling he should really have been able to play his own songs no matter what. Even with songs from his new album which he was promoting, he was asking the crowd how the melody went etc. That coupled with the adoring but idiotic crowd made it very hard to watch. There were definitely flashes of brilliance in there though.