New Found Power

Buy the black album guitar book.

It has cool stuff for beginners through to advanced players:

TOTAL BEGINNER: Enter Sandman intro/main riff

BEGINNER: Sad But True intro/main riff

BEG/INT: The unforgiven (except solo)

INTERMDIATE: Through The Never intro riff

INTERMEDIATE: Nothing Else Matters solo

INT/ADV: Wherever I may Roam (whole song)

ADVANCED: Enter Sandman solo

VERY ADVANCED: Struggle Within Solo

Practise like fuck until you can gradually play more and more of it.

Originally posted by feeble!:

Yo dan, where can I pick up a copy of this book?

And are there any others like it you can suggest? I want to learn more bluesy scales and techniques, anything you can point out?

Well your best bet is places like HMV/Virgin/Bruce Millers/R&B Music. You could also order it from Bruce Miller's or online at Amazon.co.uk.

Bear in mind that it is a Metallica guitar book, and that you would need to like Metallica and own the Black Album on CD to play along with it - cos it isn't actually a "tutor" book.

For advanced playing, the book "Speed Mechanics" by Troy Stetina (which you can order from Amazon/Millers) is awesome, although very very difficult to do the stuff. It's basically a practise/tutor book for improving your lead guitar. But the exercises are pretty tricky!

For general playing I'd advise buying Total guitar magazine. I used to buy it every month (and 5 is really cheap for what you usually get)

and the best thing to do is work though the songs and stuff. As far as bluesy licks etc goes it can be quite good!

In fact a lot of my early techniques and lead guitar ideas were based around a Rory Gallagher (awesome, dead, Irish blues guitarist) lesson that was in TG 4 or so years ago!

Originally posted by Dan Atom:

Well your best bet is places like HMV/Virgin/Bruce Millers/R&B Music. You could also order it from Bruce Miller's or online at Amazon.co.uk.

Bear in mind that it is a Metallica guitar book, and that you would need to like Metallica and own the Black Album on CD to play along with it - cos it isn't actually a "tutor" book.

For advanced playing, the book "Speed Mechanics" by Troy Stetina (which you can order from Amazon/Millers) is awesome, although very very difficult to do the stuff. It's basically a practise/tutor book for improving your lead guitar. But the exercises are pretty tricky!

For general playing I'd advise buying Total guitar magazine. I used to buy it every month (and 5 is really cheap for what you usually get)

and the best thing to do is work though the songs and stuff. As far as bluesy licks etc goes it can be quite good!

In fact a lot of my early techniques and lead guitar ideas were based around a Rory Gallagher (awesome, dead, Irish blues guitarist) lesson that was in TG 4 or so years ago!

Ok, thanks

Originally posted by Dan Atom:

Buy the black album guitar book.

It has cool stuff for beginners through to advanced players:

TOTAL BEGINNER: Enter Sandman intro/main riff

BEGINNER: Sad But True intro/main riff

BEG/INT: The unforgiven (except solo)

INTERMDIATE: Through The Never intro riff

INTERMEDIATE: Nothing Else Matters solo

INT/ADV: Wherever I may Roam (whole song)

ADVANCED: Enter Sandman solo

VERY ADVANCED: Struggle Within Solo

Practise like fuck until you can gradually play more and more of it.

I did the same thing with the Master Of Puppets book!! Desposible Heroes was my nemisis. I still can't nail that fucking solo:swearing:

Originally posted by Monk Rocker:

I did the same thing with the Master Of Puppets book!! Desposible Heroes was my nemisis. I still can't nail that fucking solo:swearing:

I also bought the 'Rust In Peace' by Megadeth guitar book after about 2 months of playing. I think it collected dust for the next couple of years... BUT i finally learned ALL of Hangar 18 at Christmas just over a year ago and was I a happy man! (still haven't got any where near learning/being able to play a complete other song though...)