aberdeen-music

Help with TV/Sky/VCR/2nd TV point connections?

Rachie

That title is a little confusing. Basically I need some help on making sure the aeriel wiring between my TV, Skybox and VCR is as it should be. I have an additional tv point in my bedroom which has never produced a signal, but I am told that this is possibly because of the aeriel set up in my living room not being correct?

Here's the confusing piece of text I was sent by a sales rep attempting to "help", if anyone can help me make any sense of it that'd be great.

"If you have satellite TV there will be an aerial into your satellite decoder box, the communal aerial will also be into your satellite box. You need to take co-axial aerial cable from 'aux out' (possibly aka "video out or video out 2") on the decoder box to the second TV point. Should you not have satellite TV then the communal aerial should be fitted into your TV with a splitter - one branch for aerial in and the other for aerial out to the second TV point. If your TV is wired through a DVD or VCR player then treat these as satellite decoder. We do not supply the splitter or co-axial cable."

I have co-axial cables a-plenty. I have a satellite box. And what seems like a million zillion connections between each.

Firstly: Does anyone think they'd be help me with this? Before I waste time typing out all the different connections? Even just to say confirm that these connections have been done properly? All help would be very much appreciated.

i could help if i wasnt in sterling...

scart is the way forward, i used that on my tv... tv has 2 scart bitty's... vcr in one, sky + in the other, set one to record from the other, and hey presto...

im sure i have it set up differently in my room, but as i said i am in sterling so i cant go check...

Guest DustyDeviada

If you have Sky then maybe don't bother with the aerial? However there could be occassions when you want to tape something on one channel and watch another, so I would do this:

Connect one co-axial lead from the wall to the "RF In" on the video.

Connect another co-axial lead from the "RF out" on the video to the "RF In" on the telly.

Connect one scart lead from the "TV" scart connector at the back of the satellite box to the scart in your telly

Connect another scart lead to Aux 1 or similar on the video

Connect another scart lead from the other scart out on the video to the telly.

All this assumes that you have at least two scarts on both the telly and the video and that there is actually a signal coming from the aerial socket in the wall.

I should have mentioned before, it's not our living room tv with the Sky etc that's the problem. It's that my non satellite TV in my bedroom when connected to the addition aeriel point in my bedroom doesn't get a signal, and I've been told it could be to do with the wiring of the co-ax cables from the master aeriel point in the living room, despite the living room tv (and sky) working fine.

Here's the current list of connections:

From the wall Socket:

"Sat" -> into "Dish Input" on the Skybox

"Return" -> into "RF Out 2" on the Skybox

"TV" -> into "Aeriel In" on the Skybox

Additionally from the Skybox itself:

"RF Out1" -> Into "RF In" on the VCR

"TV" Scart -> Into "Ext1" Scart on the TV

And from the VCR:

"RF Out" -> Into "Aeriel" (or at least a symbol for what I assume is Aeriel) on the TV

"TV-RGB Composite" Scart -> Into "Ext2" Scart on the TV

And Ross I didn't mean come round to my flat and help. Although thanks for the offer...

All this assumes that you have at least two scarts on both the telly and the video and that there is actually a signal coming from the aerial socket in the wall.

My suspicion is that the aerial socket in the wall isn't wired up properly in the bedroom. I might be way off, but I'd expect that the socket should receive the same amount of signal as all other sockets in the building.

Might be way off, though.

Yes, that's been my suspicion too for the last 9 months, but naturally darling Stewarty Milne is trying to get out of sending someone to look at it cause they assume that naturally my own connection has caused the problem.

I just want someone who might know what they're doing to review those connections and say if they think it's correct or not. So that I can turn round and say to Stewarty Milne Customer Services (who I've been in contact with so many times over the last 9months that I even have the personal email address of the sales rep so I can contact directly) "This is your problem. Fix it."

Aye, frustrated a wee bit as you can probably tell.

Incidentally it's not my own connecting, it was the guy who set up the digibox who wired it all up so I assumed he knew what he was doing... especially since it works fine...

Yes' date=' that's been my suspicion too for the last 9 months, but naturally darling Stewarty Milne is trying to get out of sending someone to look at it cause they assume that naturally my own connection has caused the problem.[/quote']

Okay, try this -

Run a cable from the "TV" point in the wall socket to the "Return" point in the wall socket, then try the socket in your bedroom. If that works, then the problem is at your end - if not, then the problem is definitely with them.

That's assuming "Return" is what I think it is - which is some sort of connection to the bedroom. If it's not, then...hmm.

Guest bluesxman

I was going to reply yesterday but was too hungover to think straight - I suspect that what Cloud suggests is correct, the socket in your bedroom is incorrectly wired/unwired, I don't see why the set-up in the living room should affect the other socket.

Loosen the bedroom socket off the wall and see if there is any wiring even attached, that could answer your question quickly. If there is wiring there then that's more tricky, you need to know how it attaches to the aerial, I imagine in flats there will be a series of connections to the main aerial somewhere - loft? Roof?

Rachie, having looked at the aerial socket in Gemma's room I think we can safely say her socket at least is either wired incorrectly or not even attached to the main aerial on top of the building. Get Stewart Milne round to take a look at these sockets.

Do you mean so you can watch Sky in your bedroom? If so, you need to have a co-ax coming from one of the RF-Out on the Sky box and somehow going to the RF-In on the tv in your room. I use an extension for this but if you've got nowhere to hide 20-odd metres of cable it's a pain in the ass. Alternatviely, If all the aerial sockets in your flat/house are supposed to be connected together then the main socket should have an output (connected to aerial on roof) and input (which can send the signal from your Sky box to all the other sockets). If you wanted to set it up for recording terrestrial tv or watching terrestrial tv in any room then connect co-ax from output on main socket to RF-In on Sky box, then from the 2nd RF-Out on the sky box to RF-In on the video.

Hope that's not too confusing.

Guest DustyDeviada
Get Stewart Milne round to take a look at these sockets.

Yes' date=' insist that he does it personally. ;)

Do you mean so you can watch Sky in your bedroom? If so, you need to have a co-ax coming from one of the RF-Out on the Sky box and somehow going to the RF-In on the tv in your room. I use an extension for this but if you've got nowhere to hide 20-odd metres of cable it's a pain in the ass. Alternatviely, If all the aerial sockets in your flat/house are supposed to be connected together then the main socket should have an output (connected to aerial on roof) and input (which can send the signal from your Sky box to all the other sockets). If you wanted to set it up for recording terrestrial tv or watching terrestrial tv in any room then connect co-ax from output on main socket to RF-In on Sky box, then from the 2nd RF-Out on the sky box to RF-In on the video.

Hope that's not too confusing.

I've got one of those AV Sender boxes, no cables for me. :up:

Guest DustyDeviada
No cables at all? How do you receive your RF signal?

http://www.oneforall-int.com/index.html

This is the one I have, it doesn't use RF at all, it takes a Scart input at one end and gives you a scart output at the other.

The best part is it also sends the remote control signal, so you can change channels and stuff. Excellent bit of kit. :up:

Rachie' date=' having looked at the aerial socket in Gemma's room I think we can safely say her socket at least is either wired incorrectly or not even attached to the main aerial on top of the building. Get Stewart Milne round to take a look at these sockets.[/quote']

Yer I intend to, cheers for fixing the other problem with the disabled telly though.

:)

It's not for watching Sky in my room, it's simply for watching regular tv, can't even do that right now.

And Shar... you too could have a doraemon avatar...should I get round to making another...