aberdeen-music

Gibson Les Paul

Neill

Guest MKII

Cons:

The weight of them, especially customs and Supremes! Even standards get kinda irritating if you play for a long time standing up.

After playing strats and telecasters for years, it took quite a bit of getting used to the shape etc.

Pros:

They can sound very, very good, thick, but biting with the bridge pickup, fenderesque in the middle and nice and warm with the neck pickup.

It depends on what sounds you're going for?

I have a tele and a strat.

The strat is a HSS and I prefer the humbucker sound, just 'sounds' better than the single coils.

Plus I had a Class 5 custom shop on loan for about 4 months and once I managed to build up resistance in the fingers to the frets I kind of pretty much loved it.

Got absolutely no 'justifcation' for it though...

If your telecaster is an American 52 reissue' date=' I'd be up for a swap. :D[/quote']

Its not. Its some wierd deluxe (plus?) thing...

Plus I like it too much (as much as just an 'object' as well as a guitar).

I told you I can't give justifications for the LP!

Get either a special, studio or junior...your back will thank you for it. Theres a reason you never see Les Paul actually playing a Les Paul! I'd recommend P90's too...they are single coil pickups but piss over any humbucker for heaviness, the gibson PAF's are too thin and one dimensional...P90's have many different sounds depending on where your volume control is. The sound is an aqquired taste...but only a fool doesn't appreciate a nice vintage tone :)

Get either a special' date=' studio or junior...[/quote']

See this is what I was meaning, is it worth going all out for a Standard?

I'd recommend P90's too...

Now you got me thinking... Suppose I'd better find out what they sound like first.

From a purely cosmetic angle I like the look of covered 'buckers more, much more, than P90's but i've never really checked them out.

Guest Gasss
I'd love a Gordon Smith...but they cost almost as much as the real thing...

*gets philosophical*

what is real?

what is the real thing?

Do you mean a guitar made in the same factory on the same jigs by the same people as the 1950s/1960s Gibsons?

Do you mean a Heritage?

I've got a Standard, and it's a lovely piece of kit. Bridge humbucker can kick out the jams and the neck sounds very smooth.

I use it for crystal clean stuff mainly, as I prefer the bitey sound of my single coiled strat when it comes to stomping on the ol' distortion.

Yes it's very heavy, but I'm not a scrawny member of generation X and have no hassle keeping it on my shoulders for a good few hours. Also, it's expensive, and that's a lot harder to justify. I got one 'cause I loved it.

Guest Gasss
Real thing = the company who designed the bloody thing.

But the original designers apart from Les Paul himself - Ted McCarthy, Travis Bigsby and (arguably) Seth Lover have all now passed away. The current Gibson company is a completely different operation which has bought the rights to a name and intellectual property. It's just a name on a headstock.

I'm not knocking Gibson guitars, just the black and white notion of authenticity.

Where for art thou Dusty ???

Can't believe it - this post has been running for days and Dusty has contributed to one of his favourite subjects - The Lester o_O

IMHO - great guitars, but an acquired taste. I've sold both of mine and bought a high-end Strat coz the LP's just plain don't fit me. I've been playing Fenders for too long now.

Fantastic tone, but for me personally, too different from the Strat for me to enjoy.

Sometimes wish I had started with a Les Paul, but as a kid who idolised Richie & Jimi, I guess I never had a choice.....

DZL

Guest DustyDeviada
Can't believe it - this post has been running for days and Dusty has contributed to one of his favourite subjects - The Lester o_O

OK' date=' less than a day, but I'll get stuck right in now. ;)

First of all, I should address this nonsense:

Theres a reason you never see Les Paul actually playing a Les Paul!

I think you'll find he plays a Les Paul every Monday night at The Iridium Club on Broadway, NYC. Certainly he was playing a Les Paul when I saw him there a year ago this week (and met him :up: ).

Here's a pic:

15Les_Paul.jpg

And before anybody comments that it's not a "proper" Les paul, no it's a Les Paul Professional, Les Paul himself designed them in the early 70s because he wanted something with low impedance pickups, but they didn't seem to catch on with anybody else. I must say they sounded great when I saw Les though.

3244_p42660.jpg

OK, back on topic, as for the Standard. I currently own two Les Pauls, an 04 Standard:

lp1rs-med.jpg

and an 01 54 Reissue, (special flametop version)

IMG_1759.jpg

I have previously owned a Les Paul Standard Lite, like this one:

standard_lite-gt.jpg

and a Les Paul Junior Special, like this one, but in black, which I sold to Jamesey out of My Mind's weapon:

lpjsna.jpg

The Standard is a great guitar, just wonderful. The 54 Reissue is good too, but I personally would urge caution before buying a guitar with P-90s. I know Keilan is raving about them, and there is no doubt that they are excellent for certian styles, but not all. Ultimately, the P-90 just doesn't have the same output as a humbucker, and therefore is never going to be as powerful as a humbucker equipped, mahogany bodied, maple topped Les Paul.

