aberdeen-music

goldblade - tunnels - thur 25 may

The Ghost Of Fudge

Fudge are delighted to present:

GOLDBLADE

at The Tunnels, Carnegies Brae, Aberdeen.

Thursday 25th May 2006.

www.goldblade.com

www.myspace.com/goldblade

1994, Manchester, England: Since the demise of his seminal alt-rock outfit Membranes after ten years and four albums, John Robb had continued his music journalism and moved into TV presenting. Nothing, though, could replace the primal adrenaline rush of rock and roll, and so when he met up with percussionist Wayne Simmonds at a local gym, the pair realised they shared a mutual passion for martial arts and punk rock, and knew that they had to form the definitive rock and roll outfit, forging a molten mix of The Clash's punk rock rush, Fugazi's straight-edged intensity and The MC5's righteous evangelism.

A limited edition EP, Soul Power, was released in 1996, which attracted widespread critical acclaim and drew attention to the band's scorching live act. A year later the album Home Turf was a brash, bull-necked call to arms and the single Strictly Hardcore was a chart bound three-minute manifesto.

Pausing long enough to spend a month in the studio they emerged in 1999 with the second album Drop the Bomb, packed full of their calling card rock 'n' roll but seasoned with all manner of flavours. The disco-tinged Hairstyle found them on the brink of mainstream success, gaining the band single of the week on the prestigious BBC Radio 1 breakfast show and a live appearance on Saturday morning television chart show SMTV. Chart dominance was halted only by the news that their record label had just gone bankrupt...

Stripped down and more raw than ever, the band discarded the keyboards and horn section and embraced their punk rock roots with fervour. Shortly afterwards, 2002's Do You Believe In The Power Of Rock and Roll? was released. With an onstage sound louder than ever, new levels of intensity were reached.

As always the Blade maintained near-constant touring across the world, building a huge live following via everywhere from small clubs shows to arenas and festivals, including Glastonbury. As they toured they continually wrote, with the fourth album Rebel Songs slowly being crafted into shape during gig sound-checks and intensive sessions in their Manchester city centre rehearsal bunker.

Finally released in the spring of 2005 on Captain Oi records, the album is their fiercest statement of punk rock intent yet. Musically it checks off every great punk band of the last thirty years, while lyrically it includes the usual rock staples of sex, violence and social discontent but also finds time to address band obsessions such as ancient history and evolutionary theory.

SUPPORT FROM DEADLOSS SUPERSTAR + 16 AGAIN + TBC

They're back! Gold Blade return, at last! Recent gigs have been wild, with teen moshpits combining with older fans in glorious mayhem. All over the UK people have been celebrating rock'n'roll thrills as they witness the mighty, mighty Gold Blade live on stage

Gold Blade spent the mid-nineties trailblazing the rock'n'roll swagger that's crossed into mainstream, playing over 200 gigs a year taking rock'n'roll to the peopleand the people got it!

And they want more!

Drowned in Sound - 31.03.2005

Rebel Songs

http://www.drownedinsound.com/articles/11821.html

[...]So Rebel Songs' is an angry album then, but this is Goldblade's turf, which means you're never far from a party. Rebel songs, these may be, but John Robb's rants are stuffed with bizarre humour and wry references and, like all the best rock music, at heart Goldblade are great pop. While their 1997 debut Hometurf' lurched violently from boisterous punk anthems to sleazy psychedelic soul and their last effort 'Do You Believe in the Power of Rock'n'Roll?' stuck largely to a pared-down punk blueprint, Rebel Songs' mashes up all manner of seemingly ill-matched styles into some of Goldblade's biggest tunes yet with effortless grace: On the surface of it, these are megadecibel punk-rock anthems pure and simple, but scratch that surface a little and there's all manner of lunacy going on here, from the gonzoid Dick Dale surf guitar on Fighting in the Dancehall' to the equally barmy sea-shanty guitar break on Psycho' , the neo- Clash Ramalama of Cops and Robbers' and Decline' , and even jazz stylings on Government Lies' . The dementedly twisting minor-key melodies lifted from Russian folk music, scattered liberally throughout the songs and rammed in your face with all the subtlety of a band of Cossacks bum-raping Muse's Matt Bellamy with his own guitar while playing Tetris suggest Goldblade picked up more than a few thousand fans on their sold-out tour of Russia while All We Got is Rebel Songs' and Dancehall' have enough angular pop moments amid the dirty Cramps grind and early Manics pomp and circumstance to make fashionable young turks like Franz Ferdinand and Kaiser Chiefs (Goldblade fans to a man) smile. [...] Tommy Mack

Kerrang

'Few could match this razor-wire R'n'B, and no-one else could deliver it with such inspirational focus.' KKKK

Big Cheese 4/5

Classic Rock 7/10

Kerrang Radio

'Imagine Dean Martin meets Motorhead on crack you still wouldn't come close to our frightingly musically ahead Gold Blade are from ther rest of punk rock.'

Leedsmusicscene.net 5/5

'Rebel Songs" is an essential album for anyone, Gold Blade have just delivered an album so perfect it chills the blood.'

Trakmarx

In a world of fakers, rattlesnakers & melody makers, Gold Blade stand resolutely alone. Their three-guitar-heart beats as one finely honed unit conducting a search & destroy mission on complacency.' Playlouder ''gold blade are the distilation of every great punk record you ever heard... 4/5

• 2 weeks later...

i'm currently waiting for MEXICO to get back to me. they're brilliant.

if anyone's able to provide GOLD BLADE with a floor to sleep on, drop me a line and we'll sort out free entry, goodie-bags, and shit. they're very well behaved, i'd put them up myself, but my flat is tiny and crammed with broken guitars, old boxes of fanzines, and huge mounds of cds.

anyone able to help out? they're bringing their sleeping bags. they only need some clean floor space...

• 2 weeks later...

if anyone's able to provide GOLD BLADE with a floor to sleep on' date=' drop me a line and we'll sort out free entry, goodie-bags, and shit. they're very well behaved, i'd put them up myself, but my flat is tiny and crammed with broken guitars, old boxes of fanzines, and huge mounds of cds.

anyone able to help out? they're bringing their sleeping bags. they only need some clean floor space...[/quote']

they can sleep at my house. (the one in aberdeen, obviously.) theres fuckin heaps of room.