aberdeen-music

New Ascension MP3 from the forthcoming Demo...hope you like it

Rickicaz1279

Hi guys...i know us Ascension boys might not be so popularat the mo, but weve been working really really hard on our new demo, and we have a completed song for you to listen to and see the dramatic leap we have taken from our old demo!

anyways, This song is Fortress, and if you like it, please visit our forum on www.ascensionband.co.uk

oh yeah and dont say " its crap " just because its not your style lol :p people have a habit of that these days...

when you click the Link click on the Top one, and Click HI-FI to listen :) or if you already have a soundclick account you can download the MP3

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=479390

yes indeed, we split the costs equally amongst the band and bought a number of high quality recording equipment, and set it up in docs house, its worked so well! Docs done all the mixing himself

on note of the keyboards, yes i did suggest to doc they be louder...but he didnt want them to sort of dominate the whole song, if you know what i mean, just a light little touch in the background is all we wanted from them, as we dont yet have synths in our live set.

and yes there is bass lol, although its very difficult to hear, but if you try listening to the mix before we added the bass line you can DEFINATLY hear the difference....unfortunatly i cant show you that, as we never finalized a mix without bass...but trust me, its there and its doing what we wanted it to do :)

its taking a lot longer to finish the demo due to everyones tight schedules, and the amount of time it takes to get everything juuuust right, we will hopefully have our 2nd song, The time machine for you all to listen to in about 3 weeks or so, maybe sooner. we expect the demo to be about 4 - 5 songs...

as said we have all our own, paid for recording gear now therefore time is no obstacle for us, were taking our time on this one, so were happy with what we are putting out there, and as a result, hopefully everyone else will be to :)

i couldn't listen to it all the way through but the quality of the recording is good, particularly for a home studio. just really not my thing i'm afraid.

as i say the recording sounds pretty good. my only gripe is the drums sound quite dull and this is a problem we've encountered when recording drums at home too. i don't know if you've got a full set of drum mikes or how you're doing it. maybe that's how you want the drums to sound, i don't know. we've countered this problem by setting up the mike(rob from our as yet unnamed band is doing the recording and doesn't have a full set of drum mikes yet) a lot higher than we normally did which leads to a brighter crisper sound. i'm sure a sound engineer(cue ianchristie...) can explain this better.

Guest scott cs.

it would depend on the room you're recording the drums in and also the type of mic's you're using. if you're using 57s, it's going to sound flat. you could invest in a pair of c414s as overheads and just record the drums using those, or mic up the whole kit with different mic's. depends on your budget and the sound you want really.

Guest Les Stroszek

Do this band use a drum machine too? I thought it was a real drummer guess when I listen again it could be a drum machine. They are a little different from us.

As for recording quality. My verdict is. The guitars sound good, drums are quite good but could be improved a bit. If something runs the risk of dominating a mix, your choice of tones, EQ and sounds used are something to concider with this. My guess is that keyboards and guitars could be competiting within a similar frequency range but I still reckon the keyboards could be raised in overall level without drowning out the guitars. Bass could also do with EQ-ing then turning the over-all level up so it is more significant in the mix.

Vocals could do with having parts re-recorded. They start off really strong but later on the performance slips. The singer is really good but I reckon he could do even better on the 2nd half of the recording.

--Mark--

so what does everybody think of the new acension material?

The relentless need to play fast gets very grating after about 10 seconds. The lyrics are funny and the singing is questionable, but it is better than the previous material offered for impartial feedback.

on the vocals, yeah i was consdiering doing the last verse again, holding the high notes just dont cut it with me lol.

and yes, it is a drum machine! i was wondering if anyone would notice :p yes we do have a real drummer though, our old drummer ( wayne scorge ) left not to long ago, just as we were about to record, but even before he left, it was decided that software drums was the way forward for the demo! they have been tweaked a lot to sound more realistic, and its worked really well! but dont worry, we are in the process of teaching up our new drummer ( Theo robertson - New Debassed drummer/ old Descended Drummer ) all of our songs, and should be gigging in a couple of months again...and of course, once this demo is finished. expect much more from the other songs! fortress is by far not our best song, and its already proving to be quite popular. especially on soundclick.com where we remained in the top 10 unsigned metal bands for quite a while.

anyway, i hope the rest of you guys enjoy fortress to :) and all the feedback is good guys! some good constructive critisizm! im glad to see people are giving good honest opinions, and not turning the mistakes into a huge post war about how rubbish they think we are lol.

Guest Les Stroszek

and yes' date=' it is a drum machine! .[/quote']

Ace thats all I was asking in the first place! Its unusual to hear a metal band using a drum machine but I never noticed at first and its done really well even though I've no metal ears so can't comment on the track sorry. Hinestly don't know if its good or not cos its totally outside my spectrum. But good luck anyway drum machines are cool and sure the new drummer will work out. Best of luck!

Yeah, fucking hell, that is a fat guitar sound. The riffage and the drums sound great. As a few other people have mentioned, the vocals in places might need a wee tweak but overall it sounds great. Not a big fan of power-metal in general, I think its probably just the lyrics, but this sounds really good.

PS - Boost the volume of the solo, it's pretty beastin :up: