aberdeen-music

bass effects pedals

I'd recommend Electro Harmonix pedals (www.ehx.com). They do some amazing pedals.

Some Boss pedals are pretty good too and relatively cheap. Check out www.gak.co.uk they have a pretty good selection for you to have a look through. EBS do some really good distortion pedals but they can be tricky to get a hold of around here so check out www.thebassgallery.com

I'm not too clued up on bass wah but the Jim Dunlop bass wah should do the trick they might have one in R n B.

In my opion you should go straight for EHX, EBS,TC electroincs and i've heard MXR do some mean ass distortion etc. These guys are beyond what the Boss pedals can give you and although Boss certainly ain't bad i'd say save that bit more aside for one of the bad asses mentioned above.

Good luck finding what you want

Guest lime ruined my life

EHX builds tend to be quite variable, and are semi-renowned for bad craftmanship and poor quality parts. Thats not to say they are all rubbish.

Zoom multiFX pedals are pretty well known for having bad distortions.

i just thought i'd weight the advice a bit more evenly :)

Guest five years

tech 21 sansamp bass driver d.i. is all you'll ever need for overdrive, the onboard eq is ace too, you can get a great valve amp sound even through a tiny practice amp with this thing. i love it. :D

for wah, get a jim dunlop 105Q. ace and there's one going for £70 second hand at the mo on bassworld.co.uk. for distortion, it's more of a taste thing. my board has a big muff which i love and a ODB-3 which is decent for some things but pretty weak in general.

in other news, i've just added to my collection with a flanger and a bass synthesizer pedal, both nice and cheap second hand and both likely to cause some serious disturbance. you don't even know cutting through till you've heard someone destroying the peace with a bass synth pedal :D

also, for a sansamp like alex is talking about, there are 2 for sale on bassworld too. one at £80 and one at £110.

/x

i saw a guy using one at a gig we played and we got chatting and i looked into it quite a bit. the boss pedals get fairly mixed reviews but they retail pretty high and i'm getting it for £50 so i'm happy to experiment and try and make a racket as much as possible and if it doesn't work out, i might even make a profit shifting it on ebay if i'm lucky!! they have a sweet function that lets one note ring ni a kinda loop style and then you can do other crazy shit over the top of it which i quite like the sound of too! i do like to experiment tho and i've not been playing enough bass for the last year or so, so i need something to reinvigorate me and bring me back into the fold!

/x

For distortion don't buy a bass distortion pedal. Buy a Hughes and Kettner Warp factor distortion, it seriously is the best distortion sound you will ever hear on a bass. After playing live and seeing bands for 6 years, i still haven't heard a better sound.

Guest Gasss
Couldn't agree with you more about the build quality' date=' I have lots of EH pedals, and they're always breaking down...[/quote']

I had an interesting series of emails with a guy from EH regarding my frustrations with dying Bigmuffs. His defence was that at least they were built to the exact same specifications as the 70s originals (which is a lie). He eventually admitted that all his own pedals were modified for extra reliability.

sorry for dragging this off topic.

The new ashdown bass pedals look pretty good.

Guest five years
hey alex (or anyone who owns)' date=' how much of an overdrive does the sansamp give? like enough to combat actual overdrive units?

i might get.[/quote']

it doesn't give you that god-awful fuzz most distortion pedals do...just raises the gain slightly, gives a really good crunch, that sits REALLY well in the mix but the bass is still audible. plus, it doubles as a di box, so you have more control over the actual sound you actually are making out front :)