And if you want that, you have several options. You can of course go for the Standard. However, if I was buying again now, I probably wouldn't, I would go for a 57 or 58 Reissue, the Historic reissues are just better made guitars, albeit more expensive. The third option is to go for a Les Paul Studio, basically exactly the same as a Standard, but with slightly different pickups, no binding and minus a flametop. Now, Les Paul standards are SUPPOSED to come with flametops, but it seems to be the case that they keep the flametops for the states and send all the plaintops to the UK. Certainly I haven't seen any in the UK with a top as good as mine (I bought mine in the US).

One more option, the Les Paul classic. More expensive than a studio, cheaper than a standard, no flametop, thin neck and "hot" pickups more suited to metal styles.

I should also add that the Junior Special had P-100s, "noiseless" vesrions of P-90s. Not much cop I thought, and Jamesey appeared to agree as he's stuck an EMG in it now!

All the Les Pauls I have had have been heavy except the Standard Lite which had a thinner body with "tone chambers" and was a double cut. This however made it neck heavy, in the same way that SGs are. The Junior Special was slightly less heavy as it didn't have a maple cap.

So, if you're on a budget, I would go for a Studio, if you can get a second hand one, even better. If you've got enough cash to splash on a Standard, save up a bit more and either get a 57 or 58 reissue.

PS, much, much, much more info available at the Les Paul forum, be sure to read it for a while before you buy anything.

Guest DustyDeviada

My mistake, although I do take issue with your "superior knowledge" on this point:

The only negatives are the weakness of the neck...they dont stand the abuse that fenders soak up with ease and their habit of the G string not holding its tune.

Yes, the LP's habit of snapping at the neck is well founded (hence the inroduction of the dreaded volute in the 70s), but there's a simple way to make sure this doesn't happen - don't drop the fucking things.

And as for this somehow meaning that the G string will go out of tune, well that's just bollocks. My Standard DID have a problem with the G string going out of tune, but this was just down to a poorly cut nut, a local luthier widened it for me and it's stayed in tune ever since. I've gigged with it loads of times since then and never had any tuning problems. Nor have I ever heard of any complaints from the likes of:

Ace Frehley

Billie Joe Armstrong

Billy Gibbons

Dave Grohl

Dickey Betts

Eddie van Halen

Elliot Easton

Eric Clapton

Gary Moore

Jimmy Page

Joe Perry

Joe Walsh

Lenny Kravitz

Les Paul

Mark Knopfler

Pete Townshend

Peter Frampton

Slash

The Edge

Zakk Wylde

etc etc etc or any of the other thousands of guitarists who have used Les Paul’s at some point in their careers. I think a fairly serious design flaw like that would have been picked up by somebody other than yourself by now.

My mistake' date=' although I do take issue with your "superior knowledge" on this point:

Yes, the LP's habit of snapping at the neck is well founded (hence the inroduction of the dreaded volute in the 70s), but there's a simple way to make sure this doesn't happen - don't drop the fucking things.

And as for this somehow meaning that the G string will go out of tune, well that's just bollocks. My Standard DID have a problem with the G string going out of tune, but this was just down to a poorly cut nut, a local luthier widened it for me and it's stayed in tune ever since. I've gigged with it loads of times since then and never had any tuning problems. Nor have I ever heard of any complaints from the likes of:

Ace Frehley

Billie Joe Armstrong

Billy Gibbons

Dave Grohl

Dickey Betts

Eddie van Halen

Elliot Easton

Eric Clapton

Gary Moore

Jimmy Page

Joe Perry

Joe Walsh

Lenny Kravitz

Les Paul

Mark Knopfler

Pete Townshend

Peter Frampton

Slash

The Edge

Zakk Wylde

etc etc etc or any of the other thousands of guitarists who have used Les Pauls at some point in their careers. I think a fairly serious design flaw like that would have been picked up by somebody other than yourself by now.[/quote']

Fuck sake......chill out man, the superiour knowlege remark was a joke as you bobviously know a bit about les paul's, my point about the neck is well documented and they arnt as strong as fenders "and thats a fact" I have had a bit of experience of les pauls and have noticed many have a tuning issue with the "g" string...its not a big deal but the problem exists....and I'm afraid listing everyone in the fuckin world who plays one wont make any difference, I mean how many people drive fords, does that mean they are perfect...?

Well Dusty you took your time but this was pretty much exactly what I was after, a completely biased opinion!

The historic's are way, way out of my range but at that prices I'd expect them to be better otherwise....

I am seriously comtemplating a 60's neck Gold Top (yup, coz I'm not really into that 'metal'/hard rock thang. Would never have considered it if I hadn't seen Matt Sweeney's in the flesh). I did swither over the Desert Burst in Bruce Millers but somebody pipped me to the post.

Thanks for the info on the classic and studio. From a purely cosmetic point of view I favour the covered buckers so don't fancy the classic. Your comments re. metal tone just seals it. The studio would be worth investigating for sure as is appears to be roughly half the cost of a new standard.

Guess I'll have to sift through the LPF (although I looks like information overload).

If only I'd got my act together before the price increase...

Thanks,

Neill

PS I presume the LP sounds great through the microcube then?