aberdeen-music

drum 'n' bass

ragudave

Guest Scott 5FD

i'm looking to get into Drum and Bass and Dub, but i dunno where to start.

i mostly listen to punk and ska, would there be anything the DnB and dub genres that are similar to what i listen to?

tech itch : diagnostics

danny breaks : music for martians

roni size : new forms (double)

alec empire : the destroyer

bill laswell : oscillations (1) (with Ninj)

lamb : lamb

Icarus : kamikaze

photek : MO

source direct : excresising the demons

3rd eye foundation : ghosts (all done with "human beat box")

quoit : properties (mick harris, aka Scorn)

OHMs resistance do a magic range of "good old school" drum n bass 10 and 12" plates....he's (kurt Gluck) got heaps of decent acts on his home grown lable...worth checking out :

http://www.ohmresistance.com/Paudio.html

hard to say, as the drum patterns are not based on the classic breaks (the shadows "apache" for one !)..

its the nature of the beat (to me) that defines it as drum n bass or not..

(jungle = apache breaks etc)

(tech step = fast 4/4 + slow bass)

I don't know..if it makes my arse move, then I'm happy.

Oh man! When Drum and Bass first evolved out of Hardcore and Jungle(or is it Hardcore Jungle?) back in the early 90's I used to go to this small club in London called Speed. The music was truly underground and so inventive - you know, before the Marketing execs started using it for everything. You'd go to the club and Bjork would be their dancing away - probably how she met Goldie. So much quality Drum and Bass...

Try and get hold of the 1st Metalheadz album. Pure quality label compilation. It has perhaps the seminal Drum and bass tune - "Pulp Fiction" by alex reece. Get this tune at all costs.

Anything by Dillinja...

Anything by Photek...

Yes - Goldie's "Timeless"

Roni Size and Krust.

The old stuff by T-Power...

Yes - I was and am a massive fan of Drum and Bass - but like everything, there is a lot of crap too...

Originally posted by Ben AWOL:

back in the early 90's I used to go to this small club in London called Speed.

no way ben, i went to that club a few times then too, whenever i was in london...

i remember standing in the queue and the bass rumbling up the stairs and out the door and i couldn't wait to get in! also, i remember being puzzled as to where the mc was as i could hear him but not see him - then i looked round to see him next to me, perched on a bar stool at the bar! laid back or what...

and i have to say that seeing Chemistry & Storm play there was a massive influence on me buying my own decks and becoming a dnb dj myself (catch me at the next Jungle Nation by the way!!)....and i STILL sometimes have to decide between eating and buying records each week!

sharon

• 2 weeks later...

Best d&b track is Doc Scott 'Shadow Boxing', it is awesome.

Also worth checking out is some of the more jazz and lighter styles of d&b, Photek 'Hidden Camera', Guy Called Gerald's album 'Black Secret Tehnology' is one of my favourite albums of all time, regardless of style.

Got a great Moving Shadow compliation,its worth hunting down. Goldie/Metal Heads 'Timeless', takes a lot of beating.