aberdeen-music

The Jaffa: Cake or Biscuit?

(taken from the fantastic Wikipedia)

"Under UK law, no VAT is charged on biscuits and cakes they are "zero rated". Chocolate covered biscuits, however, are classed as luxury items and are subject to VAT at 17.5%. McVitie's classed its Jaffa Cakes as cakes, but in 1991, this was challenged by HM Customs and Excise in court. This may have been because Jaffa Cakes are about the same size and shape as some types of biscuit. The question which had to be answered was what criteria should be used to class something as a cake or biscuit. McVitie's defended the classification of Jaffa Cakes as a cake by producing a giant Jaffa Cake to illustrate that their Jaffa Cakes were simply mini cakes.

They also argued that the distinction between cakes and biscuits is simply that cakes go hard when stale, whereas biscuits go soft. It was demonstrated that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale and McVitie's won the case.

The issue was revisited in an article entitled 'Are Jaffa Cakes really biscuits?' published in the Journal of Unlikely Science (Volume 1, issue 7, 2005). The article attempted to classify biscuits via a scientific analysis of various features (size, shape, filling etc.) and determined that the Jaffa Cake should be regarded as a biscuit, or 'pseudobiscuit'."

PSEUDOBISCUIT, haha.

yeah, i really like jaffa cakes. you?

have you tried the cherry ones from lidl?

Mmmmmm..!! They are very nice' date=' IIRC they did raspberry ones too - also V.nice & the mini ones! :)

Marks and Spencers tubs of mini imitation jaffa cakes are also rather divine.

Ditto the M&S's rectangular Jaffa Cakes - on 2pks for 99p quite often. The topping goes right to the edge of the sponge.

I like my Jaffa Cakes, I do. Can't you tell? :D

a foolish person has left a packet of blackcurrant jaffa cakes next to the coffee machine at my work. I've already had three :p yum.

What is it with these different flavoured jaffa cakes o_O

Jaffa is a type of Orange, hence the name. Its like having savoury ice cream flavours :(

You cunts.... I'm off to the supermarket to buy Jaffa Pseudobiscuits!!!

HA now that made me chortle

Aye theres a few flavours of jaffa cakes now and i had the exact same convo with ma missus that it defeats the purpose calling em lemon jaffa or blackcurrant jaffa as jaffa is an orange

She told me to stop talking with my mouth full

Ditto the M&S's rectangular Jaffa Cakes - on 2pks for 99p quite often. The topping goes right to the edge of the sponge.

So do Lidl's - takes all the fun away though. I like nibbling round the edge so I'm left with just the orangey bit then I scoff the orange bit in a 1er..... Mmmmmmm........

How do you eat yours? *blatant theft from the creme egg ad's*

they guys on QI had a convo about it and they proved that it was a cake. and it's in the name so there's no argument about it. hehe, the new flavours are disgusting, ewwwwww! but the mini rolls are fine... hint hint hint fi. ooooh yeah. they should just keep going with what they already got. ack, i'm done here. LATERS!!!!:gringo: