aberdeen-music

Anybody selling anything....???

Diesel

Seems to me that the one thing you are missing is a quality acoustic... ;)

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36025

Ahh....cooo....stic, hmm, is that that thing wi' the big hole in the middle and nowhere to plug in into your amp ??

Yes, probably need one of those for those unplugged, mellow moments before the powerchords, with the shredding and the windmilling arms and the oh my ears!!...mahoiven-glaven.

Dr Frink.

Guest DustyDeviada
Ahh....cooo....stic' date=' hmm, is that that thing wi' the big hole in the middle and nowhere to plug in into your amp ??

Yes, probably need one of those for those unplugged, mellow moments before the powerchords, with the shredding and the windmilling arms and the oh my ears!!...mahoiven-glaven.

Dr Frink.[/quote']

Ah, but this one has another, smaller hole on the side where you can plug it into your amp, or more likely, a PA.

As you can see from the pics, Dylan and Weller have decided to do just that.

I'll probably sell this 1969 100 watt Laney super pa for £150, which is what I payed for it.

DSC02515.jpg

It's just too loud for my house. I need a pa type amp that is both practical for gigs and regular home use.

Here's the info about the amp, taken from the ebay page I bid/won it from... to save space I'll use the smallest font, get yer glasses ready!!!

"For those of you who know about the Laney 100W PA Super, scroll down a bit. Otherwise, read on... This amp has the same power section (4x EL34, Partridge transformers, point-to-point wiring) as the later Supergroups, famously used by Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath. You can find out more from visiting the "House of Jim" website, http://members.shaw.ca/house-of-jim/Html/Laney.html. Click on the brochure pages to see the '69/'70 catalogue spec and also scroll down a bit for Supergroup pics including this very amp featured on the site. Obviously, the pre-amp side is a bit different to Iommi's, but there's a good reason why I bought this amp. For one thing, there are six channels each with bass, treble and gain controls, a master volume, presence, and an "echo" send/return loop. An FX send/return on a 1969 valve amp - how cool is that?

There are eight preamp valves (tubes). The ECC82/12AU7 (a Mullard) is the phase inverter or PI and one ECC83/12AX7 (Marshall, I think. It's not important) is the mixer. The best bit is that each of the six channels has its own valve to handle channel gain and EQ. So, I've used different valves to give the channels different flavours (WARNING - my anorak rustled a bit when I typed the next section):

1) Brimar CV4024. Butter, a lovely, rich clean sound for guitar and vintage basses. Also, about 70% of the output of a 12AX7 so handy for hot pups or active basses.

2) General Electric blackplate 5751. Again, about 70% of 12AX7 gain. Very controlled, doesn't lose its grip even when dialled high. Good for electro-acoustic or piezo bridges.

3) GE 12AX7WA. Low noise 12AX7, great stage, my favourite for bass and straight rhythm guitar.

4) Mullard ECC83. New in its box, only a few hours use, actually an I63 made at Philips Heerlen plant, not a Blackburn Mull. Best channel for bluesy players and those who like to control the distortion using their touch. Typical "bark" - if you've used these valves before.

Channels 5+6 were modified by the previous owner to overdrive the gain stage by removing an input resistor. This can be reversed if you want, but it doesn't harm anything and gives a couple of interesting variants. I've put an Edicron (Lizhou made) in 5 for crunch and a high-gain Groove Tubes in 6 for fuzz-like tone. If the GT is a bit too harsh for you, I'd suggest an RFT, Mazda or Sylvania is worth a try. The EL34s are Svetlanas (the St Petersburg originals, not the New Sensor remakes) and they're OK. I've never really liked Svets but I'll leave it to you to decide if something else suits. Important the power section is not at all crisp clean (it would've made a rubbish PA) and is much more like a Marshall than, say, a HiWatt. Tesla E34Ls might clean it up but it's just as tempting to go with the crunch (I've heard Electro-Harmonix 6CA7s and they're not a bad sub for pricey Mullard EL34s).

If you have an A-B-Y footswitch, this is the perfect amp to use it on. But now here are some downsides... It is not for "original condition" freaks. There are some (mostly cosmetic) changes. It has been recovered (very neatly) in a navy blue vinyl. The back panel (removed for pics) is in the original black tolex. Some marker pen arrows are on the Plexi front (I can remove these if asked) but Channels 5+6 have been more permanently marked by drilling out some of the plexi and marking in red. Round the back, the Bulgin socket was removed and a mains lead hardwired in place. You can reverse this or have an IEC "kettle" socket installed. The previous (a bass player) had Neutrik Speakon connectors fitted in place of the original 1/4" jacks. Also, the six channels' EQ are the same, and set up for general/voice. I find B=3, T=7 works for me but it's really easy for a solder-monkey to change pots and caps and get a killer EQ. Have a look at http://amps.zugster.net/articles/tone-stacks and http://www.duncanamps.com/ for great ideas on how to create some classics. I never got round to this next step, but it's not major work and even a tech wouldn't charge a bomb. Email me for more advice.

Impedance can be switched through 4, 8 and 16ohms and the mains voltage can be switched from 110V through to 240V so it's fine for Stateside or Europe. It's also comfortably under 25kg

Guest Gasss
Ah' date=' but this one has another, smaller hole on the side where you can plug it into your amp, or more likely, a PA.

As you can see from the pics, Dylan and Weller have decided to do just that.[/quote']

Do you mean a Cow Stick? I saw Bert Jansch play one in 1997.

Been on eBay - no takers.

I've been using it (reasonably happily) while advertising it for sale.

It's good and I like it again, but I'd prefer a Powerball.

I can only get a Powerball when this goes though, if that makes sense?

Surely someone will want it as I'm going reasonably low on price... :S

• 1 month later...

Many thanks to Paul (dieselfeet). I highly recommend him as a buyer/seller too as he is a great guy and made everything very easy during our transaction!

Hope you enjoy the Mesa man!

The Powerball came yesterday - you should grab one of them too! Simply astonishing!

Cheers again dude, James.

Many thanks to Paul (dieselfeet). I highly recommend him as a buyer/seller too as he is a great guy and made everything very easy during our transaction!

Hope you enjoy the Mesa man!

The Powerball came yesterday - you should grab one of them too! Simply astonishing!

Cheers again dude' date=' James.[/quote']

You're welcome James - and for all yooz out there who didn't consider buying the Mesa - thanks :up: - otherwise I wouldn't have had the opportunity of purchasing this wee masterpiece. Top condition too.

Good luck with the Engl, wish I'd been there to see yer wee face when it arrived !!!

Speaking of good amps, I finally got a shot of a Hughes & Kettner Trilogy today - F*** Me !!! Absolutely astounding :up:

The guys at Merchant City in Glasgow even lent me a cloth to wipe the drool off it !!!

Top shop by the way - I bought a Yamaha acoustic and a PRS and they could not have been more helpful.

My missus was with me and "nipped" into one of the boutique near George Square for "two minutes".

Half an hour later she's still there, so I took the Yamaha out and started busking just to piss her off - I made just over 30 !!!!

Not bad for a first attempt and 40 minutes work :up:

Being the philanthropist that I am tho' - I gave the money to a disheveled but polite & decent looking Big Issue salesman who was across the road :up:

DZL

ps - my earlier "support your local shops/economy" post will no doubt come up and bite me in the ass for buying in Glasgow, but like Angel of Death's mum, I'm from down that way, so I guess it's OK o_O

Guest DustyDeviada

Yep, Merchant City Music is a great store, I always stock up on strings when I'm down there, £3.50 for D'addarios or something.

I also bought my Knopfler strat, a Les Pauls Standard Lite and a Marshall amp from them, top guys to deal with.